Practical advice for 4-count breathing

Ask questions related to applying self forgiveness and walking self corrective application
alex.c

Practical advice for 4-count breathing

Post by alex.c »

I find that keeping track of time while practicing my 4-count breathing is difficult. Utilizing my mind while trying to let go of the mind sounds almost insane. So I found another method (still requires using your mind :lol:) using a metronome. Here is the one I use online, free. It is always on my second monitor screen because it is something that I require every breath. On my way to 21 days of self freedom! Who here has gone through this process already?

Online metronome: (I set mine to 88bpm)
http://www.online-stopwatch.com/metronome
viktor

Re: Practical advice for 4-count breathing

Post by viktor »

Hi Alex,

I've walked through the process of using the four count breath and it assisted and supported me to develop a stable awareness of my breath. A mistake that I did when I initially practiced the four count breath was that my breathing pattern became mechanical and rigid - it wasn't a natural flow of air but more like dam that releases its water after a certain amount of time. Thus, I suggest that when you practice this method, that you also pay attention to the experience you have of yourself and your physical body, so that you're able to notice if your breathing becomes constricted, and then you can re-align your application so that you breathe in equality with your body – and this equality-breathing will be experienced more as a gentle flow.
alex.c

Post by alex.c »

Thanks, yes I too have experienced the rigidness you speak of and I agree it can be uncomfortable and maybe even harmful if you suppress your natural instinct to breath shorter/longer, etc.. So this metronome is definitely not something to be absolute. It is, for me, just a guide or a tool to help establish regularity. I consistently fall off-beat from it, and I accept that. But it has helped me a long way in establishing my intervals between breaths to be more consistent, and that is just something I wanted to share.
Leila

Post by Leila »

Hey Alex,

I only use the 4-count breath in specific instances - and otherwise make a point of it to be aware of myself breathing.
When I first started out practicing 4-count breath / being aware of me breathing - I was trying really hard not to think, for nothing to come up - and to then try and do this for 21 days.
This did not work out at all lol -- because I was in essence denying who I was and where I am at in my process; kind of like being a robot but trying really hard not to be one - if that makes sense.

So instead of wanting to achieve this breathing for 21 days / x-amount of time - I realised that this point was an excercise as much as it was the entire process I am walking in itself. Because - as long as there is any form of programming inside of self: thoughts will come up, reactions will occur, breaths will be missed. And so I realised that it's to take those thoughts, those reactions - see what patterns/constructs they represent, investigate them, release them, correct them - and continue breathing - until the next breath you missed by reacting. And so, within walking moment by moment, breath by breath and taking on the skipped breaths, the moments where you react = you systematically take on your Self Programming, peel away a layer at a time until one day you don't miss any of your breaths and then you will have your 21 days of breathing and beyond.

So, cool if the metronome is assisting you with your breathing application -- but remember that it is but a bridge to support you and that you will have to stand as that support for yourself in time to come, to remind yourself, to push yourself to be here in everybreath - and that the beat/consistency of your breathing pattern is not as important as your simple awareness of you breathing.

And to also not place to much importance/emphasis on the days/time you are 'accomplishing' but to focus on the process/journey and to work with what comes up.

Enjoy the process!

Return to “Self-Forgiveness and Practical Application Questions and Perspectives”