Cover of "Imagine"

CerisePoolman

Re: Cover of "Imagine"

Post by CerisePoolman »

https://www.dropbox.com/s/d9bog36qj518l ... 3.mp3?dl=0 - Here is the piano track!

So - we need VIDEO of you singing/speaking the song please :)
Fidelisspies

Post by Fidelisspies »

Hey guys, Before we start this project there are a few things to consider.

If we look at it practically, Having 10 or 15 people recording themselves singing the whole song would be a nightmare to edit all the parts. Not everybody has quality recording devises and not everybody can sing on perfect pitch so we will have to find a way to do this.

Take the piano rack and practice for a few days. We will find a way to make this happen.
Pablo Adolfo

Post by Pablo Adolfo »

Cool to have the piano track! Thanks Matti!

I will practice with the piano track and once I am ready I will record the vocals in a friend's home studio. Guys, should we send you the vocal tracks in a specific format? WAV. MP3, etc.

I have some suggestions:

- The song has 19 lines. What if each participant chooses - or is assigned - a specific line and so we can all sing? I mean, leaving the quality aspect a little aside. We would need 19 participants though. Through this method, Fidelis would only have to place the vocal tracks as a puzzle within the software and so he can create a Frankenstein, line by line. From 1 to 19.

- OR - If we want to make it the best possible, I mean, considering only participants who can have access to a more professional way of doing it - We could requiere about 5 participants only, because the song has 5 parts: 3 verses + 2 Chorus. - Through this way each of the 5 would have to sing his/her part. and the other participants can support the project through lip singing on video. To my view, It doesn't matter if the "real singers" appear on the video, because their contribution would be done through singing, so the other participants can also be part of it.

What do you think?
Anna

Post by Anna »

The way I saw it was done in the cover that Cerise shared, everyone sang the entire song and then parts were cut dividing it between them. I see this being the best way to go. Though it might be more work for the one who has to edit it in the end.

I also wouldn't see it would be cool to add different people lip syncing to other people's singing because it will easily be seen and will be unnatural.

So - what I'd suggest is that those with (at least relatively) good equipment records the song and then whoever edits it (maybe Fidelis?) will make the final decision as to which parts to add from which people - to make the best possible track.

How does that sound?
Fidelisspies

Post by Fidelisspies »

When it comes to doing music its always allot of work no matter how we go about it.

So here is what we will do:

Those who want to sing, record themselves ( vocals only) singing the whole song preferably in mp3 format. Then I will gather all recordings and take the bests parts and add it to the song.

I have no idea if this will work or how it will sound, but we will not know unless we give it a go.

Start singing and recording and then we take it from there.
CerisePoolman

Post by CerisePoolman »

So must each person record a vocal only track and then a video track separately?
Pablo Adolfo

Post by Pablo Adolfo »

I agree with Fidelis. I will try to record my vocal track next week. I will try to record the recording process on video so we can have images for the final project, although I do not have a video camera (I will try to borrow one), that's why I was considering recording it through video later (in case I can't borrow a camera).

Anyways, keep it up. We already have the piano track. Let's now record the vocal tracks and then we will see how we can together create something that will probably even be out of what we expected within our minds.
Matti Freeman

Post by Matti Freeman »

Sorry for my lack of input I was out of town for a few days!

I suggest we finish the song and then each can record video of themselves singing along. Fidelis maybe you can work the vocals in a way where it sounds like there's many more voices singing? That way lots of people could then record video of themselves singing along and it would seem like a much larger chorus of voices? Some ideas..
Matti Freeman

Post by Matti Freeman »

So, there are 3 verses in this song. And there is a chorus that repeats 2 times.

One idea would be to have maybe 3 solid singers be the primary vocalists, where one would sing each verse, and maybe all together for the chorus parts. (maybe there could be more than 3 primary vocalists as well)

Then, once we have a strong primary vocal track together, we could have other people sing backup vocals during the verses and chorus.

We would however want to do some kind of meetup together to work out what the harmonies would actually be, rather than each person just doing it on their own.

We might then also be able to use the 'lo fi' quality or 'not perfect singing' quality of some of the harmonizing vocals to engineer the song to deliberately sound like sound clips are being used -- for example like if you had a song where you added audio clips from a news broadcast or a street recording. So the song would end up having this sound of like, lots of people chiming in / contributing -- but the low quality' would not be a problem because it wouldn't be the 'main vocals'.

Make sense?

What I suggest is to first record the primary vocalists - so that we could have a primary vocal part to record over for harmonies and other stuff.

So Pablo is planning to record himself soon -- let's identify all the other strong, on-pitch singers.

Who is a strong, on-pitch singer?
sandymac

Post by sandymac »

I did an on pitch recording but it is a Audio m4a. Done on an iPad cause my video was not working properly. Is there someway to send a m4a file?

Return to “Music for Equality”