music as drug tv as drug

Ask questions related to your individual process or life in the experience of yourself and mind - pertaining to thoughts, emotions, feelings, behaviours, habits etc. This thread is dedicated to those who'd like to understand more about the inner-workings of your own mind and then effects of this on your life and relationships.
breathoflife92

Re: music as drug tv as drug

Post by breathoflife92 »

Yea
barbara

Post by barbara »

breathoflife92 wrote:Sorry for posting so much but need to correct myself, and I'm going to do it publicly. As I reread my posts, I said I would not react to music or TV. I would of course attempt to stop any reaction that comes up, but saying that I wouldn't react is not true. If a reaction does come up, I would stop and not feed into the reaction. I'm not perfect and you guys know this, I still react, but know not to feed into my reactions.
cool Breathoflife92 - yeah 'perfection' within the point of not reacting - seeing who we are when we are about to react and tracing it back to the source within and as ourselves, as what aspect of ourselves we've separated ourselves from and within, and who we are in relationship to the point - this might seem a long way off till it is totally embraced, quite a process for everyone! Cool you're walking with! Thanks for sharing!
YoganBarrientos

Post by YoganBarrientos »

Hi everyone. So music, has many dimensions. It is very much like words. Words have content and meaning.

Music also has content and meaning. So one person can have one type of experience to a music or word, and another may have a completely different experience.

So who or what determines the experience, or where the experience originates? Myself.

So like how we redefine words, and cleanse/purify the meaning, through stopping our reactions to specific words, the same process applies to music.

So things are reverse in an extreme way. Because whenever you have an emotion or feeling, we should celebrate the fact you are recognizing that you are reacting. It is actually a very good sign to be aware of your emotions and feelings as they occur and are present.

When you take the DIP course, or by reading the desteni material (i suggest course, because its structured) you will know what to do with your emotions and feelings. Otherwise, when you are aware you have an emotion or feeling, that is a good sign. To be aware is an essential first step.

I say all of this because, deleting all of your music, seems like a reaction, made within a belief that this is resolving or sorting out emotions and feelings. The emotions and feelings are not in the music, but within myself. So the whole world can be destroyed, and emotions and feelings will still be within myself.
breathoflife92

Post by breathoflife92 »

Hi, back on the forums after a while of not using them plus a while of process as well :) . Music now, to me as I changed , is just such an amazing way to express and communicate at the same time ,how a being is feeling and living in a way of sound and words, each one, like yogan said, is going to understand a song differently according to their selves at an given time. Imagine a world without music...or more extreme a world without expression and freedom to express through music who you are and what you experience. I've changed from my original judgemental criticism of artists of my original post , not seeing that I was the one judging other people's art as not good enough, not perfect lol, people have freedom of expression and that's what music is all about ...its like an infinite expression that cannot be limited or judged, no matter how any one tries to . Even music or tv, that is suggesting abuse of life, can still be understood and one can find the acceptable and life within those too, even it isn't perfect
breathoflife92

Post by breathoflife92 »

so for the point of music and tv, i say that much of it is brainwashing people. for example music is a lot about promoting sex, but as those who listen to the what is sex and shocking secrets of masturbation, will know that promoting sex isnt a good idea. and for tv , i will confidently say that tv is definitely used to brainwash people, depending on what you are watching. Alot of music and tv will prove to be abusive to life, im confident to say that.
Carlton

Post by Carlton »

Cool
viktor

Post by viktor »

Cool expansion
Marlen

Post by Marlen »

breathoflife92 wrote:so for the point of music and tv, i say that much of it is brainwashing people. for example music is a lot about promoting sex, but as those who listen to the what is sex and shocking secrets of masturbation, will know that promoting sex isnt a good idea. and for tv , i will confidently say that tv is definitely used to brainwash people, depending on what you are watching. Alot of music and tv will prove to be abusive to life, im confident to say that.

Adding here a perspective that I shared in another thread about music that you opened up as well Paul, where sure yes TV and Music are promoting mind habits and relationships that are not beneficial, but always remember that it is not like they are 'systems' in themselves that have an awareness of their own. If anything, such themes in tv and music are popular because there is a demand for it, because that's what sells and it is popular and sells because that's what we allow to occupy our minds most of the time: sex, relationships, money, entertainment - you name it.

So I share this to also see that we can make of anything a 'drug' or an 'addiction' because of the relationship we create in our own minds towards that something/someone. Therefore, have to be careful of not creating an antagonism or opposition to things like ' music and television' but rather understand them - just like the internet is - as the reflection, the amplification and propagation of everything that is in our own minds, of everything that we are valuing 'more than life' that is then re-sold, re-transmitted in the form of tv, music, internet and the rest of things in it.

Therefore to keep in mind that becoming aware of how tv, music promote certain actions that are not self supportive is one thing, the same way as there can be mind control embedded all over it... sure that's part of the 'facts' but what defines the entire relationship that we create to it is who we decide to be when watching or listening to music, it's a matter of seeing whether we give into it as a form of 'addiction' or 'drug' to entertain and numb ourselves instead of spending the time to creating our own lives and principles.

This way one can analyze and look at everything as an externalization of ourselves, of our own minds and so we decide then who we are towards our own minds and so towards everything around us that we have conditioned to exist 'the way it is' and through changing the way one interacts with it = we then define what we accept and allow and what we won't.
That is where real personal choice exists, where no matter what is 'pumped through' or 'pulsed through' the tv, radio, advertisement in the streets, music.... that stuff will continue to be the way it is until a significant amount of people decide to no longer watch/hear/buy into all of that stuff - which btw, it's happening, slowly but surely - yet for now, we can only take responsibility for ourselves and what we 'give into'.

That's where real choice exists right now in each one of us, so it's not about 'the things' or 'others' but entirely about ourselves and walking our own correction in relation to it all, to use it as a form of self-reflection, understanding and so realizing the points to change within oneself, instead of seeing it as some form of 'evil' separate from us, when it is in fact ourselves too.

So let's rather ask ourselves where and how have we been abusing life, starting with our own bodies, through our own minds... we really don't need to go that far to understand the cause of it. Though it's also cool to reflect on these topics to then invariably link them back to self.

Thanks for sharing

Return to “Questions and Perspectives on the Mind and Self”