Focusing

Share and ask your moments and experiences in random, unpredictable, sudden moments that happened to you - you'd like to understand. Whether it be during a discussion with someone and not understanding why certain thoughts / behaviours came up in you or another. Not understanding another's facial expression or even your own when looking in the mirror etc. So, this thread is dedicated to the everyday life moments we WONDER about but never ask.
Danielle

Focusing

Post by Danielle »

I have questions about patterns - In thought patterns is it the repeating of words within the mind?

Is it where in the mind the thoughts that would ''usually run'' become thoughts that are usualy fueled for movement?

I give example

When I would ride my bike there would be this backchat within the mind that would fuel a lot of energy. This backchat would keep fuelling the conflictual patterns within me as if keeping the energy going. I would remember to remain focused on what I am doing so I would remain focus on what I am doing.

would a thought pattern be something that makes us fall into the Mind? as even like a weakness, and to stop the participation is it best to find ways to ground self here witht he body?
I'd have to be aware as well wouldn't I.

So, do I focus mainly on ''what thoughts are coming up in the mind'', where - if you look at it there is the focus on the body then sometimes there could be more focus on other parts of the body then the full focus of the body entirely - which is what I have been trying to do - though finding difficulty remaining as the full focus on the physical body and end up becoming only focused on either parts of the body. Then a thought comes up which would take me back to the head region where it is tight, and full of the backchat.

So - I realize that I must be breathing to stop the thoughts entirely to where I can remain focused on the whole of the body right?
Carrie

Re: Focusing

Post by Carrie »

Hey Danielle.
I have questions about patterns - In thought patterns is it the repeating of words within the mind?

Is it where in the mind the thoughts that would ''usually run'' become thoughts that are usualy fueled for movement?
Thought patterns are the predictable sequence of thoughts - whether they are words, images, or memories. They are the same over-and-over-and-over again. So as an example, say you're riding your bike and your bottom begins to hurt because the bicycle seat is uncomfortable. You might have the thought, "This bike is so uncomfortable" and "I hate having to ride my bike." And from there, you will go into the all the reasons that you hate to ride your bike, memories of yourself riding a bike, how you shouldn't have to ride a bike, and then how something in your external environment is to blame for you having to ride your bike and be uncomfortable.
would a thought pattern be something that makes us fall into the Mind? as even like a weakness, and to stop the participation is it best to find ways to ground self here witht he body?
Thoughts are like bait where one thought can take you from one thought to another and another until, before you know it, you've completely been led astray from your original point that required your attention to be here and directing it. Yes, it is best to stop participation and ground yourself here - you can practice doing this with the 4-count breath which will assist and support you to focus on your body and to slow yourself down so that you will see the thoughts coming up.
So, do I focus mainly on ''what thoughts are coming up in the mind'', where - if you look at it there is the focus on the body then sometimes there could be more focus on other parts of the body then the full focus of the body entirely - which is what I have been trying to do - though finding difficulty remaining as the full focus on the physical body and end up becoming only focused on either parts of the body. Then a thought comes up which would take me back to the head region where it is tight, and full of the backchat.
With practicing the 4-count breath, it will become easier for you to not get distracted by thoughts and instead focus on your physical body. As I practiced, what I found more challenging then the thoughts coming up were the itches, prickles, and random physical pain that came up - because I was aware that thoughts were just thoughts - that they came up seemingly out of 'no where' and I used them to distract myself from myself for a LONG time. But my physical body, I found that I had no clue about so I would easily be distracted by these sensations. So, as another level of self-support, as you're practicing your breathing, being here, seeing the thoughts that are coming up, and getting to know yourself, you can say self-forgiveness in the moment for the thoughts, backchat, and tightness, and other physical sensations that you become aware of so that you're not as easily influenced by them.
So - I realize that I must be breathing to stop the thoughts entirely to where I can remain focused on the whole of the body right?
Sounds good and sounds like you answered your question.

Does this assist with making these points of thoughts, thought patterns, breathing, and focusing clearer?
KasperKwan

Post by KasperKwan »

Thank you for the support Carrie!
Terrone28

Post by Terrone28 »

Danielle wrote: So - I realize that I must be breathing to stop the thoughts entirely to where I can remain focused on the whole of the body right?
I think you already know what you must do. :)

Return to “Questions and Perspectives about Everyday Life Moments”