Lack of appetite

Share questions, perspectives and relevant material about Body Support here
Iða Brá

Lack of appetite

Postby Iða Brá » 23 Jun 2015, 00:39

I have this point that I have been struggling with for a while where I do not have any appetite for food. At times during the week I do get it and feel what I wan to eat but mostly during my days I do not feel like eating anything at all. I feel hungry but do not have any appetite to eat anything in particular. And this in turn has the effect that I do not eat properly. It has even compounded to the point of feeling nausea and wanting to vomit, thinking about food or after eating, sometimes not always. The main things that I do have appetite for, when I get it, are freshly done fruit and vegetable smoothies/homemade juices and sweets, after sweets I mostly do not feel good but I tend to like the smoothies/juices, sometimes it gives me energy but sometimes it is hard in my stomach and have a hard time finishing them even though they are the only thing I feel like eating or rather drinking.
Does someone have a perspective on this?
I do see a connection to anxieties but this lack of appetite is so exaggerated that it feels like there is something more that I am not taking in to consideration.
I also have a 'clump' sensation in my throat that contributes to this experience.

Luc St-Amand

Re: Lack of appetite

Postby Luc St-Amand » 23 Jun 2015, 02:41

I drink lots of water through out the day, not only does it hydrate the body but it lubricates my appetite. So push yourself to drink more water if you dont already. Also aswell as scheduling meal times will assist your body to develope a routine that increases appetite.

CerisePoolman

Postby CerisePoolman » 23 Jun 2015, 21:15

First check any physical health-related causes, something as "strange" as unbalanced hormones can cause these kinds of experiences. At the same time investigate what may be contributing from your general experience - are there any thought patterns that are re-occurring? Is there something big or stressful happening in your life? Write these points out for yourself so you can see them clearly and direct yourself to live a solution.

Michelle

Postby Michelle » 24 Jun 2015, 07:44

I agree with Cerise to look at any thoughts and any big stressors in your life that may be contributing to lack of appetite and find solutions and direction for yourself. For me, in my personal life I found I would not eat when I was going through a lot of emotional turmoil and stress where nourishing and taking care of my body was the ''least of my concerns'' and what I was worried/stressed/focused on was ''more important.''

Also, you may want to look into a prebiotic/probiotic supplement to put the ''good'' bacteria in your gut to get your digestive system going (it worked for me when I lost my appetite from antibiotics).

Leila

Postby Leila » 24 Jun 2015, 17:16

In addition to the perspectives given, I'd look into the point of 'Uselessness' --see if there's any pattern/thoughts or experience of uselessness, whether it's in relation to dealing with a point or maybe a point or points where you've been struggling to get through them, where you enter a state of uselessness and 'what's the point' which could get reflected to your relationship with food, where a simple basic thing in life then also gets layered into a dimension of uselessness. Food is something which nourishes us, gives us life support -- so have a look at where you are denying yourself this nourishment/life-support within participating in thoughts of uselesness; as they are self-diminishing in nature.

christine

Postby christine » 25 Jun 2015, 17:54

Hi Ida,

Cool support/suggestions here, I would also consider getting a physical exam...

Marlen

Postby Marlen » 25 Jun 2015, 20:13

In addition to the perspectives given, I'd look into the point of 'Uselessness' --see if there's any pattern/thoughts or experience of uselessness, whether it's in relation to dealing with a point or maybe a point or points where you've been struggling to get through them, where you enter a state of uselessness and 'what's the point' which could get reflected to your relationship with food, where a simple basic thing in life then also gets layered into a dimension of uselessness. Food is something which nourishes us, gives us life support -- so have a look at where you are denying yourself this nourishment/life-support within participating in thoughts of uselesness; as they are self-diminishing in nature.

Awesome perspective here

And the sentence that popped up to me was this one "I feel hungry but do not have any appetite to eat anything in particular."
So here I then had to look at what it is to feel hungry, for example in my case I know I have specific times I have to eat something or my gastric acids will start gnawing my stomach because I have left it without food, so that's where i know I have neglected myself by not eating food at regular times. So that's the hungry experience: the void and the usual segregation of the stomach acids preparing to receive meals.

Now the point of 'appetite' is defined as "a natural desire to satisfy a bodily need, especially for food." So here Ida, I would suggest as it has been mentioned to look at where it is that one is participating in the mind with the perception that one should not satisfy/quench that hunger by eating something, by assisting the body and so this sounds to me also like a point of being hard on oneself for some reason, as Leila said, where is it that you are not wanting to nurture yourself and so considering the physical body first and spotting where in the mind there is an 'interference' where this idea of requiring such appetite is necessary to assist the body.

With this I mean that even the 'likeness' for certain foods can be fueled by the mind, example a craving for sugars will usually only give food to the mind as I've tested out one can get quite emotional and so forth with it if one is in such mindset - so see where is it that you are not the directive principle in Feeding yourself/feeding your body with what it requires to function properly - and so this means at the same time: spotting where is it that in the mind you are neglecting yourself on this, where you are denying yourself this support, and so the next question is: why would you deny yourself such support?

These are some questions I would ask myself because then we can create a perception of not having appetite even if our body naturally does require food - hereby I also clarify that I've never experienced this, not that I can recall because I mostly avoid having any gastric acids running in my stomach without food, or else I'll get a gastritis pain and man, that's not good - I cannot even skip one dinner because next day I'll be suffering with this.

So, that's my perspective, might ring a bell or not - but this is what I see could possibly be supportive - let us know how it goes!

Iða Brá

Postby Iða Brá » 01 Jul 2015, 04:54

Thanks everyone for your perspectives/suggestions/support.
Luc wrote
I drink lots of water through out the day, not only does it hydrate the body but it lubricates my appetite. So push yourself to drink more water if you dont already.
So I did have the idea that I drank a lot of water but with your comment, I had a closer look and see I do not distribute my water drinking equally throughout the day. I tend to rather drink more in the evenings and then get really hungry right before going to sleep. So it made sense and so I started to focus on always having a bottle with me during the whole day. I have been peeing a lot though. lol. So my body does not seem to want to hold it in. This has been regular always when I focus on drinking more water.
I also have had sports drinks during these days and what I felt when I drank the first bottle was some tension release in my stomach.

I do think I see there is a change in my appetite. I have been able to eat more and the nausea is very slight, if any at all.
So I am going to carry this on for sure. Thanks

But I see there are other factors as well at play, that the girls are mentioning, which I have been dealing with and starting to see effect of.
Cerice wrote
First check any physical health-related causes, something as "strange" as unbalanced hormones can cause these kinds of experiences.
I did go to the doctor to check on this before asking on the forum. He said that there was nothing 'wrong' with me, that I am a 'healthy young lady', and that I am 'probably making a big deal out of nothing' (lol, which is true if I see my stressors and that they do not need to be a big deal, but then that is not how he meant it, but the words are specific), but that maybe it could be gastritis. And then he prescribed me something for gastritis. And took a blood sample to check on something, possibly hormones, not sure what it was, to be sure it was nothing else. But I am going to call tomorrow to check if something came out of that.
I have not bought what he prescribed because everything seemed very uncertain and I want to be more sure before taking it in.

Micelle wrote
I agree with Cerise to look at any thoughts and any big stressors in your life that may be contributing to lack of appetite and find solutions and direction for yourself. For me, in my personal life I found I would not eat when I was going through a lot of emotional turmoil and stress where nourishing and taking care of my body was the ''least of my concerns'' and what I was worried/stressed/focused on was ''more important.''

Yes I definitely have some big 'stressors' I am working on, and have been working on for a long time finding a solution for... Lol. They seem deeply rooted and complicated. But then the other night something BIG happened that showed me a lot about this point or rather multiple intertwined points. Suppressed memories and emotions came forth and things became much clearer, I really had to work on letting them come forth and not suppress. Very hard to experience in the moment and a bit after, but grateful for it, opened up a lot.

And yes I can defiantly relate to the point of 'nourishing and taking care of my body becomes the "least of my concerns" ' in stressful times. It is like the body goes in to a constant fight or flight mode, basically constant tension, "no time to take care, just run run run, fight fight fight, get through! push" instead of slowing down. So the bodily experience is that this makes the body tens up so much that there is no space for nourishment and care. Basically no relaxation, no smoothness, no openness. Just completely stiffened up and shutting everything off.
Like, I imagine feeding/watering a rock compared to.. lets say soil, de difference. lol

So we will se how it goes for my appetite as I walk this through.

Leila wrote

The uselessness plays a big role in with my stressors, it is very complicated yet so specific.
And hey, I am really getting somewhere here this time.
And I was definitely forced to see how I am denying myself this nourishment by the scenario happening the other night.

Interesting though that right before this happened I had made some major commitments and really felt this time that I am standing by them. Then this bomb fell down on me from the harshest direction and smashed it all for a moment but ohh how my commitment became clearer by that.

I am not going to go in to more detail here now and I will come back to answer Marlen.

Thanks everyone I appreciate it :) :D

Iða Brá

Postby Iða Brá » 02 Jul 2015, 01:02

So I heard with a doctor what came out of the blood sample and what it is they where testing.

They tested hormone levels, blood levels, vitamin B12 , and iron. Everything was in 'perfect' order.

So, now to carry on walking through the mind points and drinking water and then I am also looking in to getting a prebiotic/probiotic supplement like Michelle suggested.

I am seeing changes already in mind and body. :)

Marlen

Postby Marlen » 02 Jul 2015, 06:49

Great, Ida! Thanks for sharing the results

Let us know how it goes in some more time

Return to “Body Support”