Concerning my cat and my fear for my cat

Polina

Concerning my cat and my fear for my cat

Post by Polina »

Hi, I am confused about what I did and what I should have done, and I have many emotions inside of me turned on by this incident regarding my cat..
Here is what happened:
I was in my house, it was night time, I was making food at the table and then I saw something outside our backyard glass door. I thought it was my cat at first, because he goes out all the time. But then, I realized it was a racoon! And a big one too. I was shocked at first. My mouth was opened haha. Then, I felt fear because my cat was still outside: what if the racoon would do something? What if it would attack my cat? It's a wild animal, I can't trust it....
So, I then started to knock on the glass door to try to scare it away, realizing that I was scared of the racoon as welll...Even coming to the glass door was scary for me..
The racoon was just sniffing around our back porch, then he saw me, and heard me knocking, understood that I was persuasively trying to do something, and then he hid, and then looked at me from behind our barbecue stove on the porch. I said, "I'm sorry for scaring you, just leave"
But then, I saw my cat walking over closer to the racoon and looking at it curiously. That's when I had so much fear inside me, my head started hurting.
Then I opened the door a bit, and said, "shooo! Pusha( my cat) Don't touch him! leave him alone!" Somehow, my cat understood what I was saying, and stayed in his place, but there was more than one racoon. And there were some small ones too, so I'm guessing it was a family. Then, one of the racoons was coming closer to my cat, which I now think was because it wanted to assist the other racoon who was still hiding behind the barbecue stove. So, I made more noise, got more scared and eventually grabbed my cat, brought it home and closed the door. And yelled some more so the racoons would run away.

So, after this, i was shaking, my cat was a bit shocked...but ok. After some time, he wanted to go outside again, but I didn't let him. He asked for some time, then he got frustrated and angry, but in a painful kinfd of way. he started to claw the carpet which he does when he is frustrated. I don't know what to do. I don't know how to face this and assist my cat and create an environment for him without this irritation on his part, but still safe. Regarding my emotions as well, I don't know what to do or where to start forgiving, it was just so much in one moment. I am extremely overwhelmed.

If you can help, Thank you so much.
Marlen

Re: Concerning my cat and my fear for my cat

Post by Marlen »

Hi Polina

First of all breathe, woman! The basic points were simply not being lived as when we are here breathing we can actually support us to not give into fear when being faced with some encounter that we can be afraid of - I can simply relate to the experience of seeing a snake coming underneath my door and how I experienced my body freezing in one single moment as the fear was triggered by the image of it - yet I managed to breathe and not just freak out to eventually proceed to ask for help etc.

So, in this case what I can read is mostly a projection of you on your cat and your own emotions to what they experienced. I am not a cat expert but I have observed them and know how they do tend to stare at other species in a still manner which is then the point wherein we humans, because we can't interpret or know if there's potential danger to one of the animals, we tend to just freak out without realizing that when existing in fear, we can only continue being overwhelmed and projecting our own fears when already being a prey of our own emotions.

To prevent us from making decisions within such fear possessions for now I suggest that you focus on applying self forgiveness to see how everything got complicated the moment that fear took the scene and you became subject to it - which mostly leads to then remaining in fear out of the same experience happening again.

You make sure you start living here as breathing wherein you can actually stop such fear possessions no matter what and instead of acting out of an energetic rush, we can direct the required points without having to go through this emotional marathon.

So I do suggest you stop all fears being projected on to your cat and realize how if he/she has been okay before roaming inside and outside then there's no need to now become over-protective around this point. Though in terms of animal interaction I'll suggest someone else gives a more experienced perspective on the subject.

If something's not clear enough, let us know.
Anna

Post by Anna »

I have found that when I experience fear for the cats, it is (as Marlen also said) because I am projecting a point within myself onto the cats - especially fear - and thus see them through my human-mind-eyes, not considering that they're outlook is entirely different and that they're actually often much more adequate in nature than I am. This has for example been when the kittens meet adult cats and they check each other out and the adult cats chase the kittens. I realized that I don't know much about cat-to-cat communication and that I cannot simply project my own fear onto the cats and actually take from them the opportunity to explore and expand themselves.

So yes definitely; bring it back to self first - and then simply apply common sense as to whether the situation requires you to step in or now.

For example on our balcony we've placed wire-netting to prevent the kittens from falling out. Yet one piece was not fastened and as I saw one of the kittens crawling through, I got a chair and grabbed her. So in some situations, they're not aware of what is best for them yet in others they're actually more equipped than us and we can learn from observing them and expanding ourselves as well.
YoganBarrientos

Post by YoganBarrientos »

Hello Polina,
you just experienced a hell-on-earth fear. The good news is its just fear. You could have easily when outside picked up your cat and brought him in. So its important as mentioned in the other posts to breath. In a situation where you would have truly directed yourself, 1) you would not have created the situation you created for yourself, which is hell. 2) you would have kept yourself and your cat truly safe.
Its funny because you have to step outside your comfort zone which was represented symbolically by your house. And its also funny that fear is comfort. Let me ask you, is fear comfortable? So its reversed you see.
Dropping fear will help you become smart and gives a greater chance of doing what's most safe.
Be safe.
~yogan
Anna

Post by Anna »

cool perspectives on fear here Yogan. Thanks.
Polina

Post by Polina »

Thanks guys, those were some simple things you said, but they are helpful. My cat is almost always outside, but we try not to let him out at night, because if we do, he is usually very jumpy when he comes back in the morning and is stressed out. Furthermore, it's easier for other animals, cars and etc to hurt him.
Through reading all your replies and going through my experience, I really DID scare myself so so so much. And no, fear is not comfortable at alll. Fear is one of my biggest points, because I basically fear most things, or everything even. My parents, my hw, my friends, myself. I am very much busy doing self-forgiveness on all the points coming up. I watched a video on "The Design of Make Up" and through that, I did like 20 forgivenesses, even though I do not wear any make up. I was able to relate it to other stuff, like hiding behind my baggy clothes, critisizing myself about my face, my hair, my pimples and other things.
Thank You so much for all this support!!
Anna

Post by Anna »

Cool Polina.

As cats are nocturnal animals it means that they designed to hunt at night and especially the male cat if it has not has its balls cut off. Thus if your male cat comes home jumpy from a night of hunting, it is properly "natural" - meaning that is how they were programmed to function.

When I have investigated this point I have found that cats that are not let outside actually live twice to three times longer than other cats - properly a lot get killed by cars. On the other hand - we would never remain in doors all year round simply because of the risk of being hit by a car so why should they. On the other hand it also depends on the neighbor hood. So If it has not had its balls cut, this is what I would suggest. They're much more enclined to get into fights with other male cats when they had not had their balls cut. And there's a cat aids going around also which can be prevented better if they're neutered. You can also purchase a collar with reflexes so that cars will see it when their headlights reflect on the collar.

This would be my suggestions -and to make your decisions regarding the cat, not based on fear or on emotions/feelings projected towards the cat, but on practical consideration of what is best for the animal. Then no matter what you decide, you know that you're supporting him and yourself first and foremost.
KellyPosey

Post by KellyPosey »

One effective way I've found to diffuse a point of fear is to 'walk myself through it'. Now- if the fear reaction has already been instigated and is going quite intense then all you can do is to breathe and see if you can stop the reaction and calm down, as a whole bodily reaction can be set-off in just a moment depending on how 'programmed-in' the response-reaction is and that will be very distracting. But when you are not being 'taken over' by the fear reaction or if you're able to breathe and calm it down in the moment- then you will not be too distracted by the reaction and you can then 'walk yourself through' the fear.

You 'walk yourself through the fear' by simply actually 'placing yourself' in the point that is feared- not in actual physical reality but in 'imagining it' as if it were so- and through this you look and see- ok, what would happen if whatever the fear is were to happen- what would I do, etc. Because the fear reaction experience relies on a 'not knowing' of what we'd do or what might happen if.. And as long as you don't answer that question, the fear reaction is able to happen/continue. Have a look at the fear reaction- it's like a 'omg what if !!'

So in this case- you take the fear of that your cat might get hurt, for instance- and you say ok, what happens if my cat gets hurt- what would you do- you would take the cat to the vet or try to treat the wounds or whatever you'd do, etc- so you effectively take out the mystery of it and that usually deflate the entire fear point for me when I do that. As now I 'know' what I'll do in the event that whatever I feared might happen, so then I'm not worried that I don't know what I'll do or what might happen, etc.

And also the things you fear for your cat you can 'bring it back to self' as they are projections of what you fear for yourself- so you can look at what the specific fears are and see why you fear those things, walk yourself through what would happen if they happened, etc.

Really to stop this kind of a situation from happening what's required is to stop it from existing- which means to see how we have created and allowed a world where we and all creatures cannot simply coexist without having to fight and harm one another for their survival -we have to understand how did nature come to be this way and how can we stop creating this situation- this is why we need an Equal Money System as in this current system we've crowded all the wildlife into a small fraction of the earth's area and now wildlife has to venture into backyards to try to scrounge some food- this is the result of living without considering every being equally- those that we left out are driven to do whatever they can to survive and this is where most crime and violence come from- so another point to consider is forgiving any points of separation- like giving more value to the cat than racoons, etc.
Polina

Post by Polina »

wow,cool Kelly,
I actually did that with other points as in "walking through fear" and it helps for a moment and I realize there is nothing to fear, but then I think about it again and the fear comes back. It's like I'm just itching to think again. But, I will definately forgive myself on the points of "seperation" like the one you said about me giving more value to my cat than to the racoon. Actually, I don't really give more value to my cat, it's just that i'm scared that if I don't care more for my cat, I will get scolded by my parents and they will be angry and disappointed with me. Haha, thank you sooo much :D

Return to “Questions and General Discussion about Animals”