America's poor kids

YoganBarrientos

America's poor kids

Post by YoganBarrientos »

America's poor kids
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1J_ahe9b ... ture=share

Jezza Neumann's documentary America's Poor Kids (BBC2) followed just three of the record 16 million children in the Us now living below the poverty line: 10-year-old Kaylie, whose family is on the brink of homelessness after her mother lost her job; 14-year-old Johnny, who is living in a homeless shelter after his parents' home-improvement business went bust in the wake of the financial crisis; and Sera, a ferociously intelligent and clear-eyed 11-year-old who is living with her mother and sister in a mildewed studio apartment that she says is better than where they were before. "I can go to the bathroom by myself!" At the shelter it's not safe to go without a parent.
Maya

Re: America's poor kids

Post by Maya »

The American Dream of Poverty - Day 356

Today I watched the documentary - America's Poor Kids by the BBC. I was actually satisfied initially with how the documentary was done from the perspective of bringing to the American's awareness the consequences of the so call 'American Dream'. In side me, there was a moment of hope that maybe if they see poverty happening in front of their eyes and not just in third world countries, they would start questioning the system. But as the documentary progressed, I realized that it won't make any difference and especially when the characters they chose to document were those family who were lucky enough to get a house eventually.

So what is the American Dream?
The American Dream is a national ethos of the United States, a set of ideals in which freedom includes the opportunity for prosperity and success, and an upward social mobility achieved through hard work. In the definition of the American Dream by James Truslow Adams in 1931, "life should be better and richer and fuller for everyone, with opportunity for each according to ability or achievement" regardless of social class or circumstances of birth.
The idea of the American Dream is rooted in the United States Declaration of Independence which proclaims that "all men are created equal" and that they are "endowed by their Creator with certain inalienable Rights" including "Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness."
(Source: Wikipidia - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_Dream)

So what went wrong along the way? I mean 82 years has passed and the American Dream of Opportunities and prosperity and success that should have been Equal for everyone is no where to be found unless you are one of those lucky few who where able to either born to money or get access to money but for most part, the Dream remain on a mental state of sleeping rather something that was actually physically manifested.

I mean, would it be Commonsensically to assess the Equation and either do remediation on the parts of the equation that aren't working and align the equation so that the 'Dream' could be physically manifested? In this, the part that was always missing is the part where one is waking up from the dream and start working out an equation that would bring about the physical expression of the dream isn't it?
So now, 82 years has passed and still - we are all asleep, hoping for a better future, hoping that someone would save the day exactly as how things works out in the movies and TV series we almost hypnotically watch which is not far from our own dream - it is all taking place in some virtual reality without any physical grounds.

One of the kids in the 'American's poor kids' repeatedly said that no child should go through what she has gone through and I agree, no child should, no man and woman should, no animal should and yet, it is happening on a day to day basis all over the world and the Poverty epidemic is worsening.

So will we wake up and start questioning why and how the dream didn't come through? A good place to start is the Equal Money System website where the equation is slowly but surely busy forming, an equation that is based on a value that is honourable - the value of Life that is best for all on a physical level.
Maya

Re: America's poor kids

Post by Maya »

The effectiveness of Brainwashing - Day 357

This is a continuation to my previous blog: The American Dream of Poverty - Day 356.

Me and a group of friends were talking today about America, Education and Poverty and one of the friends was sharing that he watched the documentary America's Poor Kids last night and he mentioned that even the poor kids in America have a computer that they are carrying from place to place with them. this was the point that I've realized how effective the brainwashing is within the documentary. I've mentioned this point in my previous blog however, with him saying it, I could see clearly the starting point of those who created the documentary and the effects the documentary would have on the American people.

I must admit, for a moment I fell into the trap when I watched the documentary - since the moment the girl had to let go of her dog because she couldn't take it with her after being evacuated from her home, a surge of tears came into my eyes and I accessed an emotional turmoil. I became angry, frustrated and sad for what these animals and kids have to go through due to our failing world system that is nothing close to the American Dream that was presented 82 years ago.

The moment my friend shared about the poor kids having a computer, was the moment when I connected the 2 points together and I saw that the reason they have chosen to present these specific families was because these families do not have the characteristic that would trigger our inner beast from actually standing up and say: "that's it, till here no further". These families have a roof and space to crash in, they have clothes, they have access to medical care and food and they even have some cool gadgets like a computer. These families, as poor as they are, do not represent the extreme poverty that maybe, just maybe, would trigger enough SHAME within ourselves from which we would actually stand up and start walking towards a substantial change.

Yes, the families presented in the documentary are experiencing great difficulties and struggle - that is a fact. Another fact is that their situation is far better than Millions of other Americans (not to mentioned the third world countries) that are literally on the streets in a day to day threating living conditions. But we won't see it in the media, we won't hear about it and we will make sure that we don't know about it because otherwise, OMG, we might actually have to step out of our comfort zone and take responsibility for what we as humanity have accepted and allowed to exists in this world.

So - it is time to develop Critical reasoning skills to not eat what the media is feeding us but instead, to question and investigate what is the real starting point, what is the actual problem and how it can be practically solved from its root core into a best for all solution.

Return to “Documentary Discussions”