Breeds/Pedigree

YoganBarrientos

Breeds/Pedigree

Post by YoganBarrientos »

Hi, so over the past weeks I found out something interesting in relation to dog breeds, specifically. Mainly how dogs behaviors and personality is predictable by their breed. Obviously this is not set in stone, yet it is extremely helpful to be aware of so that you can use the knowledge to better train or treat your dog/pet. My understanding is that cats are more wild than dogs, so there might be differences between cats and dogs in how they breed/pedigree determines how they are. So when I was aware of my dogs breed, I saw that their behavior predicts my dogs exactly. If I had known this I might have treated her differently or trained her differently. Now she is an older dog. Its pretty interesting how these personalities and behaviors are predicted based on the breed. I would suggest that each one become aware of their pets breed, to see if there is any useful support available, that you might not have been aware of.
Anna

Re: Breeds/Pedigree

Post by Anna »

YoganBarrientos wrote:Hi, so over the past weeks I found out something interesting in relation to dog breeds, specifically. Mainly how dogs behaviors and personality is predictable by their breed. Obviously this is not set in stone, yet it is extremely helpful to be aware of so that you can use the knowledge to better train or treat your dog/pet. My understanding is that cats are more wild than dogs, so there might be differences between cats and dogs in how they breed/pedigree determines how they are. So when I was aware of my dogs breed, I saw that their behavior predicts my dogs exactly. If I had known this I might have treated her differently or trained her differently. Now she is an older dog. Its pretty interesting how these personalities and behaviors are predicted based on the breed. I would suggest that each one become aware of their pets breed, to see if there is any useful support available, that you might not have been aware of.
Knowing a dog's breed can for sure be supporting, especially also when it comes to preconditioned ailments like genetic hip problems. However i wouldn't go on breed entirely and then only use the information I have about my dog's breed to determine its behavior. Breeds for dogs are like preprogramming for humans and sometimes dogs step out of that or they act in unfamiliar ways that isn't characteristic for their breed, because it's obviously not all they are, just like we're not only our preprogramming.

I suggest to watch the dog whispererer with Cesar Milan Yogan if you haven't. I learned a lot from that even though there are also elements I don't agree with. I've also learned a lot from watching Tia Maria Torres in the series Pitbulls and Parolees where there's a lot of focus on breed due to pitpulls being stigmatized.
Alex27

Re: Breeds/Pedigree

Post by Alex27 »

I have dogs with different breeds, they also behave differently.
Thanks for sharing.

Return to “Questions and General Discussion about Animals”