Distancing self from certain 'negative' things?

AnthonyF

Distancing self from certain 'negative' things?

Post by AnthonyF »

Right, I just want to know if it's okay to distance oneself from certain things.
I am talking about alcohol for instance. About 3 weeks ago I decided and made a point to myself to not drink alcohol EVER again. And I plan to stick by this for the rest of my life.
Am I limiting myself in any way by doing this, or is it fine if I'm happy not drinking alcohol again?
I want to do the same for chocolate, but just want to make sure or confirm that this is okay to do.
NEVER eating/drinking something again, or is it a limitation that I am setting?
Thanks.
Jeanne

Re: Distancing self from certain 'negative' things?

Post by Jeanne »

Hi AnthonyF,

My perspective: You decide what works for you. Alcohol is not suggested for a variety of reasons, but primarily because it does not support the physical body. Why do you think you should stop eating chocolate? As far as "the rest of your life" I would suggest relaxing with breath and seeing as with the chocolate statement, why it is you feel a need to make this kind of sweeping statement instead of directing yourself to just stop eating chocolate if it disagrees with you. :)
AnthonyF

Post by AnthonyF »

Jeanne wrote:Hi AnthonyF,

My perspective: You decide what works for you. Alcohol is not suggested for a variety of reasons, but primarily because it does not support the physical body. Why do you think you should stop eating chocolate? As far as "the rest of your life" I would suggest relaxing with breath and seeing as with the chocolate statement, why it is you feel a need to make this kind of sweeping statement instead of directing yourself to just stop eating chocolate if it disagrees with you. :)
Thanks Jeanna.
Yes I understand.
You're right, I have no idea why I make such a sweeping statement lol.
To get it through my head I guess. Because I know if I do drink a glass of alcohol, I'll feel guilty and go through a thorough self-forgiveness period.
And with the chocolate, because I can't stop myself from eating a small amount. I'd eat a piece, then go crazy and eat way too much.
I don't even like chocolate really, it's just always in the house, so I'm like, "Whatever, eating this is easier than cooking or making something."
Plus, it's bad for skin. And whatever else chocolate is bad for.
But I'd rather not eat chocolate, so I'll do that (without making sweeping statements!).
Ann

Post by Ann »

If you know yourself and know that you over indulge everytime you have a piece of chocolat ,then yes it might be better to stop eating it all together. If you for example could have a piece without needing to eat more and more, then it wouldn"t be an issue.

So it is really about knowing yourself, knowing your weaknesses, and also working on it. This can be done in various ways and you can see which works best for you in your current situation.

As for alcohol, I decided to not drink it since I was 16 years old, because it makes people dumb, violent, promiscuous, ignorant etc... I saw the statistics on how much misery it causes. I didn't want to sponsor that poison by buying it. So I decided not to drink it ever again.
Lindsay

Post by Lindsay »

AnthonyF wrote:Right, I just want to know if it's okay to distance oneself from certain things.
I am talking about alcohol for instance. About 3 weeks ago I decided and made a point to myself to not drink alcohol EVER again. And I plan to stick by this for the rest of my life.
Am I limiting myself in any way by doing this, or is it fine if I'm happy not drinking alcohol again?
I want to do the same for chocolate, but just want to make sure or confirm that this is okay to do.
Thanks.
Hi Anthony -

Through the process of 'distancing oneself for things' - we must be sure to not create a point of separation and potentially suppressed inner-friction/conflict through this, but utilize this decision as an opportunity to investigate who we are within such things - through the process of writing, self-forgiveness and self-corrective application we can explore the relationship ties that we have connected to such things that weren't supportive - and it is through this that we realize that it's not even the alcohol or the chocolate in themselves, but it's SELF that's the actual problem that must be sorted out.

So, when making such decision to not do something ever again, we must be sure that we are making that decision as the self-directive principle within an understanding of ourselves, not as an attempt to distance ourselves from our point of responsibility in standing equal to all things and through this investigating all things and keeping for ourselves each point that we see stands stable within the principle of that which is best for all life.

Currently, it is clear that alcohol is not that which is best for all life - however, that is clear for me - you must, through a process of self-investigation and self-reflection, see this for yourself so that when you make a decision, YOU are making the decision. Thus, you aren't making a decision based on some rule or fear or judgment, but an actual direct seeing.

So, suggest to look at 'who you are' within making the decision to never drink alcohol again, as well as never eat chocolate again - is there resistance when you consider the NEVER point? If there is, suggest to write it out for yourself (you can place your writings here in this thread, as well), to get really clear on your decision to such an extent that you do not require to ask if it's 'okay' from others, because you see the decision that you have made is clear, as you have investigated it in self-honesty and are able to express your decision as who you are in self-awareness here.

If anything is still not clear - let us know.
Bella

Post by Bella »

thanks for sharing everyone, cool perspectives!

just to share my understanding in my own words here:
distancing oneself from certain things as a decision to no longer support certain manifestations in this world, out of understanding that such manifestations do not support life or even harm life - yes, that is an actual decision and it's different to distancing oneself from certain things out of judgment or fear, for example.
so it's then not a point of separation or judgment, but a point of making an educated decision.

therefore I support that we must learn to come to self-willed decisions based on self-honesty and practical common sense, thus based on understanding cause & effect and thus the actual consequences of a point.
Andrew

Post by Andrew »

I have found that within process I have stopped participating in certain points that I found had no use/value what so ever like for instance with Alcohol. I do realize also that some points that are more engrained take time to stand free and clear of, like for instance something like eating sugar or other addiction points Thus I will test various points at various times and in this getting to know myself and how things affect my physical. One point to consider is doing 21 days of stopping a point as an application that one can utilize to test out including/discluding certain things in ones life.

Here is some videos with perspective on the 21 days application.

21 days to self freedom - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZpUfxIdCkJE

2012 trancending sleep addiction - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GicLSqlGmRE

2010 VLOG- WEED AND ABUSE part 1 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fYRUTGi7_Wk
AnthonyF

Post by AnthonyF »

Ann wrote:If you know yourself and know that you over indulge everytime you have a piece of chocolat ,then yes it might be better to stop eating it all together. If you for example could have a piece without needing to eat more and more, then it wouldn"t be an issue.

So it is really about knowing yourself, knowing your weaknesses, and also working on it. This can be done in various ways and you can see which works best for you in your current situation.

As for alcohol, I decided to not drink it since I was 16 years old, because it makes people dumb, violent, promiscuous, ignorant etc... I saw the statistics on how much misery it causes. I didn't want to sponsor that poison by buying it. So I decided not to drink it ever again.
Thanks Ann.
Yes I am definitely one of those people that can't stop with the chocolate!

That is true with the alcohol.
That's cool, I want to do the same and will not drink alcohol. I find it completely unnecessary.

Lindsay Craver wrote:
AnthonyF wrote:Right, I just want to know if it's okay to distance oneself from certain things.
Thanks.
Hi Anthony -

Through the process of 'distancing oneself for things' - we must be sure to not create a point of separation and potentially suppressed inner-friction/conflict through this, but utilize this decision as an opportunity to investigate who we are within such things - through the process of writing, self-forgiveness and self-corrective application we can explore the relationship ties that we have connected to such things that weren't supportive - and it is through this that we realize that it's not even the alcohol or the chocolate in themselves, but it's SELF that's the actual problem that must be sorted out.

So, when making such decision to not do something ever again, we must be sure that we are making that decision as the self-directive principle within an understanding of ourselves, not as an attempt to distance ourselves from our point of responsibility in standing equal to all things and through this investigating all things and keeping for ourselves each point that we see stands stable within the principle of that which is best for all life.

Currently, it is clear that alcohol is not that which is best for all life - however, that is clear for me - you must, through a process of self-investigation and self-reflection, see this for yourself so that when you make a decision, YOU are making the decision. Thus, you aren't making a decision based on some rule or fear or judgment, but an actual direct seeing.

So, suggest to look at 'who you are' within making the decision to never drink alcohol again, as well as never eat chocolate again - is there resistance when you consider the NEVER point? If there is, suggest to write it out for yourself (you can place your writings here in this thread, as well), to get really clear on your decision to such an extent that you do not require to ask if it's 'okay' from others, because you see the decision that you have made is clear, as you have investigated it in self-honesty and are able to express your decision as who you are in self-awareness here.

If anything is still not clear - let us know.
Cool, thanks Lindsay.
I see.
This in interesting.

I find no resistance when I consider the NEVER point. To both chocolate and alcohol this is.
I've just never given up on a food/drink completely, and perhaps wasn't sure if it was the 'correct' thing to do.
But I understand that there is no correct or incorrect way at looking at this, it's what I within myself see and do that matters.
Bella wrote:thanks for sharing everyone, cool perspectives!

just to share my understanding in my own words here:
distancing oneself from certain things as a decision to no longer support certain manifestations in this world, out of understanding that such manifestations do not support life or even harm life - yes, that is an actual decision and it's different to distancing oneself from certain things out of judgment or fear, for example.
so it's then not a point of separation or judgment, but a point of making an educated decision.

therefore I support that we must learn to come to self-willed decisions based on self-honesty and practical common sense, thus based on understanding cause & effect and thus the actual consequences of a point.
They are cool perspectives, thanks for yours too Bella.
Andrew wrote:I have found that within process I have stopped participating in certain points that I found had no use/value what so ever like for instance with Alcohol. I do realize also that some points that are more engrained take time to stand free and clear of, like for instance something like eating sugar or other addiction points Thus I will test various points at various times and in this getting to know myself and how things affect my physical. One point to consider is doing 21 days of stopping a point as an application that one can utilize to test out including/discluding certain things in ones life.

Here is some videos with perspective on the 21 days application.

21 days to self freedom - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZpUfxIdCkJE

2012 trancending sleep addiction - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GicLSqlGmRE

2010 VLOG- WEED AND ABUSE part 1 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fYRUTGi7_Wk
Cool, thanks for the links Andrew.
I'll check them out certainly.
Matti Freeman

Post by Matti Freeman »

With Alcohol, it's a poison that is simply detrimental -- which is entirely used as a point of consumerism as the primary drug to keep people numb and happy to keep accepting the abuse in this world. And - it's not a judgment toward alcohol, like I don't 'hate alcohol' or 'experience it' as 'negative' -- it's simply looking at what the consequence of alcohol is within the body and within the world and seeing that it is not best for all and has no practical value for the body in terms of consuming it

As far as chocolate and other foods, what I primarily look at is how my body responds to it -- and within that with chocolate for instance or with other foods - it's simply to look within self's starting point to see if there is a point of Consumerism being participated in - for example gorging yourself on chocolate because 'it's just so good' -- when in fact maybe your body only requires a little bit a couple times a week for support
AnthonyF

Post by AnthonyF »

Matti Freeman wrote:With Alcohol, it's a poison that is simply detrimental -- which is entirely used as a point of consumerism as the primary drug to keep people numb and happy to keep accepting the abuse in this world. And - it's not a judgment toward alcohol, like I don't 'hate alcohol' or 'experience it' as 'negative' -- it's simply looking at what the consequence of alcohol is within the body and within the world and seeing that it is not best for all and has no practical value for the body in terms of consuming it

As far as chocolate and other foods, what I primarily look at is how my body responds to it -- and within that with chocolate for instance or with other foods - it's simply to look within self's starting point to see if there is a point of Consumerism being participated in - for example gorging yourself on chocolate because 'it's just so good' -- when in fact maybe your body only requires a little bit a couple times a week for support
Definitely.
That is 100% true about alcohol.
That's what I do, gorge myself on chocolate because it's so good. Self-control is necessary.

Return to “Questions about Addictions”