Support for our cat and me

Miranda de Haas

Support for our cat and me

Post by Miranda de Haas »

Hi everyone,

We have a pet in our house. She is a (sterilized) cat and 1,5 years old. She is able to walk in and out our house whenever she wants. She loves to be outside the house, but also is at ease in our home. There are no other animals in the house.

Within 1 month she walked away twice. Not close to the house, but far away. She has a chip and a collar with our adress in it so she can always be tracked.

I don't know what the best option is in this situation; keep her inside the house? It's not possible for me to fence our garden so she can't leave it.

My idea in the first place was to allowe our cat total freedom with knowing the change that she can hit by a car... but maybe there is another option.

How can i support my cat for the best?

Thanks,

Miranda
CerisePoolman

Re: Support for our cat and me

Post by CerisePoolman »

It is the nature of cats to want to travel - they can travel a few kilometers without us humans even noticing that they were gone. Obviously there is always a chance that an animal can get hit by a car or attacked by another animal - but we cannot control everything and cannot live according to the fear of "something happening". Cats are quite clever and can run very fast, so something happening to your cat is really not likely. I suggest to allow the cat to enjoy him/herself, just be sure to keep up with annual vaccinations. My cats roam freely - they know what areas are dangerous and they are naturally cautious.
Miranda de Haas

Thanks Cerise,

I wasn't aware of the fact that cats wants to travel far away. I thought that they have a little territory...and when they go far away, that something must be "wrong".

It's cool to know that it is okay that she explores the world around her and to give her free access to it :D

About the vaccinations; i save up money each month for vaccinations and proper healthcare for our cat.

Great support, thank you.

Miranda
Anna

Post by Anna »

Cool Miranda.

Yes there was this TV show recently 'the secret life of cats' or something where they had placed gps trackers on cats. And it reveals that many cats have a 'territory' of several kilometers, but it often depends on the sex of the cat and whether they've been sterilized. (Unneutered cats travel more). Our neutered cats don't go very far away. lol
Miranda de Haas

Hi Anna,

I have seen the BBC-docu, but missed the point that they travel far away, my cat was 7 km from home last monday. I will watch the docu again.

Thanks,

Miranda
Anna

Post by Anna »

Miranda de Haas wrote:Hi Anna,

I have seen the BBC-docu, but missed the point that they travel far away, my cat was 7 km from home last monday. I will watch the docu again.

Thanks,

Miranda
I've actually been wanting to track our cats as well for curiosity. How do you do it Miranda?
Miranda de Haas

Haha Anna,

Yes that would be so cool to know where our cats hang out. I am curious if she has a catfriend and how she catch little birds :shock: And if she enter other houses (i do think so).

What i see is that my cat is very, very friendly. She loves to make contact with people and follow them when they are passing by our house.

But if a neighborcat is coming to her territory, she isn't assertive and let that cat come in. And the cat will eat her food, she just sits there and watch the other cat eating her dinner.

Maybe we should use a little camera also to track the habits of our cats, i would be surprised if i see what she is up to, i think!

How many cats do you have Anna?

Miranda
Anna

Post by Anna »

Miranda de Haas wrote:
How many cats do you have Anna?

Miranda
We've got two cats, a male and a female, brother and sister.
Miranda de Haas

2 cats, they have eachother to keep company. Nice. I will see them on pictures on Facebook i think.

Thanks,

Miranda

Return to “Questions and General Discussion about Animals”