Giving - is it taught as strategy for reputation?

Rebecca Dalmas

Re: Giving - is it taught as strategy for reputation?

Post by Rebecca Dalmas »

Yes, children model and imitate behaviors existent within their environment.

Girls tend to be, in general, more verbal than boys. This tendency of girls ends when puberty sets in, and then the boys, at puberty, tend to begin to focus more on language.

So, already. from day one, are the children not picking up the relationship playouts within gender as they are exposed to their parents behaviors?

I remember my sons playing with girls in pre-school, but by the time they entered Kindergarten, the move towards same gender playmates was set.

Interesting that the "concrete" stage of learning, is at seven, when children enter grade school; when they are already "set" ( in concrete) within accumulating enough modeled and imitated behaviors to allow them to function within the system.
Carrie

Post by Carrie »

Here's a blog about the Competition/Inequality point that came up for me within this discussion. Thanks for this discussion.

Is It Me or is My Child Naturally Competetive?
http://honestparent.wordpress.com/2013/ ... mpetetive/
Anna

Post by Anna »

Carrie wrote:Here's a blog about the Competition/Inequality point that came up for me within this discussion. Thanks for this discussion.

Is It Me or is My Child Naturally Competetive?
http://honestparent.wordpress.com/2013/ ... mpetetive/
Cool!
Denise

Post by Denise »

This is cool! Thanks for posting and offering information here for parenting assistance.
maya rote

Post by maya rote »

Cool thread here, thanks

We also must consider that any interpretation of any research may not be what is actually going on, there is always the actual physical results and then the interpretation, where the interpretation in most cases gives us a view into the scientist’s mind, and the main physiological accepted points of view that are being researched at the same time period, rather than what is actually happening – I mean, it’s clear that they are trying to figure out the human psyche for years, and each time they find a new twist or theory or idea – are they getting any closer? – I don’t know…

Anyway, here they are looking at it from a perspective of social reputation, as social manipulation, because that is what they have concluded with the adults, but we can consider other options to explain the children’s behavior as well, and with each option of interpretation we chose to believe/ accept, we have different outflow of following researches and other possibilities if application of the new knowledge found.

An alternative interpretation may be that children are not abstract thinker at the age of 5, they don’t conceive of things as adults do, and so when the receiver is not in the room and the child is told to give some of their stickers to an idea of a person which they can hardly grasp, as oppose to an actual person, it places the child in a different position – giving to a real kid that the child can relate to and can assume they will enjoy receiving more stickers, or giving to an idea of a kid, that doesn’t exist as far as the child is concerned, so it make sense to give them as little as possible.

I would take this to show the point as kelly mentioned, “out of sight out of mind” syndrome, that what we don’t see we don’t care about, that’s why we don’t care about what is going on in the world, we know poverty and suffering is there as an abstract idea, so we don’t share our food and wealth, because it’s easier not share with an abstract idea, rather than with a person that is right here in my face.

Another point to consider is – so what can we do with this information? It implies that privacy gives us more leeway to harm and abuse, and when we are being watched and are seen we are more likely to “behave”, which is what Bernard has been saying about how abusive privacy actually is, rather than a basic right it is more like the right to abuse in privacy.
Garbrielle

Post by Garbrielle »

Very cool point MayaR, thanks for that perspective.
Manuela J

Post by Manuela J »

Yes Maya, I see the privacy point as a rather crucial one, and it is rarely considered from the perspective of children, mostly it's seen as relevant to protect the child - but essentially we teach 'imprisonment' to children.
We don't realise that when we teach privacy and manners that we also teach children to 'act' in two different worlds - one social and one private - which is ultimately the separation we experience when we can no longer relate to our fellow humans, and thus cannot see the effects of poverty or starvation. Thus, it is through the idea of privacy we create a prison for ourselves with the 'invisible bars' that go both ways: from within ourselves we are no longer 'allowed' to share ourselves through words and the physical body - which is probably why so much pedophilia does not get exposed right away because children are taught to keep 'certain' experiences to themselves. From without ourselves, the mental bars we establish prevent us from seeing the physical likeness and kinship in each other as we are mostly get disturbed by others physical existence (unless they are celebrities and picture perfect physically) therefore keeping us trapped in the world so that we don't come together to change it.
Anna

Post by Anna »

Here's a video I did in context to the point of appraisal and rewards:

Positive Reinforcement in Education
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r6qQDsWx ... u.be#&rr=0
Garbrielle

Post by Garbrielle »

Anna wrote:Here's a video I did in context to the point of appraisal and rewards:

Positive Reinforcement in Education
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r6qQDsWx ... u.be#&rr=0
Awesome Anna!

Return to “Questions about Parenting”