Marlen's Blogs

Marlen

Re: Marlen's Blogs

Postby Marlen » 04 Nov 2017, 20:47

606. Stepping into Self Creation

Or how to walk through the Mother-Theresa type of personality design in order to start considering myself in the equation of self-creation

I’ve been working with something practically throughout the past month and that has to do with embracing the new potentials within my life and letting go of various ways in which I had kept myself limited within an idea of not being able to step beyond what I would had considered my life ‘had to be’ like.

In essence this specifically has to do with embracing the enjoyment that I can experience when taking on and walking the opportunity to start focusing on what I truly want to live in my life and embracing the moments as I walk through that, letting go of my constant worry/preoccupation about what I ‘have to do’ and not allowing myself to enjoy life essentially, because of constantly thinking that ‘not everyone in the world can enjoy what I am enjoying in the moment’ therefore using that as a way to deny, suppress and even hide any genuine experience of enjoyment in self creation and hiding that satisfaction with myself because of what I think, believe or perceive ‘others’ will feel about themselves if ‘they’ are not being able to live that/do the same for themselves in their own lives.

This has been a lifelong pattern, where very early on in school years I decided I didn’t want to be seen as ‘superior’ to others due to getting certain grades in school, therefore I created this idea that I had to ‘diminish myself’ in one way or another so as to be ‘more equal’ to the rest of the group, even if that didn’t necessarily implied me lowering my skills or grades to be ‘equal to others,’ but this did exist to a level of not wanting to be truly outstanding and embracing my potential because of thinking that ‘others can’t have ‘the same’ as me, therefore I cannot place myself ‘above’ others or ‘have it easier/better than others,’ which became a point of self-sabotage in seeking to ‘be at the background’ and not truly take that position that I know I could have taken in my life, because of not wanting to be seen as ‘more than’ others… not realizing that it was all in my head in my own constructions or paradigms of superiority and inferiority.

Fortunately I know I am not the only one that has experienced this and that it is a fairly common thing to go through when certain things come with ease in one’s life, and the reasons for this are currently for the most part unknown to me, but all I know is that it involves more responsibility at the same time in ensuring that one can then stand in a position in this world where we can then do what we can to assist and support others to realize and understand our ability to create our potential in our lives.

So, the way that I decided to live early on in my life is to become like Mother Theresa, which Is why I call it the mother-theresa complex, where there was this sense of martyrdom and wanting to ‘stay’ at the level of those that were quite troubled in their lives and having conflict within and without of themselves, because in one way or another I thought I could help them – or in a way thinking that their lives, their difficulty and struggle was ‘more real’ than having things come ‘with ease’ in one’s life, where there’s no visible struggle, no suffering, no pain so to speak – therefore I deliberately created conflict and struggle in my life just to have ‘something to talk about’ with others and ‘relate’ to their lives, yep.

This lead me to create relationships with friendships or partnerships where I had to diminish myself in my living potential in order to apparently be able to ‘support another’ to eventually stand ‘equal to me’ at the level that I was aware I could live and embody in my life. The result always led me to over and over and over again realize that I cannot keep trying to ‘do good’ and ‘help others’ that by their own decision and nature are not doing all that they can to stand up from their limited position – in whichever way it was, financially, emotionally, family wise, etc. – and every single time I tried to be the one that ‘helped them out’ until I got to experience the consequences that result from me trying to ‘do good’ to another in a relationship and it simply became an unsustainable point that I had to sort out in a single decision to stop creating relationships and personalities that stand for my own and another’s self-diminishment.

In a way, this implies having walked through the consequences of believing that I had to be there to ‘help’ others even when they are clearly not helping themselves out, trying to ‘do good’ and in doing so, believe that it was some sort of life mission to do so for me. Well, I certainly was missing myself in the equation where I’ve seen how much I’ve compromised myself for an overt consideration ‘towards others’ and missing myself in truly and honestly asking ‘Is this really what I want to live and create in my life?’ and looking back at my previous relationship for example, I see how I was diminishing myself in my living potential in order to create a satisfactory environment to assist another, even if the other person was not necessarily willing to support themselves to begin with. That’s self-compromise and that had become the very constant in my life, the masked ‘good-doer’ personality that kept me bound to a limited position in my life.

I still got much more to walk through when it comes to this personality for sure. An example is how I had a nagging resistance to share pictures in social media about my latest trip to be with my new partner, because ‘oh not everyone can enjoy that, they will feel bad about it’ which in fact reflects back to how I had resistance to watch others developing and creating their lives because I wasn’t really doing that for myself at the time.

And this is a simple example of many other thoughts and considerations that I’ve created in my mind in relation to ‘others’ where I would not be open to the world for example about things that I’ve accomplished or simply enjoyed because ‘what will the world say about me just ‘showing off’ my success and self enjoyment?’ Instead of realizing that I was the one that was judging others’ lives and shares as ‘flaunting’ or ‘showing off’ their lives or ‘being too positive’ associating all of it with ‘not everyone can have such enjoyment and recreation in life’ which was my own constant judgment as an excuse to not actually do the necessary decisions and changes in my life to dare to create that for myself as well. So it never really was ‘about others’ but it always has been about myself limiting my ability to step beyond the idea of ‘who I had to be’ in relation to others and for once, start focusing on myself, my self creation.

This is also something quite cool to look at in terms of how I had been judging those shares in terms of pictures, relationships, living creations as ‘too good to be true’ or ‘too positive’ for my previous frontal personality of being more geared to remain in limitation, remain hooked on ‘life’s misery’ and focusing on ‘all that’s wrong and bad in the world’, all the tragedies and in that attempting to ‘change things’ while refusing to embrace and create such living potential in me… yep, wow! Isn’t it? But it is perfectly masked in the ‘good doer’ mentality of deciding to remain in limitation or ‘helping someone out’ even if that means limiting my own potential. That’s the mother-Theresa complex right there, the martyrdom construct of ‘I have to also suffer because the majority of the world is suffering too.’

Well, that’s clear to me that’s definitely NOT the way to live and I’ve been proving to myself that yes, all that it takes is actually having the courage to step into such potential that we can develop when having the principles, the intent, and will to do the actual work it takes to get to live the lives that we actually see are best for ourselves and in that, realizing that would in fact the way of living that is best for everyone as well.

What did I have to learn to go of? Morality and judgments. This strange sense of ‘compassion’ where I thought I could not even display a picture of being in a supportive relationship where I’m actually having fun and enjoying life because of already thinking – read projecting my own judgments - about ‘all the many that don’t have such a cool relationship and oh what will they feel when they see that?’ Well, I have had to start shedding such projections of my own with regards to what I used to actually think and feel when looking at other people’s pictures and now embrace my own point of creation and living potentials.

I also have to realize that what I am able to live, express and create right now in my life hasn’t been entirely a ‘ride in the park’ so to speak, there’s been a lot of self-work and trial and error situations and relationships where I have had to continually change my course of actions in order to redefine myself, and this doesn’t come easily and has required a lot of courage at times to take drastic decisions to do so, as I’ve shared in the past months as well in my writings.

But I am entirely happy and glad I had the guts and courage to do so, otherwise I would still be stuck in believing that I had to remain ‘limited’ in order to support others… that’s definitely a faulty idea right there and now I am working on embracing the ‘new me’ or the me that has always been there, but was covered up with all kinds of fears, judgments and morality as to why I wasn’t embracing my potential, my ability to enjoy life in creating for example a relationship that is supportive, where there are plans in common, where there are principles in common and the same foundation and direction of what we want to do in our lives.

Why should I feel ashamed or hide what I have decided to create in my life? It’s ludicrous! But that’s how I would usually operate in my mind, having to ‘remain limited’ in order to ‘be normal’ or be like ‘most of the people,’ yep, wow! But that’s exactly what I did in my life before, making decisions that I fully knew were not supportive yet did them anyways because of wanting to be more like ‘the majority’ with lots of inner conflict and struggle and try and ‘help them out,’ which I am quite aware by now I created on purpose to have something to ‘share in common’ with others… yep, not kidding, that’s how I created a bunch of personalities based on books, tormented artists and the rest of it so that I could create a sense of being a ‘lost soul’ and have my life be seemingly ‘tormented’ and full of doom and gloom because I was not willing to embrace life and what we can in fact do to live a fulfilling and supportive life.

However I don’t regret it at all, it has allowed me to also get to understand about real struggle, pain, discomfort, emotional experiences and how far and deep these can go if we don’t act on them. It has also allowed me to get comfortable with my own ‘dark side’ which is surely there, and in that I have been able to now understand what it means to change oneself from these more ‘negative affinities’ in life to simply supportive ways of living, without going into the opposite end of ‘fluffy positivity’ so to speak either.

Now here I’m not placing myself in a ‘special case’ either, but I share this because I am sure there’s more people that have this sense of self-sabotage to not really embrace one’s achievements, success, enjoyment or happiness in life because of believing that we have to always feel the pain, feel the struggle of the majority of the world.

To me this is challenged with something as simple as demonstrating affection for someone in a public place, hell! I would not do that before! Because of thinking/projecting that ‘other people would feel bad for not being able to have that in their lives!’ which was me over-considering others’ lacks, which are only reflecting my own judgments and my own reactions when seeing what others have and what I had not yet decided to create in my life.

So once that I’ve realized that I’ve been the sole creator of this diminishment, these judgments and limitations, I can at the same time decide to embrace myself, and nope, it’s not easy. I resisted posting anything about me enjoying life for weeks on end, just because of judging that as ‘too conceited’ or ‘too vain’ or ‘too positive’ or whatever… yet all of those are labels, experiences that I had judged in my past - which I am now walking in real time – are a way for me to finally embrace and let the world know that yep, I can embrace the fruit of my own self-work as well as embracing the potential and capacity I have to now create my life, live fully and trust myself in continuing to take on supportive actions and decisions that will be best for me and others as well.

A very supportive audio that allowed me to see this design is the following one Bringing Yourself Down when Others are Down - Quantum Mind Self Awareness, so check it out if you can relate to this kind of ‘design’ in our personalities.

Of course none of this would be possible without the Desteni Process so this is me sharing the result of years of walking this process in order to finally start stepping into the being and embodying the person that I truly decide to live and express Guiño

Marlen

Postby Marlen » 08 Nov 2017, 07:56

607. Understanding Individual Self-Honesty

There is a relevant thing that I got to recently finally understand about how there's this tendency in me that has become ‘so much me’ that I don’t actually notice unless there’s immediate feedback for me to look at it, and this is not an entirely ‘new’ thing for me but it led me to understand some self-honesty 101 basics – again! lol.

So! The point is when I want others to live and do things 'my way' as 'the best way' when it comes to approaching a particular experience, pattern or reaction, and I use sentences like 'If I were you I would be doing this & that' or 'what I have done in such situations is this/that so, you can consider doing it as well' where I don’t really see how even if words may not sound ‘malicious’ as such, this is where I have to apply self-honesty and observe myself in terms of ‘who am I’ in those words I am saying, what is the background physical experience, what are the desired outcomes of it?

What I did notice is that as there was building pressure as a reaction within me coming from a desire to get things ‘worked through’ the way that I wanted so that I could obtain a desired outcome through another ‘doing something the way I see would be best’ in terms of processing a point/pattern. And it is cool because this kind of ‘building pressure’ about something is not an ‘invisible experience’ to me and I can barely communicate or function properly if I have any subtle reaction that I am not directing.

So, I am grateful that there was communication around this point so that I could realize how I had changed my voice tonality and how I was imposing myself in order to get things done ‘my way’ yet coming through as a form of support. Now this is why it becomes tricky to look at it as something to keep an eye on for people like me that tend to be a bit too focused on controlling others or expecting others to do things the same way I do them or deal with them, yet at the same time I have to be very clear on seeing whether I am expecting, wanting or needing a particular outcome which becomes this ‘nagging’ force behind my words and expression, and that’s the point that I had to walk through in writing for myself, where I had to ask myself what was my self-interest point in that situation? What was I expecting? What was I desiring? What did I have to let go of and in doing so, genuinely understand and embrace another person in the totality of who they are and how they walk their own living process? Which was quite revealing and settling for myself to do.

However the bottom line here is how I got to remind myself how many times I want thing to be done in a specific way, having certain expectations of how things can be ‘worked through’ and believe that if ‘this’ works for me, then it ‘should work for you too’ – when the reality of the situation is that in that, I am making of my process, my own understanding and self-honesty a formula that I am trying to impose onto others and in that, forgetting about each individual’s unique process, awareness and development of their own solutions in life based on each one’s particular and unique living experience. That’s that! I am seeing how more and more comparison and judgment are one of the main ways in which I tend to become very absolutist, extremist and forget about truly seeing, understanding and embracing others in who they are/as they are/what they are.

What I see then is that I require to learn to not immediately go into the 'do as I did' mentality or 'do as I have proven to myself something works' because there are no real formulas in learning to walk through our minds and living our lives, no matter how similar each one of us might be, we cannot ever really copy and paste solutions with one another, nor expect similar results at all. This also comes as a relevant detail to share here considering that many of us walking the Desteni Process share our realizations, our practical solutions – yet, they are all but references, paths, ways, methods that may or may not assist others, yet in sharing them it is simply realizing that each individual has a particular way to get from point A to point B in self-change, and the variety of ways and methods will most likely be as many as individuals walking their living process, and that’s what’s also cool about learning from each other, referencing writings and solutions, so that we can then ultimately come up with our own ways and methods and grow the network of supportive words to create solutions in our lives, which are very much needed.

I also realized how I have to be patient, flexible and understanding of how other people walk through their own points and in that, understand what it means to be supportive without imposing myself/my ways/ my methods. If anything I can only share how I have walked similar points, but in that, I have to also make sure that my sharing is not coming from a desire of another person ‘taking it on’ and following it to the T and get the same result… nope, that’s not how life works.

What this opened up is how there have been times where I had made of my own application of self-honesty almost a religion, a one way or the highway look at life and walking through our challenges, patterns or limitations 'as they come' and ‘in the moment’ or ‘right now’ which sure, some people can do, but not everyone has to, not everyone is at that space and moment in their lives to do so either.

Therefore I had to ask myself, what is the rush to push something onto someone this way? The answer is a desire for a person to realize certain things, potentials and obviously have to check what kind of self-interest or personal benefit would I get from such ‘instant application’ – or what am I fearing in case it’s not ‘happening’? So that I can be clear and devoid of expectations or hidden agendas.

I also have to consider that whenever I push any realization or suggestion of ‘what to do’ onto anyone, I can also be preventing them from being their own drive and decision to move, change or align certain aspect in their lives - I realize that it comes through as a push that can prevent the other person from realizing it themselves, and rather understanding that there's a pace, a space and time for each person to decide how they want to walk their process and their life, I cannot really force or rush anything as such.

From this I realize I can bring things to someone’s awareness, so as to prevent further misunderstandings or an unnecessary escalation of assumptions leading to conflicts, which is why communication is so relevant at all times when even the most ‘subtle’ movements come up within oneself in relation to another person. So, I definitely have to keep on practicing my understanding and consideration towards others, to be patient and generally ‘slow down’ when it comes to wanting to ‘process something’ and ‘get it done/out of the way’ in a rushed manner, which is more of an approach that comes from a lack of understanding of how life takes place, which is moment by moment… can’t really rush anything and no matter how much one can write about the point or matter in the moment, there will still be a process that unfolds in real time – space and time – to actually live the changes, so, I definitely have to chill with this ‘rush’ to get things done asap.

If I look at it from my personal perspective, I would also feel pressured if someone came to tell me what to do and how to walk through a point, and it is quite interesting that I had not seen that within myself as something I would not want for myself, yet it was disguised as an idea of support where I wasn't in fact considering other people and their ways, methods and relationship with themselves in my usual ‘push’ to ‘process’ certain things, so that’s where self-honesty and this process, as much as there are common principles and tools, suggested ways and methods, there’s ultimately no cookie-cutter solution that fits-all the same way, and that’s why the principles stand the same, yet the ways and methods are as varied and unique as there are human beings walking it.

What I learn from this is being considerate, understanding and flexible in taking another's process into consideration, to not fully go ahead of myself and themselves in trying to assist in ways that become an imposition and ultimately a limitation for the process of SELF Realization: it’s personal, it’s individual, it’s unique and cannot be forced or directed by anyone else but oneself. Yep! Seems tautological but! I seem to forget about it, therefore writing it down is the way to integrate these realizations as well.

In that, I take it back to self, being able to trust myself in walking my own points, sharing how I've done mine without an expectation of others to do it ‘the same way’, but to have a simple reference of the many ways that our lives can be lived, redirected and recreated. Mine is one way, but there are as many ways as there are human beings in this life and that's then the individuality in equality.

We all walk the same process but each one's is entirely unique and that's what makes it so fascinating because then the beauty of getting to know someone implies also getting to know how they decide to take on points of change in their life, how they are discovering things about themselves, how they face particular challenges, what they decide to live on as a solution, what worked for them, what didn't work and so forth, and that's what I find actually fascinating, more so than me wanting to push certain 'solutions' right away, which is by all means limiting and unnecessary – done deal, lol.

So in this, patience is a key word for me and understanding, because I tend to jump ahead into seeing how a plus b equals c, why not doing it right now? Instead of realizing that not everyone operates in this way and that I can also consider being more flexible and gentle with myself when I sometimes also approach a point of self-investigation in an attempt to 'get it all done' in one go, which is not really possible or even desirable because then again, the drive and desire that’s driving this investigation is ‘to get it done’ and wanting to be living a result, but in that, I’m missing out myself as the living process of developing the solution, learning from my mistakes, understanding the space and time it takes to create solutions and the enjoyment there is in getting to know how others approach similar situations as well, which becomes also a way to expand myself.

So in terms of facing a point within me, I realize I can trust myself in seeing whether I can direct it in the moment or have to let it brew so to speak, let it develop, sometimes let it be until I can see what a particular experience, reaction or pattern is all about, instead of immediately wanting to 'tackle it’ which comes with this rush and fear of creating consequences or fear of making mistakes or not getting a desired outcome, etc. and that self-interest is ultimately what creates all of this ‘subtle’ yet very noticeable movement within that becomes a rigidity, a stiffness… now I know it’s the me that wants to control and then I know I have to ask myself basic questions to see what I have to consider, understand, let go of, embrace and move into a point of consideration towards others.

What becomes relevant with this realization as well is how with this consideration of giving myself space and time to actually ‘walk’ the process of self-change and self-creation, at the same time I am aware that I can trust myself in actually doing it, so as to not go into the extreme of being too lax about it or not actively being 'on it'- without forcing it. As with everything, it's a fine balance to not go into the extremes, so what I became aware of is the extreme of push, force and imposition that a point of intended support can come with – even more so when there are hidden agendas that I have to sort out for myself first - instead of giving space and time for self-creation and self-realization, not only towards others but starting within myself first of all. Yep! Not the first time I share about this control and imposition point, but I rather write it out again so that it stays fresh in my awareness as well, because essentially process is walked in every moment, so can’t be really ‘done’ with something if new dimensions/aspects of one pattern or personality open up in a different situation or with a different person than before, so in that sense each opportunity again is unique to look at these points.

A great audio support that I recommend checking out to understand more about these ‘mini-possession’ moments is Living Nightmare: Background Noise Possessions at Eqafe.com, which has a lot to do with these interactions and communication in relationships, so that we can support each other to not escalate an experience within us, but can assist one another in becoming aware of it so that each one can then decide how to take the point on and walk through it.

Thanks for reading

Marlen

Postby Marlen » 10 Nov 2017, 06:58

608. Being Genuine

Or how to create the space to be real in our interactions while also working through our initial reactions or experiences in order to expand ourselves in our relationships

This word ‘genuine’ emerged as a solution to live when seeing myself in situations or moments where I was being slightly worried about the way that others would see me/perceive me and in doing so, having certain fears about what could ‘go wrong’ if I would not make or cause the ‘right impression’ upon others. That becomes a point of self compromise where one manipulates one’s expression in order to –apparently – create a better image of ourselves or a better outcome at the eyes of others. Though that usually comes with compromise because I had to realize the fears or perceived ‘missing out’ points that I was trying to avoid by trying to be seen/perceived in a particular ‘favorable light’ so to speak.

These are points that have to do with not fully trusting myself in my expression, which is cool that came up so that I could then in real time let go of any attempt to ‘hold’ a particular idea or experience within me within having ‘others’ as a starting point in my mind and instead, realize that any point of compromise I create in my expression – no matter how ‘subtle’ it might be – it would then become an unsustainable point to manage, which is what happens when we create different ‘personas’ towards different people in our lives, and one has to go ‘managing’ them and remembering ‘who we are supposed to be’ towards this or that person, and of course that’s not living.

This is how being genuine in my expression becomes the solution, where I stop the chain reactions in social relationships where we don’t ask ourselves who we are in approaching someone? What are we trying to achieve? What is our aim? Or what are our intentions or fears behind it? So that I can first clear up my hidden agendas and genuinely be able to live the word ‘genuine’ in my expression towards/with others.

In my case, I had to move in real time from believing I had to cause/create certain impression upon others, to deciding to be genuine and in a way ‘stay true to myself’ – yet this doesn’t mean being ‘righteous’ about my expression and not considering others or ‘remain exactly the same as I’ve always been’ – nope, it’s the other way around I’d say, where being genuine means walking through and working with reactions that may occur at first when meeting certain people or individuals that I may have reacted to before in my past, where I have to genuinely take a moment to see what reactions came up, what memories or experiences were triggered within me, so that I can then decide who I want to be and express myself towards such people/person.

I recently heard in this audio Return to Innocence - The Future of Awareness - Part 92

the following bit:
“It can even be one of those simple things of looking at feelings that we so briefly feel toward one-another where we think we're good people because we're nice to other people. But instead we're lashing out a fakeness toward another person, and we might not even realize that the other is doing it to us as well and we're picking up that fakeness and it's resonantly leaving a mark of untrustworthiness that is spreading out in this world into the fact that we cannot trust anything of each other. So we're lashing out and we are creating a world of distrust, and that's if you even feel what distrust feels like, it's a horrible experience. We're resonantly doing that to each other. So practice the world you want to create even in those two simple moments where if you smile, genuinely smile at someone”
And it is a cool cross-reference to the solution I saw towards this reaction or point of self-manipulation as in creating a certain façade in moments to create a particular outcome. It also becomes very uncomfortable for me to ‘put on a mask’ so to speak, therefore I already know how that feels and that’s how I get to know, oh oh I’m compromising myself and get back to the writing-board to establish who I decide to be in relation to people that I might have an initial judgment towards, so that I can first clear my own bias as in judgments, opinions, memories, prejudices that I may immediately attach to a person which are usually there as a result of unresolved judgments and issues towards a particular ‘type of person’ that I haven’t worked through within myself.

I had a situation where I faced this point and what I had to do is first sort myself out so that I could understand my own reaction and experience through writing, seeing directly what was I reacting to, what were the points of fears, comparisons, judgments, prejudices so that I could take responsibility for all of that and so for my experience. So in the next moment of interaction with that person, I knew what I exactly had to work through and stop recreating all of the things that were previously preventing me to actually interact with the other person from a clear starting point.

So to me, the word genuine came up as the solution here, so that I can embrace and trust myself in being me, without pretense and without hidden agendas, which include working through any backchat/negative reactions I may create upon simply looking at and hearing another person for the first time, which is quite a common experience we all have as human beings and that I’ve faced many times where, upon looking at the judgments, ideas, initial perceptions I had about a person, I decide to deliberately get to know them more, talk to them and slowly but surely build more of a relationship with the person and yep, it turns out all of my ‘first impressions’ were ‘all in my head’ of course! as in being merely associations from my past that I was imposing onto this new person. Though if I hadn’t done that self-work to really look at why I was reacting to the person, I would have missed out the opportunity to get to know them and genuinely ‘see’ the person for who they are, rather than how I was interpreting, assuming or perceiving them to be.

With this, the tricky aspect to watch out for comes when we define our ‘being genuine’ as being ‘who we are and how we are and that’s it’ without really pushing to expand and open up to - for example - get to know different kinds of people that one would probably not directly go out and seek to start a conversation with. These are actually the most supportive moments and situations to face, because we are by design ‘programmed’ to only relate to certain kinds of people that are somewhat ‘similar’ to us, and those people that we define through personalities/ways of being as ‘too different’ or ‘the opposite’ of ourselves are usually people we would not directly approach to ‘strike a conversation with’ or establish any form of contact with them, however that’s a cool question to ask as well, why would I regularly say ‘no’ to getting to know certain kinds of people?

It can only do with my judgments, prejudices, perceptions and bias that I cultivated throughout many years in my life, mostly out of comparison within a sense of superiority or inferiority, leading myself to simply avoid certain ‘kinds of people’ so that I would not have to deal with these experiences of comparison, judgment and inferiority.

That’s how ‘being genuine’ also becomes a decision, it’s not simply showing ‘my true colors’ so to speak, because if that ‘me’ is still existing as a particular ‘type of person’ or personality that is disliking other ‘kinds of people’ or having certain ideas, beliefs, perceptions or opinions that stand in judgment or in conflict with others, then, that’s more like being righteous in one’s stance, which would not allow any openness towards actually getting to know another, and I have definitely been there, done that for most of my life, which is why I find this word so relevant for me.

So being genuine becomes a decision that I make in getting to know another with a clear mind so to speak, with a clear starting point, not loading my prejudices, ideas, perceptions and associations in the moment of interaction with another person and genuinely Create an interest in getting to know them, create the space to get to know them.

I emphasize the word ‘create’ there because that space or openness usually doesn’t exist when we are still walking in real time through reactions and the barriers of ‘getting along’ with people we initially ‘right off the bat’ judge – whereas deciding to create this space, deciding to interact with another and deciding to be genuine in that moment becomes a moment of expansion and acknowledgment, as well as making that decision of how we decide to express and interact, regardless of the other person’s expression or experience within themselves, which assists in not making our interactions all about ‘how we perceive others,’ but rather how I decide to genuinely express myself.

This doesn’t mean that one has to become entirely open and embracing to the other person, lol, not about extremes, but simply ensuring that one is ‘giving ourselves a chance’ to get to know the person, which is a phrase I got from Sunette in the latest public chat, where she mentioned how we can give certain actor ‘a chance’ to interpret Bruce Lee in a movie, instead of jumping into conclusions of how he is not like the real Bruce and disregarding his acting and expression altogether.

That’s exactly how it is when deciding to be genuine - and not only to not compromise oneself as in wanting to portray ourselves in a particular ‘light’ towards others - but also being genuine in our approach to others, deciding to walk through any resistances to do so with ‘certain kinds of people’ to then realize, they are just ‘people,’ and the ‘kind’ or ‘type’ of person I thought them to be is all in my mind, my prejudice, so I take responsibility for that and proceed to be ‘empty’ within me while deciding to interact with another, and that means stopping comparing, judging, perceiving or assuming – and simply take in the words as they come, in the moment and also deciding to be genuine in my interaction in terms of how I decide to express, to be ok to maybe not show an ‘equal expression’ of say, excitement that I perceive the other person is portraying as their expression, because that can just be their way of expressing themselves, and that means me being genuine about whatever expression comes up – or doesn’t come up - during such moments.

This application of being genuine, authentic in a redefined manner as in expanding myself or making space for the new and the previously ‘unrelated’ situations in my life is what I want to continue building and creating, which comes with the trust that whatever else I may face or whatever else I may initially react to, I know that I can work through those reactions first within myself, understand my own bias, work on it to clear it up and then make that decision to be genuine and learn to interact and get to know people with this clear-head and starting point.

I recommend the above mentioned audio on Eqafe.com because this is just one point that stood out for me based on what I had been looking at when it comes to what it means to ‘expand’ myself as one of the goals that I see as part of living and this process of ‘birthing life from the physical’ which is to be genuine and creating such genuineness whenever it doesn’t exist yet within us towards others in order to learn to see, embrace, understand and acknowledge others as extensions of ourselves.

Thanks for reading.

Marlen

Postby Marlen » 17 Nov 2017, 02:11

609. Courage in Self-Expression

I want to share about the ways in which I’ve been opening up to a new understanding of what ‘living’ is about and letting go of a stifling rigidity that I’ve kept within an idea of what I like, enjoy, the kind of person I, what I dislike, what I’m supposed to be and do and I’ve been seeing how limiting all of that has been when confronted with new people, new ways of living, behaving, talking, expressing in day to day living – and of course also related to arts and music.

Well, it’s no mystery that a lot of my life is influenced by fellow creative people, especially when they are the kind that represent a joyful expression which to me contains a pinch of innocence, they seem to be ‘boundless’ and without a care so to speak in terms of how other people might see them, perceive them – in essence being carefree in their expression, not holding themselves back with ‘second thoughts’ or ‘what others will think of them,’ and to me that’s quite a precious quality in ourselves as human beings.

I recently learned from an interesting explanation about The Jonah Complex and the Fear of Greatness how we fear being different, we fear truly expressing ourselves, we want to conform and ‘blend in’ because we fear ‘standing alone’ in our own ways of being, essentially daring to be unique and so start fearing ‘to exist’ which means to emerge, appear, stand out and this eventually creating a ‘fear of life’ or fear of living, where we don’t want to be our own creators, we don’t want to achieve our greatness - which I read more as in creating our living potential - because that would mean changing, that would mean standing outside of our comfort zone, that means doing the actual work it means to create our individuality and own our creation. Yep, that’s the paradoxical nature of ourselves as human beings in our own minds and can definitely prove that.

I really enjoyed listening that explanation because throughout my life I’ve struggled in that polarity of realizing how much I could ‘stand out’ – which I’ve shared in a previous blog – yet because of caring too much about everyone’s feedback, I decided to step back, ‘cease to exist’ and seek for more ways to hide out, blend in, stand in the back/to not stand out, to remain limited and inevitably becoming and embodying that fear of truly standing out and being ‘me’ in whichever way I genuinely wanted and could be.

I went through a phase of first rebelling against anything that I didn’t want to achieve based on what everyone else was doing, which still led me to a form of limitation and still defining myself based on ‘not doing what everyone else is doing’ – which is the whole antagonistic personality I’ve shared a lot about in this blog before. But, I hadn’t really stepped outside of the paradigm to genuinely ask myself: what do I want to live? What do I genuinely enjoy? What do I want to create regardless of the ‘kind of person’ I think I am supposed to be? Or the kind of topics of interest that I thought ‘I was supposed to ONLY be interested on’? And I noticed how I was slowly but surely caging myself into an idea of who I had to be, look like, dress like, care about, act like etc. even though I could see all those moments that would come up within me wanting to do something different, wanting to test out certain expressions that I would see in others and would only ‘judge them’ for daring to express something that I wanted to express deep inside myself.

One of these aspects in the sheer ability to enjoy life. I know, sounds as if I’m veering into a ‘self conceited’ topic, but I will step outside of my own projections and say nope, this is actually the one point that I had refrained myself to do in an almost religious manner – and hell, I am still getting out of my cocoon on this one! – which has nothing to do with going into extremes of ‘libertinage’ when it comes to associating enjoyment with ‘parting’ or all kinds of excesses that we usually associate ‘enjoyment’ to be about.

Nope, actually this enjoyment is more of a decision in the most simple of moments, it’s not something that will suddenly ‘take over myself’ either or come up as an energy that I have to build up into ‘enjoyment!’ – no, this that I’m talking about it is more like an opening, a decision to express, to ‘step outside of myself,’ in essence to decide to exist in moments where I knew I wanted to express myself in such ‘carefree’ ways - yet would allow my ‘idea of self’ to dictate the way I was supposed to behave and look like at the eyes of others and the rest of it. But in fact, I am discovering that I am the most content, happy and joyful with and within myself when I have zero thoughts about how someone/others might be ‘perceiving me’ and in that I’ve found the most enjoyable quietness where I can simply ‘be’. And no, this doesn’t mean sitting in a quiet place and meditating, nope and it doesn’t also come as quick and simple as just ‘letting go’ – it is also the result of all of these years of working with myself, understanding my judgments, patterns and limitations, so that I can now be more comfortable in living the words that I want to ‘be’ and make exist as myself.

A clear example of this is how I started to listen to a type of music that I never thought I would get to be quite fond of. I would randomly hear a live band in my home town and they play very upbeat and generally joyful/happy music called Klezmer. I started listening to them every now and then around town 2 years ago, and I remember standing there with my then partner and having the impulse to move my feet, my knees, to kind of dance to the beats of that music – yet, the ‘rigidity’ of my own personality would come out in ways of ‘oh no, that would not be ‘me’ liking this kind of happy, joyful music’ – yet slowly but surely, I kept creating an interest in listening to them playing it and would stand still while listening to it, yet inside myself started kind of dancing to the tunes and enjoying those moments.

Well, long story short, after many times of listening to them in my frequent trips walking downtown, it is only now that I’ve been able to move my feet and legs and head around when listening to them, and yep knowing that people are watching and sometimes ask me if I’m ‘with the band’ lol, but nope and no, I don’t put on a show either, haha! But it’s been mostly children thus far that I’ve seen moving their bodies to the sound of the music, because that’s mostly what that music is for! Yet most adults – including myself in the past – would focus on enjoying the music and maybe craving to move around or bob our heads yet we kept bound to ideas of ‘how we are supposed to be’ or ‘not knowing how to dance that kind of music’ or ‘what will others say if we start moving around? I actually enjoy standing there while the band is playing and looking at people’s facial reactions, some do move around a bit while they pass by and so I’ve made it a point to learn from those few and in between that have dared to dance along or move around, including the guys in the band which is something I also appreciate from creative people in general, being quite ‘gutsy’ – for a lack of a better word – to own their individuality, show their courage in their expression and share it in a carefree manner – and by ‘carefree’ I mean without judgment towards themselves and therefore without projected judgments coming from others.

No matter how much one walks through ‘judging oneself,’ I find that one has to find an actual way to work through it in a practical and physical manner. To me, making paintings is one, learning to own my creation no matter how it looks, no matter if I ‘like it’ or not, but see them all as part of a process to express myself, to actually live my potential and I’ve met some people in the past weeks that represent that genuine expression of enjoyment in who they are through their creative process. And in this I don’t mean that everyone has to look at artists as a source of inspiration, to me that’s just how it has usually been throughout my life. It can be any other person that in their field of expertise or interest are really good at doing something and seeing how much they enjoy doing so is a source of inspiration, because they represent that potential that we can develop for ourselves in our own ways and lives.

Many times I’ve wallowed within myself when comparing ‘me’ and ‘my creations’ to those of others, and it seems that generally this obnoxious sense of comparison is a constant judgment that I bring up to sabotage myself – therefore what do I know? I can only remind myself about the uniqueness and individuality that each individual represents, to stop seeing others as a point of measurement for my own life or creations, and always remember that there is no point in comparing or judging how I express, what I express and the ways in which I go developing such expressions, because that’s a unique process to me and myself only. And in that, I can nurture myself from the many examples that I’ve found in people’s expressions, doesn’t matter how ‘simple’ it might be, it can start with having the ‘guts’ to sing out in public or play music in the streets – anything that I would consider as something that I would probably enjoy doing yet would not ‘dare’ to do it, I can then learn to see what words these people represent that I am not living myself. And what comes up is having that courage to express myself.

Yesterday as I was listening to this band playing live, they had no fears to change places in instruments and play in front of everyone their own practice of learning a new instrument, and even if the songs didn’t come out ‘perfectly’, I definitely appreciated the fact that they had no qualms about it or keeping their ‘practice/learning process secret’ but simply did it out there in public. And also being genuine when it comes to not lying about ‘enjoying every single moment of playing,’ but being quite honest on how tiring it can be, yet at the same time being inspired by the expressions that this music brings out in people - and kids specially – which is quite awesome to witness.

So, this kind of music and the way these guys have come to create their band is quite unique in the sense that many of them might have been professional musicians, but some others didn’t know how to play any instrument, yet they had the will and courage to learn and be part of the band, so they learned an instrument in order to be part of it. It has made me consider how many times we admire people like musicians or any other form of performers because they have gotten to do something that we have yearned to do, which is to express, create and stand out with it in the world, to dare to exist beyond one’s own 4 closed walls.

Where am I in this process of having the courage to express myself? Definitely in the beginning stages, even more so considering how much I had to shed this idea that I could not enjoy life or had to suffer or could not just ‘be happy’ because ‘the world is not a happy place,’ yet I see for myself how people daring to do this in their lives becomes a source of inspiration for everyone else to dare to do what each one of us actually wants to do, and actually do it! Have the courage to do it, dare to ‘stand out’, daring to be unique, daring to not follow the crowd – not from an antagonistic or rebellious way but based on understanding our capacity to live in a very unique way that in turn, may inspire others to do the same in their lives, and that’s who I want to be and what I want to be, to give that back to the world based on all that I’ve learned from many, many people that have inspired me in my life and that have assisted me – without them even knowing – in becoming who I am today.

So, part of what I’ve been looking at in terms of embracing myself, my looks, my physical feature as the totality of ‘me’ – which I have judged as ‘odd’ – I can embrace within that uniqueness that I decide to live as myself, and reminding myself every time that I start going into judgments about myself and projecting it towards others, I have to remind myself how present I can be when I am judgment-less, when moving my limbs a bit when listening to this music out in the public in downtown and each time that I dare to do it more often, it feels more liberating and I become the most quiet and joyful and not in an ‘overt’ manner, but in that genuine ‘hereness’ of expression, because I’m simply there with the music, moving with it and there’s no thoughts, no fears, no expectations… and it’s hard at times to have those moments in one’s day, but I found that this is one of my moments of enjoyment, to have that ‘me’ time if you will yet sharing it with others at the same time.

And! No pressure if there’s no ‘live band’ I can dance to, I’ve been also playing some music that invariably leads me to want to dance as well, which is another interesting thing based on how I had thought that ‘I don’t like dancing anymore’ but I just hadn’t found the kind of music that I genuinely and almost naturally want to move my body to, which has been a cool discovery for myself as well and letting go of ideas that I had to like a particular ‘kind of music’ to ‘dance to.’ Hell no, we are the only ones that create our limitations. So I am definitely in that phase of challenging my own expression-limitations, breaking them apart and in that discovering the little bits of self-enjoyment I had held myself back from for such a looong time.

So for anyone out there, I can only suggest to have a look at where or in what/who do you find inspiration to self-express, what it means to embrace your creative self and I am not implying this is only an ‘art creation’ thing, nope – every human being is a creator, so in that we all are creating every single moment – most of the times without awareness! – therefore, if we become self-aware creators and in that determine the ways that we want to live every moment, the ways that we want to challenge our boundaries, our personalities, our fears, we will slowly but surely go realizing the potential that has always ‘been here’ as ourselves, just covered up with our fears, memories, excuses, reasons, justifications and preferences that have limited ourselves from getting to know ourselves and enjoy ourselves in the process.

Ok that’s it! Have fun

Marlen

Postby Marlen » 22 Nov 2017, 21:11

610. The Mirror Process: Changing How I Look at Myself and Others

(For all links in this text, please visit the original post by clicking the title above)

I watched a couple of videos from SOUL about the mirror process which is based on how we tend to judge, compare ourselves to other people based on certain appearances and expression that we judge as being better than our own or us lacking what we see in others, and I could relate a lot to what Sunette explained based on her own experience related to this.

What I recently found is that even if I thought I had worked through this kind of physical appearance self judgment, I definitely faced new aspects of it based on how I related in an instant to a certain woman that I got to meet and how intense this reaction was which certainly too me aback, shifting the way that I experienced myself in one single moment from being the regular comfortable self to suddenly feeling super heavy, stifled and generally tense where I could feel that any smile that I was able to muster in that moment was mostly coming out of the politics of meeting someone for the first time, but I knew that I wasn’t myself in that moment, I knew that I was in fact experiencing a mini-possession that was entirely based on how I defined someone’s appearance to be ‘everything that I am not’ as the ‘opposite’ of myself and regarding that appearance and expression as the epitome of being a graceful, beautiful and feminine woman.

Now, this is about experiencing jealousy and envy based on thinking and perceiving in my head that ‘this is what a female should look like’ and in that by default going back to assuming, thinking and perceiving that I’m not that, I’m not good looking enough, that I don’t have such fine-toned and perfectly shaped body – which I’ve defined as a tiny/small body structure and slim body – and how I immediately got a bit impressed by how this person would have a smile on their face and almost radiating such graceful expression that I judged as overwhelming or ‘too much for my taste,’ which mostly has to do with being intimidated by such ability that some people have to appear almost radiant to my eyes and my perception, almost like beaming with joy or happiness or simple grace that turns it all into an elusive expression for me.

This is also because of how I had previously judged that kind of people in my past and had not entirely resolved my judgments, which led me to see those expressions as fake or not genuine, etc. But! I later on found how these were my ‘defense mechanisms’ to make another ‘less than me’ and project and define all these negative associations to immediately ‘protect’ me from looking back at myself as the origin of every single one of these definitions, assumptions and judgments that I had concocted in a matter of minutes that such interaction lasted, and that was enough for me to have to take care of this whole stifling reaction within me based on appearances, judgments, ideals, projections that led me to feel insecure, less than, seeing myself as totally incapable of ‘ever being someone like that’ which I’ll be sharing how I’ve been walking through this in order to ground each aspect back to reality.

So what I had to do was to first understand and remind myself that every single judgment, idea, perception and experience was a creation of my own, and that I had to realize that whenever I am going into this insta-comparison towards other women based on appearances it means that there are points where I have yet to work on embracing my own physical body as is, my own bone structure, physical form, shape, weight and general appearance as is, because there is no way we can ever change how those essential aspects of our body look like, and no matter how much we would ‘like’ to look in a particular way, it’s physically impossible to do so – and instead the question would be what am I imagining, perceiving or thinking that I would ‘feel’ or ‘express’ differently if I had certain shape or form in my physical body, with a particular skin type or color of eyes or hair and overall looks? And why would I create such scenario within me to create a conflict within me as a hypothetical situation that is not realistic at all?

If I answer that then I would feel more comfortable, graceful and joyful in my expression, then I can already see where am I not living those words as myself because of believing that ‘It doesn’t suit my physical body’ or ‘I am not beautiful enough to express myself like that’ or ‘I am not fit enough to wear such clothes’ and so forth.

Here it’s also convenient to say how I’ve learned a lot from other people walking similar processes in their own lives and bodies and how I’ve taken note of many aspects they’ve shared in relation to appreciating their body, there’s Matti who has shared and walked this point as well as Anna Brix, she has been very open in walking her process to embrace her physical body and I suggest checking them out to see how they walked their points.

I realized that I also have to learn to appreciate seeing certain types of people and acknowledge when they are in fact appearing as beautiful to me or others. This applies to both males and females and see it for what they are, when people have a particular physiognomy that one can regard as beautiful and see it for what it is, a pleasing aesthetic experience. Though in this, also not to reduce the entirety of a person to an aesthetic experience, this doesn’t mean that I have to ‘be that’ or ‘look like that’ in order to be ‘pleasing’ to my eyes or others’ eyes. This is about changing who I am behind how I decide to look at myself and others.

That’s where the point of change comes in as well where I am the one that has to change how I relate to people at first sight, from remaining at a very superficial level of seeing shapes and colors and forms and defining them as beautiful or not – or whether I acknowledge that as the ‘first impression’ that it is and move towards getting to know the person and see who they are as an individual, rather than going away with that first judgment of ‘oh they are beautiful, they are so graceful and joyful, I am not any of that’ and immediately going into an inferiority and self-diminishing position that I created in my own mind and so making it a limiting experience for myself, because it prevents me from actually getting to know the person.

So I had to take a moment to write this situation out and write all the self-forgiveness related to every single judgment, belief, fear, desire, perception that I created that led me to have such an overwhelming reaction to seeing this person for the first time and also ‘caging’ the person in a particular ‘type of person’ that I would not regularly decide to approach or relate to in my life based on the sense of inferiority I would create myself when in the presence of someone that looks and behaves in a similar way, which I turned into negative judgments as a way to see myself ‘above’ that – that’s another mind-construct there that I had to understand in order to see how I perpetuate this inferiority and superiority based on my own judgments and perceptions, and forgive myself for that.

I’ve realized within this all how I am the one that is perpetuating this kind of appearance-judgments in my own mind and how I activate them in an almost instant manner where I am constantly assessing ‘where I stand’ in comparison to other females in my environment, especially related as well to females and fear of loss when it comes to relationships at the same time, where I then fear that my partner would ‘prefer a certain kind/type of body’ and that I am ‘not that for them’ and in doing so, create a plethora of ideas, beliefs, imaginations that I create solely on assuming that ‘I am not perfect enough in my physical body, I am not that pretty, I am not that feminine, I am not that graceful’ based on a comparison made towards another female that I judged to be embodying that in their expression, and assuming that ‘that is more desirable for a man’.

So, how I proceeded to assist me to walk this point is writing all of these judgments out and self forgive them one by one, so that I could see and understand I was the only one that decided to make myself inferior and so uncomfortable in the presence of another human being. I knew that I would not be ‘okay’ within myself until I could walk through this point and actually face the person at least a second time to test out my living corrections, which I got to do and actually get to interact with them for more than 5 minutes – lol – and focus on easing myself in my body, being comfortable and embracing who I am in my body and in my expression in the moment – that means stopping any judgments in my mind.

What did that practically entail? I had to decide to get the idea of me having to ‘be like her’ out of my mind. I had to remind myself of my individual expression which comes in the shape, form and type of body that I have, the face that I have, the weight that I have, the bone structure that I have, the color of eyes, hair and type of skin that I have and that in no way could I keep tormenting myself with aspiring to ‘look like’ another person in any way. It would be like a certain kind/type of tree wanting to become another kind of tree, namely a pine wanting to be like a palm – that is the basic analogy I can remind myself of whenever I am going into this body/appearance comparison, which means I have to embrace me being this particular type and kind of body that I have which I have been aware I can embrace and enjoy as myself and how I can be particularly fine within me and my expression whenever I am not desiring to be someone completely different in order to fulfill an idea or belief of ‘what I would prefer to look like,’ which is again, based on my own limitations of what I’ve defined as beautiful or aesthetically pleasing.

So the real change takes place when I stop focusing on judging myself, my looks, my demeanor ‘when compared to’ other females that I’ve particularly defined as more gentle, feminine and graceful. This also means that I had to instead look at how am I living those words in my own way already or where I can expand my expression and embrace ways of expressing that I’ve suppressed because of thinking that it looks ‘fake’ or not genuine’ – not realizing that I am the only one that knows ‘who I am’ behind any smile, any expression through voice tonality, gestures and words. That’s my self-honesty point and within this, I saw that I am expressing such femininity in my own particular way already and how I simply have to let go of expressing a particular ‘form’ or ‘idea’ of femininity linked to a particular physical appearance that I have defined as ‘more feminine’ that my own, which means: I can embody femininity in my own particular way.

Same with joy, I am aware how I can express joy in a boundless manner yet in a different way than if compared to that particular person in such moment, which means that, of course! I’d always be setting up myself for ‘failure’ whenever I start comparing myself to anyone else for that matter based on how I am living certain words and how they are living certain words or aspects within themselves. This is an interesting trick we create in our minds where we are always setting up ourselves to feel ‘less than’ when trying to ‘have exactly the same’ that others have, instead of simply focusing on what we are/have and seeing what we can develop within ourselves, within our own particular body and expression, because that’s ultimately what individuality is all about, not attempting to ‘be just like someone else’ in form, shape and expression, but learn to see others as sources of words and expressions that we can mirror back to ourselves to see what can I learn from them? How can I express such words in my own body and living experience?

An example is how based on how I had judged similar ‘kinds of people’ in the past, I got to experience my own backlash in that moment based on how I had defined me as not being able to be ‘genuinely’ expressing myself in a joyous and graceful manner without ‘faking’ it a bit – but I’ve realized that it all has to do with how I decide to stand in relation to particular words and expressions and how I had for the most part judged such expressions as ‘fake’ based on my own perceived inability to express them myself. But, once that I got to see how I can in fact enjoy and express myself and how I can relate to people, I can see that I am already being quite comfortable and joyful in my expression, it simply won’t be expressed ‘the same way’ as I can see it in other people, and that’s OK lol.

It’s astounding how much we can keep ourselves stuck in our heads trying to be like/look like ‘somebody else’ which is a pointless thing to do or even attempt; although yes some do go to that point with all current surgeries and stuff like that and I’m not judging it, because now I understand how far we can take ourselves to do something like that to ‘look the same’ as someone else and how it is all driven by an idea, belief or perception of how we think we will FEEL about ourselves IF having this/that physical appearance, while in fact it all exists within ourselves.

We each have the power to decide how we feel, experience and express ourselves within our one and only physical body that I definitely have to, for once and for all, stop seeing as an image presentation that can be ‘compared’ to others, and start acknowledging it as the marvel of life it in fact is, where the skin and structure of the body is only a part of it, yet there’s so much more to this that we are that enables us to live and not only in a ‘basic vital’ manner, it enables us to have the ability to embody/live and express words, actions, decisions, intentions and creations.

That’s how I want to establish my relationship with my physical body, not to cage it or define it in a particular form, shape, color, weight, bone structure or skin type, but seeing it as the actual breathing body of life that I am embodying in order to give myself the opportunity to actually live in it/as it, which means, stopping for once and for all perpetuating the judgments, the comparisons, the envy and jealousy towards other bodies and their appearance and instead focus on seeing me as the life that I can express and live every single moment of every day.

This sounds easy as a solution, but the actual challenging part is to physically change my experience, my expression in those moments where comparison and envy are rearing their head within me and remind myself every single time of the decision to focus on myself as a person that lives and expresses, to expand from the limited immediate definitions and judgments based on what I immediately see through my eyes and go one step further to generate interest and consideration to see what other people are all about, getting to know them, talk to them without being comparing myself to them every single moment. This is the challenging part, but in the situation that I’ve shared here I realized that ‘the next day’ after I had processed a lot of these points through writing, I was able to change my behavior towards that person and be more at ease. This resonant or personality of ‘inferiority’ experience wasn’t completely diffused/gone in that moment, but it definitely was quite a change from feeling heavy, stuck, stifled towards the other person to a more flowy and expressive self which is more like ‘me’ on a regular basis.

What I’ve found in terms of these points that I’ve faced with both males and females is that we tend to essentially make everything that we see as a potential expression within ourselves a source of desire, which is why towards males it led me to ‘desire them’ as in experiencing attraction – which is something I’ve walked in detail at the beginning of this year as well – or towards females in the form of jealousy, envy and comparison, which is more related to wanting to ‘be like them/look like them’ so that ultimately I could be liked/desired/wanted by males the same way I assume/perceive that other males would find them attractive. But, who is in fact defining all of this? I am! Therefore that means that I can change who I am in relation to seeing males and females and comparing myself to other beings in the form of ‘lack’ or ‘desire’ and instead move into seeing: What can I learn from them? How can I expand my own expression and life by integrating a word/living action that I see they are living in their own lives?

So, just as I did with males and instead of seeing them as ‘objects of desire’ because of particular words and expressions they portray, I can do the same with women where instead of immediately seeing myself as either ‘more’ or ‘less than’ someone based on judgments, ideas or perceptions – no matter how subtle or overwhelming – I can always take the point back to myself, work through my emotional reactions towards it, understand them as my creation and originating from me – not anything or anyone else, not society, not stereotypes but my own mind and judgments – and within that rather learning to see, embrace and appreciate someone else for the totality of who they are.

There are times where people tend to say that we have to only focus on what’s ‘in the inside’ and nevermind the outside, but I consider that’s also diminishing or relegating the physical body to a ‘lesser’ stance. It makes one push aside the image factor and make it ‘less than’ the actions, words and expressions that a person represents, instead of seeing a person as the totality of who they are as a body, mind, expression as a whole, no need to make one aspect more than the other. It really all boils down to how I relate to myself and my physical body, whether I am still living in judgment towards myself or whether I am more focusing on living me, living in the flesh/body that I am and using it – for a lack of a better word – to live and express the person that I am in the process of creating as myself.

By doing so, I learn to see people as an expression of their individual and particular body, mind and being and see them as sources of inspiration – when it applies – to see what expressions I am admiring, liking or enjoying in them that I can see I can integrate or incorporate into my own life and day to day experience. That makes me see people as equals, as living bodies that I can always learn from in one way or another, that I can get to know and understand rather than keeping myself at a very limited experience of judging certain appearances and expressions, go into an emotional experience of ‘lacking that’ or ‘desiring that’ and separating myself from that person… yep, that’s not the way to go here.

I also acknowledge that as much as I got taken over by this experience, I also I had the diligence to work on it as soon as I was able to, because I could not be ok within myself and my physical experience based on that reaction, so that’s also based on how I am living that honor and regard towards myself as a living being that understands how stiffing, uncomfortable and generally destructive it is to remain in that kind of reaction and separation towards another human being. And it was sincerely a relief to test my own decision to see them as a person – rather than a source of qualities ‘I don’t possess’ – and relate to the person in a very different manner.

Of course there’s much more to learn and change myself when it comes to seeing these ‘resonant symbols’ as women particularly that I have tended to compare myself to for most of my life, and in that remind myself of the basic steps I’ve shared in this blog related to recognizing, appreciating and embracing individual’s expressions in the totality of who they are, getting to know them – if the opportunity arises – and rather using those moments whenever I am seeing I am about to get possessed by the comparison-judgment reaction into a reminder of embracing me, which implies understanding that equality also means embracing each one’s particular and unique bodies, expressions and living experiences as they are, starting with my own.

Thanks for reading and check these SOUL videos out to understand more about the mirror process for yourself:

The Mirror Process
The Mirror Practice – Part 2

Return to “Members' Blog Links”