The role of gestures in parenting

Manuela J

The role of gestures in parenting

Post by Manuela J »

This study caught my eye.... I remember from my childhood how the gestures of my parents affected me more than their words. A raised index finger in anger was much more threatening than the statement "I am angry because you did this and that".

This brings up the point of the role of the physical and how important it is for parents to become aware, not only of their words but also of their gestures. We might believe that as long as "I don't say this or that" then all is well in child rearing, not realising that our gestures might say something completely different than our words. Parents need to be aware of the physical movements in how they affect their children.

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/20 ... 091054.htm

Synopsis:

Psychologists from the University played children a video and then asked them to recount what they had seen. The children were then questioned about what they remembered.

After showing children a film of a woman wearing a hat, the researcher asked them "What was the lady wearing?" while performing an action similar to putting on a hat. When the questions were accompanied by gestures that mimicked the correct answer, children got the answer correct.

But when the researcher asked the same question and pretended to put on a pair of glasses, ninety-three per cent of children ignored what they'd seen in the video and insisted the woman had been wearing glasses instead.

University of Hertfordshire psychologist Dr Liz Kirk said: "We wanted to explore the differences in gesture misinformation by comparing younger and older children and how they incorporated this non-verbal information into their account of what they saw.

"All the children were highly susceptible to gesture and spoke about extra information fraudulently planted by the interviewer. But what most surprised us was the fact that the children even incorporated the adult's misleading gestures into their stories of what they'd seen on the video.

"This study demonstrates the extent to which the gestures were included into the children's accounts of what they saw.

"This has serious implications for forensic interview of child witnesses, particularly where they may have witnessed a traumatic event which they may have to confront again during questioning. Interviewers need to think very carefully not just about what they say, but how they say it."
Ella

Re: The role of gestures in parenting

Post by Ella »

Hi - not sure if this is the best section to post my question - this is the one I found the closest..

Is there any adverse impact whatsoever during a lunar and/or solar eclipse and a woman who is pregnant (i.e her baby)? For example is there any precautions (like avoid cutting stuff etc) during the timeframe of any of these eclipses to avoid any side effects on the baby?

Your reply would be much appreciated - thank you.
Maya

Post by Maya »

Ella wrote:Hi - not sure if this is the best section to post my question - this is the one I found the closest..

Is there any adverse impact whatsoever during a lunar and/or solar eclipse and a woman who is pregnant (i.e her baby)? For example is there any precautions (like avoid cutting stuff etc) during the timeframe of any of these eclipses to avoid any side effects on the baby?

These types of things may influenced the baby/mother loooooooooooong time ago but it is not how it currently work. for reference, please listen to Veno's interview - the Dawn of the New Age

Today, what may influence the baby is the Mother's words, energies, reactions - this has nothing to do with the solar eclipse but to the mother's relationship with the solar eclipse in her own mind for example if the mother hold onto a fear that is based on a belief that the eclipse would influence/harm the baby.
for more information, please listen to the Parenting interview series.
Ella

Post by Ella »

Maya wrote:
Ella wrote:Hi - not sure if this is the best section to post my question - this is the one I found the closest..

These types of things may influenced the baby/mother loooooooooooong time ago but it is not how it currently work. for reference, please listen to Veno's interview - the Dawn of the New Age

Today, what may influence the baby is the Mother's words, energies, reactions - this has nothing to do with the solar eclipse but to the mother's relationship with the solar eclipse in her own mind for example if the mother hold onto a fear that is based on a belief that the eclipse would influence/harm the baby.
for more information, please listen to the Parenting interview series.

Thank you very much Maya - this is exactly what I was thinking as well - however was not sure. I will go through the videos you shared - again thanks!

Return to “Questions about Parenting”