Cover of "Imagine"

CerisePoolman

Cover of "Imagine"

Post by CerisePoolman »

http://omeleto.com/204308/

Let's plan our own cover here. First thing we'll need is a music track so that everyone is singing in the same key - who is able to provide piano track?

Then, I was thinking that each person records themselves singing the entire song and then all the best parts are added to the final version, and upon release we also release some/all of the original/individual versions.

Some have suggested changing the lyrics. Another option is to add a voice at the end, saying something like "It's not enough to imagine, you and I must each live the change we want to see. Let's make our vision a reality."

Ideas and input welcome.

GO!
Kim S

Re: Cover of "Imagine"

Post by Kim S »

This is pretty cool, I am not a singer that I am aware of, but happy to speak/sing anything to be included - How about we sing a line of the song like - " Imagine no possessions, I wonder if you can" and hold up a card with facts and figures on it about how the elite live in this world etc... So we would have to record a video image and someone would have to splice them together...
YoganBarrientos

Post by YoganBarrientos »

I had an idea/vision of doing an Imagine song some years back using specific pictures/images to convey something different.

So for example, here are the lyrics.

Imagine there's no heaven
It's easy if you try
No hell below us (Originally this probably meant hell as in Christianity. But we can instead show the picture of poverty hell, or war for example )
Above us only sky
Imagine all the people
Living for today...

Imagine there's no countries
It isn't hard to do
Nothing to kill or die for
And no religion too
Imagine all the people
Living life in peace...

You may say I'm a dreamer (I would have a picture that counteracts the sterotype of a dreamer/idealist, and so show something extremely practical, like people who are dressed in their uniforms for work, or pictures of very ordinary folk. )
But I'm not the only one
I hope someday you'll join us
And the world will be as one

Imagine no possessions (Show a picture of a possessed person, like someone getting angry for example)
I wonder if you can
No need for greed or hunger (This one is easy, just show a picture of Poverty, Starving people, and obscene wealth)
A brotherhood of man (then in this photo show the opposite, so people that are healthy, strong, comfortable, maybe even working together on some project)
Imagine all the people
Sharing all the world...
You may say I'm a dreamer

But I'm not the only one
I hope someday you'll join us
And the world will live as one

So this is just a sample of ideas. Another idea I had while writing this out is that we can have destonians act this out on video. So for example for the possessions, someone can act being angry/emotional. And for the hunger, a person can show some food, and smiling.
Matti Freeman

Post by Matti Freeman »

I suggest in terms of doing a group project that we do a straight cover of Imagine, because if we keep it close to the original it will be easier to actually finish the project and get it released, lol.

So in terms of a cover of the song as it is, I can provide a piano track. Once we have a piano track, it can be shared and people can take it and add their own stuff as Cerise suggested and then we can put all the best parts together.

I like Cerise's idea of having a voice at the end come in and give a practical directive message as well.

I am also working on my own version of Imagine which has some more lyrics and different music, so that will also be a project that I will want others to contribute vocals to at some point in the near future.
Pablo Adolfo

Post by Pablo Adolfo »

Cool idea! I can sing so I am in. If needed I can record acoustic guitar tracks (That's the only instrument I can play).
I will be looking forward having the piano track Matti suggests in order to then record the vocal track at the same BPM and Key.
Garbrielle

Post by Garbrielle »

I am in to sing and be part of this project, i agree we should give a clear message at the end (and/or beginning) to share how to walk the world in a new way physically, practically, and definitively with links, so people can investigate and participate if they connect to us. Cool initiative and idea. thanks.
viktor

Post by viktor »

Cool guys,

I can also join in – and imagine sounds like a nice song to do.
CerisePoolman

Post by CerisePoolman »

Cool Pablo, I am wondering if it will be easier for the less-musically trained people to sing against only piano track compared to piano & guitar? Does anyone have any experience in this?
Pablo Adolfo

Post by Pablo Adolfo »

Yeah, definitely. Actually the original song only has a piano. The guitar is only a suggestion in case we want to give the song a little bit of a soft flavor, but the main instrument is the piano.

Well, I see it as it follows:

1. Having the piano track first of all.
2. Then each participant records the vocal tracks using the piano track as a reference in order to sing in the right key and tempo.
3. Finally, we need someone who knows how to edit and mix everything using a recording software such as cubase, protools, etc so we can send him/her the tracks and he/she can have it done. - I have a friend who has a home studio, but that wouldn't be for free.

Those would be the steps I am able to see now and then we can work on visual ideas (video), because we would already have the song so we can then record ourselves doing lip singing. And once having the cover song + the video images we would then need the help of another person who can mix the cover song and the video images and have the whole project done.

We have to go step by step. That would be my suggestion.
sandymac

Post by sandymac »

Very cool initiative. I can contribute-sing.

I have a song I wrote called 'All Men' that I would love to do this one day.
Waiting for a friend of mine-who just got some new equipment-as he will record it for me for free.
I play keyboard as well-some-but see the point of one main track.

Return to “Music for Equality”