How to live off of my music

Share and ask your moments and experiences in random, unpredictable, sudden moments that happened to you - you'd like to understand. Whether it be during a discussion with someone and not understanding why certain thoughts / behaviours came up in you or another. Not understanding another's facial expression or even your own when looking in the mirror etc. So, this thread is dedicated to the everyday life moments we WONDER about but never ask.
Nicklk1795

How to live off of my music

Post by Nicklk1795 »

So I've decided to dedicate my earlier life at least to getting better at my craft in music, and living off of it. I was also thinking of joining a union where I play for orchestras, which will be down the line a couple of years. My goals are to be successful as a musician though, and travel the world playing at venues and stuff. I think that would be really fun. But I want to spread the message of desteni, and what's best for all. Anyone have any perspectives, or advice on this? Thank you
AnthonyF

Re: How to live off of my music

Post by AnthonyF »

Sounds like a cool idea Nick!
It's definitely cool to be ambitious and yes especially cool that you want to spread the message of Desteni within this musical outlet. Not sure if here you mean by for example writing songs with lyrics that represent Equality and Oneness etc, or writing songs with lyrics that are 'general', but perhaps spreading messages of Equality and Oneness/Desteni at concerts/between songs etc. Either way is cool I reckon.
I'd personally keep it 'in the background' type of thing, more like as a hobbie, because obviously it's not easy to get famous etc/well known. Not saying it's impossible of course, just that there are so many out there doing the same thing. Youtube seems to be an awesome way of getting one's name out there. How many have been on there and then gotten interviews/spots on the Ellen show for example? A lot from what I've seen! So at least in that sense it's 'easier' in a way to get one's output out there for all to see, but of course it depends on how many people come across it etc.

But yeah, I just think it's best not to 'put all your eggs in one basket' type thing by focusing purely and/or too much on this ambition. Always best to stay practical with what one knows will be best, in regards to money, survival, enjoyment and so on.

Good luck!
Nicklk1795

Post by Nicklk1795 »

Thank you Anthony!
Joao

Post by Joao »

Hi Nick,

I have some experience as a musician and being in the music industry -- so here is what I have to say:

I suggest that, if this is indeed what you want to do, that you decide to do it full on. This is something that I haven't done myself and I regret only having done it for many years only 'half way'.

I suggest that you really really really develop your skills to the best of your ability -- which will continuously increase as you practice. Therefore, whatever your instrument is, practice it until your fingers bleed or your lungs hurt (figuratively speaking....). You must be so good that you stand out from the crowd. Develop the playing, the technique, musicality, theory, arrangement, reading... everything! Don't leave any area untouched.

Besides working intensely on everything that is directly related to playing, I also highly suggest that you learn about the business itself: how it is structured, what sources of income are available, etc.... There is plenty of information available online for free that should keep you busy for a good while.

BUILD RELATIONSHIPS! Like most businesses, music is about relationships. If you are going to music school, make good friends with the best players and the most dedicated -- because these will be the ones employed and they will be a source of contacts for you (and vice-versa). Therefore, develop people skills: be reliable, on time, trustworthy, etc.... Common sense!

Depending on what it is you really want to do, I would also consider learning about music production/recording. Investing in some recording equipment is always cool because you can start to put ideas down --- and it also assists with experience in the studio. It will make you a better player and help you develop composition skills. The more you do, the better at you get at it.

Ultimately what you have to do is make yourself a well rounded musician but with something that makes you stand out --- something that will provide an extra value to the orchestra/band/group etc.... And you must have a net-work that will support you with getting work and thus you will have a net-income lol.

Study how other musicians made it (or any successful person, for that matter). There are tons of musicians out there. There are lots and lots fo good musicians. There are plenty of great musicians. But there aren't a lot of OUTSTANDING musicians -- and those that are, if they have a good business mind and people's skills -- these will do well.

I am not a fan of Kanye West, but after reading about him and watching some videos, I learned some things about his path that allowed him to be successful. Here is a video I made about it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fMDws9hr4z8

I hope this helps!
Nicklk1795

Post by Nicklk1795 »

helly jaoa, im sorry i havent been giving you feedback since you have been supporting me. I will take this info though and apply it, and if i have any questions ill ask. thank you so much.
Arizona

Post by Arizona »

AnthonyF wrote:Sounds like a cool idea Nick!
It's definitely cool to be ambitious and yes especially cool that you want to spread the message of Desteni within this musical outlet. Not sure if here you mean by for example writing songs with lyrics that represent Equality and Oneness etc, or writing songs with lyrics that are 'general', but perhaps spreading messages of Equality and Oneness/Desteni at concerts/between songs etc. Either way is cool I reckon.
I'd personally keep it 'in the background' type of thing, more like as a hobbie, because obviously it's not easy to get famous etc/well known. Not saying it's impossible of course, just that there are so many out there doing the same thing. Youtube seems to be an awesome way of getting one's name out there. How many have been on there and then gotten interviews/spots on the Ellen show for example? A lot from what I've seen! So at least in that sense it's 'easier' in a way to get one's output out there for all to see, but of course it depends on how many people come across it etc.

But yeah, I just think it's best not to 'put all your eggs in one basket' type thing by focusing purely and/or too much on this ambition. Always best to stay practical with what one knows will be best, in regards to money, survival, enjoyment and so on.

Good luck!
One day I want to make a happy hardcore track with equality oneness/desteni message/vocals. The music genre has such potential because it really keeps you in the moment, of course like you said it'll purely be a hobbie project. I have no ambitions to try to become a DJ and what not, but this is something I think would be really cool to put effort into a single creation of a track. :D here's an example of the genre https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AZnGTplOabg
AnthonyF

Post by AnthonyF »

Arizona wrote:
AnthonyF wrote:Sounds like a cool idea Nick!

Good luck!
One day I want to make a happy hardcore track with equality oneness/desteni message/vocals. The music genre has such potential because it really keeps you in the moment, of course like you said it'll purely be a hobbie project. I have no ambitions to try to become a DJ and what not, but this is something I think would be really cool to put effort into a single creation of a track. :D here's an example of the genre https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AZnGTplOabg
That'd be really cool Arizona! Checked out the link, quite cool, I can definitely see lyrics as Oneness and Equality within this type of music, awesome.
Kirill does a lot of DJ stuff
Listen to 2017 - 02 - 11 18h29m05 - Just House Stuff by Kirill Hallmond -
https://soundcloud.com/kirill-hallmond/ ... ouse-stuff

He's walking process with Desteni too.
viktor

Post by viktor »

My suggestion would be to NOT make music your main source of income and instead earn your money in an area where it is easier. There is an extreme competition in the music industry and it is very difficult to achieve a good and reliable salary. I would instead make music a hobby to be pursued in your free-time. You would still be able to enjoy yourself within music, and with a good salary, you would be able to travel the world as much you would like to – however more importantly – you would have a stable economic foundation from which you can apply and walk your process.

This is the way I have approached work/career: Work is something that I do primarily to survive – however that does not stop me from enjoying my work or expanding myself within it. Unless it is practical/sustainable – I do not mix what I enjoy (hobbies) with that which earns me a living – because my life simply does not function effectively if I do. And – with Desteni – I have made the decision to live and apply the principles and tools of Desteni regardless of where I am – whether I am participating in my hobby or working – Desteni and the process of self-change is something that I always bring with me.
Marlen

Post by Marlen »

I agree with Viktor. Music industry at the moment is one huge jackpot situation, you either hit it big time or not at all.

I actually came to know about one artist/musician that I've come to appreciate not so much for his art or music but for who he is within it all, and I didn't know that he's had a very regular 8 hour job in the system in the postal system of his country, while keeping himself active in producing music and generally being quite the 'reference' for others in such music genre. And I found it quite admirable in a way that he had the opportunity to completely be selling his music due to the position his band has in that music scene, but still he preferred to not have to go on tours, record music that people can buy or get but still keep himself working in a regular job like everyone else, for as many decades as he's been active in the music scene, and if you see him you would not guess he's actually this 'responsible person' working in the system, lol. And I found that cool to know about him as well, where in his case it might be more of a personal principle to not 'sell out' in a way, but at the same time, he gets to make money just like everyone else does and be responsible in it even if his music stands as the antithesis of it all, so I also like how he's managed to not define himself by the job he has and still stay quite 'true' to his vision and art.

In all cases you can research him, he's actually the guy I wrote a whole series of blogs about lol, because I saw probably too many qualities in him that I'd like to integrate in my living but that's Gylve from Darkthrone, figure it out! I feel like I am exposing myself in some way but there you go, I consider him to be quite authentic even if I don't particularly like his music but as a person, even if I don't completely agree with his views or principles either, I find he stays quite true to himself even if it's not the most 'supportive' or anything- so don't get me wrong, not an 'example' in terms of all desteni principles or anything like that, but certainly in his context, life and how he's managed that artistic/creative aspect of himself in equilibrium with being a regular person in the system and you can see where that has gotten him in the music world as well, meaning to see that it's not a limitation to have a regular job and making it in the music scene as well.

In fact he recently got elected to take some political position in his county in Norway lol that was by mistake apparently, but also kind of proves that even if he can be 'anti-system', he had to assume such responsibility anyways due to being 'in this world/in this system' as well.

Ok, so check that out or learn from how other artists have done so, investigate their biographies which is something I usually nurture myself with as well and learning from other people I come to 'admire' or 'look up to' but not in a superior or inferior way, but more like learning-from to see what I can integrate in my life.

Return to “Questions and Perspectives about Everyday Life Moments”