Playing a concert in front of a lot of people

Share and ask your moments and experiences in random, unpredictable, sudden moments that happened to you - you'd like to understand. Whether it be during a discussion with someone and not understanding why certain thoughts / behaviours came up in you or another. Not understanding another's facial expression or even your own when looking in the mirror etc. So, this thread is dedicated to the everyday life moments we WONDER about but never ask.
jazzybeard

Playing a concert in front of a lot of people

Postby jazzybeard » 27 Jun 2017, 22:20

So this is a real good post for me

I have had concerts with my guitar that has been awesome, but any of them was perfect, I have never had a 10/10 concert and if I ever experiment that special fredom in the moment I need it and I create something that impress myself because of the potential to play with the heart that I didn't know it was there I will really die of joy, I can say that that is the goal of my life, it would be so beautiful to create what I would create with the instrument the way I want it, and amplified because I am in a concert

So, I have had sometimes the ability to take this energy of the concerts and enjoy it, and then create something that is better than normal. As i said, I have never had a 10/10 concert and seriously that is what I desire and I will do anything to feel what is a perfect concert, it's what I chase in my life, but lately... I think that because of my awareness, I notice that awesome concerts as I used to consider them in the past are not that awesome, because I am not absolutely free, they could be awesome in the past but not anymore

In fact, I had an upgrade in my music recently, and my concerts went from playing for people who don't care, to play for people who wants me do it as good as possible, and not only play, I have to dance too... and I have never danced :lol: and I am just there like okay raul let go your mind, relax your movements, don't create tention
thanks god I don't have to speak!!

So in the concerts, most of the time I am okay, I am not absolutely relaxed, but I am okay, in fact what I play is easy so there is no problem. The problem comes when I have to play the solos, the solos are very fast parts, so I need a lot of focus, I need to bring everything I have learnt to make the solo easier, and what happens most of the times is that I am feeling such an ammount of energy and enjoyment and excitement that I am not able to play the solo as good as I do it alone, relaxed, in my house. So my fingers don't move correctly, they are shaking, my right hand fails too, and even if the people listening don't really notice I have felt a failure in my solo and I am going down and I stop dancing as I was before.

Soooo, I'd like to know how this works, I haven't really found any topic or interview or audio talking about this, when you are in front of a lot of people and you are nervious, and your sences are amplified, and you can create magic or go down to failure. Does it have to work this way? What am I missing? Can anyone guide me about how can I relax my mind in the concerts and create what I really would create without tension? I mean it's very easy for me to think that I would play great in a concert right now, relaxed, at home, but when the concert comes, when I'm finally in the scenario and the solo of the song comes, the part where everybody will be focusing on me, I just tend to fuck up.

Any help will be very appreciated, if not there is no problem!! Thanks
i feel like i would love one audio of sunnette in equafe talking about this

Marlen

Re: Playing a concert in front of a lot of people

Postby Marlen » 29 Jun 2017, 17:07

Yep! That's a known experience for sure and in fact there is a series that explains all of the details of this experience along with the suggested corrections, here it is:

Deconstructing Nervousness - Atlanteans - Part 89

and the subsequent ones:
Overcoming Nervousness - Atlanteans - Part 90
Overcoming Nervousness (Part 2) - Atlanteans - Part 91
Sounding Self Forgiveness for Nervousness - Atlanteans - Part 92
Finalising Nervousness Support - Atlanteans - Part 93

Share back again here what you find out in relation to solutions based on what you get to listen in these ones! Should be interesting what you find and what you can place into practice

If you want them in spanish, they're also here: Deconstruyendo el Nerviosismo - Apoyo de los Atlantes - Parte 89

viktor

Postby viktor » 15 Jul 2017, 22:36

There is a technique called the 'Alexander method' (see here http://www.alexandertechnique.com/) that has been developed, to among other things, support actors and musicians to perform better. I have not delved deep into it myself, however from what I have gathered, it is a body-awareness technique, through which you train yourself to be relaxed and at ease in your body. This might be something to look into for you.

Then I also suggest that you take a listen to those interviews that Marlen linked to, they are great. I have applied the suggestions given in these interviews for myself while doing seminars in school. It supported me to be a lot more comfortable and stable while talking in-front of a large audience.

Finally, I suggest that you practice BREATHING – being aware of your breathing and within that assisting and supporting yourself to slow down and ground yourself in your body, while you are playing at a concert. Breathing with awareness has helped me to relax and ground my feelings and emotions, many, many times, and it never fails.

jazzybeard

Postby jazzybeard » 17 Jul 2017, 16:40

Thanks for the help, I bought those ones when Marlen commented it, I will take a look at this thing you say, I am more stable each concert, I enjoy it more, I play better, the solos are working very well, but I am not 100% calmed, it's a long journey until I can be absolutely expressive, I am waiting to share what I discover

Marlen

Postby Marlen » 18 Jul 2017, 05:51

cool feedback, Raul, keep sharing as you go

jazzybeard

Postby jazzybeard » 18 Jul 2017, 21:46

I have noticed there is a difference between opening your heart, and when your heart just opens
these are two different things, I think I don't need to do anything in my concerts, if I have the potential, that I do, it will just reveal itself
I don't have to do anything, I don't have to try to open myself, or to feel more, or even fake it, so it starts happening alone, I mean sometimes I have to do that strategy of faking, because I am not always playing the parts that I enjoy in music, I play a loooot of crap music in the scenario, but I am talking about the real part, there are parts of the concerts I enjoy so much that I my heart just goes free, and other parts that I am looking for the combination between the play, the movements, the intelligence I want to present of how much I have worked the solo and how good and fast I can play it, and the playing with the heart, that's what I am looking for, a combination between the skill and the heart, and the skill is easy to get, you always know if you have it or not, you can play this or not, but the heart is other story, you can play without enjoying, and that can even lead you to not only stop enjoying, but not being able to play what you know you can play
So I am gonna do this, what it has to be, what it has to happen in those fast moments where I try to bring everything, it will happen, I only have to stop in honesty and oness and equality

jazzybeard

Postby jazzybeard » 18 Jul 2017, 21:56

And by the way playing while enjoying makes you go faster, you have extra energy, you can play in a more beautiful way that is what we as musicians look for, we want the skill, but we need the heart, that feels like the creation of a universe inside yourself that brings an amplified view and potential, I can even say that when I am nervious in the scenario I have had moments when I played even better than in my relaxed working space in my secured home, because I had the oportunity, I had the energy, it was there, I had a barrier, a resistance, but I also had the posibility of expanding myself, anytime you find a barrier, you find the expanding posibility, it's up to you, there are only two ways you can accept the barrier or you can expand your limits, it will always be like that, two choices, so the better choice is to stop having fear and go as hard as you can

Marlen

Postby Marlen » 20 Jul 2017, 16:47

Cool insights Raúl, maybe you can look at the word intensity as self expression, passion perhaps as well so that you can expand your vocabulary from only seeing it as 'energy' moving through you, but instead make it more of a point of self-awareness of becoming a word as you play, the same with 'pushing boundaries' and going past limitations, hmm what word could describe this? to me it can be perseverance for example, innovation perhaps as well where in the moment you 'find a way through' and expand yourself.

So this is something you can look at as you go noticing your capacity while performing and in doing so deciding to express yourself in different ways. I can definitely relate to 'faking it till you make it' because that's also part of how we feel an 'awkwardness' in any process of change of deciding to express ourselves beyond the judgments that we've imposed to the things that we do, and in doing so, rather focus on 'who I decide to be' while I am doing/expressing certain things that I had defined as 'crappy' for example - which happens to me with paintings and images that I could define as 'crappy' but that I've been also pushing myself and am in the process of not focusing so much on 'the image' but rather in deciding to express myself in the painting to the best of my ability, or developing my skills to doing something out of my comfort zone as well, not doing only things that 'I personally like' which has been cool as well in my case. I wrote a blog on this 'awkwardness' point in a process of change if you'd like to read it https://marlenvargasdelrazo.wordpress.c ... of-change/ and some more about 'inspiration' which I've seen you've been writing about as well https://marlenvargasdelrazo.wordpress.c ... spiration/

Thanks for sharing and keep the feedback coming!

jazzybeard

Postby jazzybeard » 20 Jul 2017, 17:14

Thank you very much, I'll for sure take a look at what you have expressed in your blog and I will expand my vocabulary, maybe thinking in the word in spanish and then translating it to english

Marlen

Postby Marlen » 20 Jul 2017, 18:35

Yep sure, use the language that you feel most comfortable with when it comes to living words, redefining them.
Enjoy!

Return to “Questions and Perspectives about Everyday Life Moments”