How we're programmed through school

Ask questions related to your individual process or life in the experience of yourself and mind - pertaining to thoughts, emotions, feelings, behaviours, habits etc. This thread is dedicated to those who'd like to understand more about the inner-workings of your own mind and then effects of this on your life and relationships.
Anna

How we're programmed through school

Post by Anna »

Hi everyone.

Yesterday Marlen sent me this video where Charles Eisenstein hosts a workshop titled deschooling ourselves'. I found it very aligned with what we're walking in Desteni and especially on the topic of how we're programmed through the school system.

For myself I've seen, for example in walking DIP how I would react to the assignments in exact/similar ways as to how I would experience school/school work as a child and I found I had to first deconstruct/deprogram my relationship to this point before I could walk DIP effectively, in not having a 'veil' of programs limiting me from effectively walking the course.

In Eisenstein's videos they list a lot of the behaviors that we create through our participation in school and I found it very supportive as something we can utilize for ourselves to investigate how we've programmed ourselves into certain patterns.

I also made a vlog about it here: ONE SCHOOL, UNITED AGAINST LIFE
Marlen

Re: How we're programmed through school

Post by Marlen »

I wrote a blog about this: 418. Deschooling Ourselves: Why and How to Do it?

And yes, this process is definitely what would have been perfect to explain at the end of that workshop because simply saying 'I'll change tomorrow' is a very broad statement where we usually don't have the actual guidelines and structure of how to do it. So Desteni and this process is ideal to walk through the patterns identified and one resonated with throughout the various patterns people have shared there, which is another proof of how we are in fact working on similar patterns as people there can identify themselves with one another's experience, which is also what we work on here at the forum.

Cool and let's keep the discussion going!
YoganBarrientos

Post by YoganBarrientos »

So schooling is an interesting topic for me. I have had different perspective, some which I used to fervently believe, and now realize as limited. So in opening up and sharing my perspective, I am going to give a physical definition/breakdown of what school is. So a school is usually a building, with people in it. You have teachers which are often adults, and you have students that are often younger. In principle what defines a teacher and student isn't age. More essentially, it is that one has training, or knowledge/information, or experience that would be beneficial or useful for the students to learn. In principle, which I observe happening in not only all the various types of schools, but also in all other social settings, the students become a copy of the teacher. So on a deeper level, all of the fears, thoughts, ideas, of the teacher in some way or another influence the students, which could be happening subconsciously or unconsciously. There are many dimensions that can be affected, which included what we call self-esteem, or the self-image or self-belief of what the child believes themselves to be and capable of becoming. There is also another dimension that interacts with all of this, and that is the fact that there are many students and one teacher. Therefore there are many points of comparisons available to gauge, judge, measure, and determine who one is in relation to everyone else. This is most notably done with grades. More subconsciously, it is done through praises, raising your hand and answer questions, looks and smiles by the teacher etc... Children are constantly in the school environment, assessing and determining who they are based on the outside input. They are not at all, if maybe rarely, determining/deciding who they are. I see it as something completely predictable, which there is a sort of philosophy where people believe their whole life is already determined. On the school level this seems clearly so, because if you take all the variables and factors of a child life, see what natural talents and skills that they had while starting school, which were often developed based on outside forces, such as parents and teachers, you will see the choices they made and the achievements that had were completely predictable. I had many teachers growing up and I count myself as one of the lucky ones. I did well in school, yet at the same time recognizing that I didn't learn anything really useful, except that I can take in information, and repeat it. I did have my own form of philosophy, however it really was a carbon copy of my parents and other teachers. There was nothing really original because I didn't question or challenge myself. That is why every school year felt the same.

As much as I would like to say its the schools fault, or the way the school is set up, I can't. It really has to do with the people. Because, like I said, a school is just a building with people in it. What defines and determines any system, or any group, are the people. Its simple, but true. So if you want to raise a child to be a certain way, you need to surround them with the right people. To have a better classroom, you need a better teacher. And it is all very multidimensional, meaning that there are many students with their own histories and influences that can influence each other. There is a saying that to raise a child takes a village or community. Because that is what is happening right now, your community is what is raising your child. The books they read, the stories they learn, the tv shows, the games, all social interaction, everything is creating, them because really when you look down at it, each thing is an opportunity. Children can read the same thing, but they will respond differently. Why? A simple answer could be their history. The kind of person that they have become is what allows them to see, read, learn, and take something away in a specific way. That person was developed early in life. And each moment lead to the next, leading to the one that is here right now. It is like a mathematical equation 1+2+9-5+6-2-1+9= ? So it becomes complex, but each moment is simple and simply adds onto or takes away from what is already here. To get a certain outcome, you need to push and place opportunities that will guarantee, over time, that outcome. What teacher or school is aware of this? Most just follow a curriculum given by their government. Some are independent, and are more aware, but who is completely aware of all the details that make/determine a human being? So again, I said that I can't place responsibility on the school, since all their exists is people. One important thing that is missed is how the student is a person. A child is a person. Most people do not define children as people. They often define a child as less than, as knowing less, or as inferior to adults. When really a child is a person, through and through and thus equal. So a child is capable, in whatever extent it has, to create itself and take responsibility and be independent. A child really, when you break down the moments, teach themselves everything. You cannot really teach someone else something, that's a myth or an illusion. Really, a child does all the work. The teacher simply shows the information to be taken in. The child does the work of putting it in. Thus the child does have the final say in every situation, of whether a certain piece of information is taken into him or herself. A child can say no, and be selective. That ability is perhaps the most important ability that a parent can help the child to realize that he or she has, and of course to show and demonstrate what principle that are best to use as your ruler or guide as to what to assimilate and what not to. In essence, all learning, and the most important point in learning anything, is firstly establishing your principle of learning, what are you learning and why are you doing it. What determines whether you do something or not. Your principle. If you don't have a principle than you are living fairly randomly, which is living in chaos. You would surely die, since you do not even take care of your own basic needs for existing on this earth. If a strong principle or character is established, than a child can safely learn and be exposed to any information, learn and assimilate what is best, and act what is best for all in all ways. The prize or key is not information, it is rather the principle or character, essentially the answer to the question, who are you? which the answer would be your principle because that determines all that you do, predictably. A real school program would be that. Right now schools believe information is key. That is misleading and is hinting at a secret intention of placing in information into the child without them ever being aware of that information, and their choice to decide who they will become, and perhaps more importantly that they can actually live in a way that benefits them and all life. Do you want to a principle or a piece of information? There is a big difference. That is what we have now, everyone has a statement or belief about who they are, they are all pieces of information: I am a nationality, I am a gender, I am strong, beautiful handsome, I am young, old, I am whatever. If that is all you are, you're very limited. Who here is living by principle? That shows how schools aren't fulfilling the only job that would be worth fulfilling and giving to the child, to make sure that the child develops it, a character based on principle, a principle that is best for all. Doing that would be much more challenging and rewarding, because then you are dealing with a real human being that is asking you questions, that is challenging you, that is curious. A real human being with integrity and thirst and hunger. A human being that strives for excellence and expansion. And so, so much more. The best thing/way to create that outcome is to become that yourself so that others can see your example, and in a way copy, and learn from it. That is how I learned and started this for myself, by observing others. An ideally you become intimate and interactive in this approach. That is when you go deep and it becomes real. In a way its the exact same process as the one that is walked now. People become clones of teachers. That is not bad/wrong, per se, but the question should be asked, what kind of clone, because if the teacher is standing by principle and what is best for all, and you have clones that also live by principle and what is best for all, then that is best, isn't it? Essentially you want to give everyone power to create, which can only occur once you are walking a process of going into yourself, walking your layers, getting to the depths of your being, that which makes you who you are, and literally create yourself from that point. That's when you know it would be real. And hey that would be a pretty cool school project, haha. Remember, children are just like you, they are people. And they have an advantage, they are still young. I would do everything I can to have them take advantage of their advantage, by giving them the tools early, and so having a greater advantage than I had. Its never too early to start building you character. Otherwise, what's the point of even being alive today for this moment? It is to live!
breathoflife92

Post by breathoflife92 »

School in itself isnt programming you, the material used in school is usually objective rather than subjective thus allowing one to create their own perceptions on knowledge. but the programming more is done through forcing one to go to school to learn information that is not practical and will never be used. Teachers can subjective and may promote opinions among students thus programming. also student peer to peer interaction is where most of the programming will be done and students converse at a young age, still not understanding much, and thus program each other into how one 'should' be or how you 'have to be' in the world system. Another point is why schooling is more extensive in elitist societies, and how students and teachers can program each other into becoming systems rather than beings. what do you think?
Anna

Post by Anna »

breathoflife92 wrote:School in itself isnt programming you, the material used in school is usually objective rather than subjective thus allowing one to create their own perceptions on knowledge. but the programming more is done through forcing one to go to school to learn information that is not practical and will never be used. Teachers can subjective and may promote opinions among students thus programming. also student peer to peer interaction is where most of the programming will be done and students converse at a young age, still not understanding much, and thus program each other into how one 'should' be or how you 'have to be' in the world system.
Interestingly, we are being TAUGHT in SCHOOL that the material taught in school is objective - however if you start digging deeper into the design of text books and school material, it is in fact very normative (wanting to impulse a specific world view for example). An example is how history is usually taught in each country with that country being the 'good guy' in wars of the past. So one country will teach its children that they were the "heroes" who won the war while the country they were at war with will teach their children that the other country were "tyrants". Another example is how history is specifically taught from a "eurocentric" perspective in Europe, North America and Australia, where European philosophy and thought is THE philosophy of thought, not at all teaching about the Asian, African or South American philosophers who existed at the same time and also influenced the world tremendously. Even in subjects like biology and math we are taught very limited information which does not at all correlate with what is available around the world. You can Google "Chinese math" to get a glimpse of what I am referring to, where you'll see how the Chinese does math in a totally different way than what we're used to in the west, a way that may or may not be more supportive for learning math.

So - school material does not allow students to create their own knowledge. That is in fact a deception we are taught in school - which is ironic and tragic at the same time. Luckily we live in an age where students CAN teach themselves through using the internet - but it would be cool if we as adults exactly supported them to learn REAL critical skills of discernment.
Another point is why schooling is more extensive in elitist societies, and how students and teachers can program each other into becoming systems rather than beings. what do you think?
Schooling is probably more extensive in elitist societies because people are more generally educated and have resources and therefore could potentially rave havoc in the system if the started rejecting it/changing it/coming up with real solutions, more so than in poor countries where people are more enslaved through survival and poverty and therefore have little to no opportunity to question the system, even if they wanted to.
Tom

Post by Tom »

I think neglecting responsibility for raising your children and sending them to school, where school program is prepared by satanists/pedophiles to specificly enslave your kid is a serious braindead condition and a crimne angainst your child and humanity in whole.
breathoflife92

Post by breathoflife92 »

i like you view on that Anna. if schooling is done in a non objective way, such as saying that one people is greater than another, than yes that is definitely programming children into believeing something they shouldnt. alot of good points made there Anna , awesome
Marlen

Post by Marlen »

Tom wrote:I think neglecting responsibility for raising your children and sending them to school, where school program is prepared by satanists/pedophiles to specificly enslave your kid is a serious braindead condition and a crimne angainst your child and humanity in whole.
I could agree with this considering it is part of the facts, however when considering how it is expressed and where we are right now in the world and this process, if you go to parents that are currently sending their children to schools and tell them these words as you did, I seriously doubt that you'd get any good outcome of it to actually assist them and support them to see the facts and reality behind this statement, while at the same time lead the way to a better outcome.

So here as a form of practice and using the forum as a 'sounding board', you can re-look at your statement to ask yourself 'ok, what is my intent in sharing these bits of information? what solutions do I propose if I am implying that sending children to schools is not a solution? what am I doing myself to assist myself with this situation? - regardless of having children or not

On your statement:
Tom wrote:I think neglecting responsibility for raising your children and sending them to school, where school program is prepared by satanists/pedophiles to specificly enslave your kid is a serious braindead condition and a crimne angainst your child and humanity in whole.
When sharing a comment like this here on the forums - which is the same as having a conversation with another - I suggest to at the same time of placing what your current view on 'the nature of the education system' is, you can take the next level of contribute with or develop your self-awareness and self-responsibility either through walking your own judgments toward 'education system' or 'those that have created it' and reflect back to yourself, to eventually see that it's not just 'these' individuals in the education system that 'are the problem,' it is all of us by virtue of existing as human beings that have accepted and allowed such conditioning in the mind to not assist ourselves to live, but the opposite, and how we are now opening up our eyes/waking up to face the music and so start taking responsibility while also considering solutions.

I agree that some people could look up it's origins to see the kind of intents embedded into it, but from there surely a solution is required. I have walked through having said similar '2 sentence-statements' to people in an attempt to 'open their eyes' and have obviously redundantly failed to do anything of actual support, it takes a lot more than throwing a truth here and there, but it is an actual process where one gets involved into actually understanding 'the problem' as an aspect of oneself and so walking it together with others to 'see through it' toward solutions, or at least pointing out principles and considerations toward a solution = that's more of a self-honesty approach.

So, you could share more on what kind of solutions would you suggest to parents - or yourself - instead of sending children to schools? or what could parents do even if they already have children in school, yet want to ensure they have a supportive education that is not currently 'given' as part of any school's curriculum? etc.

That way one can, yes,express what you've found about its origins and purpose of its creation while at the same time contribute to the conversation here in a way that nurtures it.
Tom

Post by Tom »

Cool assistance Marlen, thanks.

What I can suggest is just homeschooling.I just wanted to point out that raising children is probably of utmost importance. And I think far majority of parents can do better job then schools, just by putting some effort into it.

Return to “Questions and Perspectives on the Mind and Self”