Nightmares

Ask questions and place perspectives on dreams here
Emmi

Nightmares

Post by Emmi »

I would like to hear some perspectives on nightmares. I have been experiencing a lot of these recently after a long period of no dreams at all. In my nightmare experiences most prominent is the feeling of anxiety, terror, suffocation, confusion, being lost - and I'm wondering why it's always the same thing with nightmares, why the experience of nightmares is always the same even though the dream itself changes every time and why it's been the same for my entire life. Also, why do I experience nightmares only within certain intense time periods, sometimes even in cycles of years? What does the fact that I'm having nightmares tell me about myself? I used to have a lot of nightmares as a child, also as a teenager. As an adult I've also occasionally experienced sleep paralysis.

To give an example, lately my dreams have been filled with demons (a completely new dream element for me) and me being shot to death with a gun. I have been able to connect single dreams to certain events and issues in my life, but I can't see why this has suddenly become a "period of time" where I see a lot of nightmares. I don't believe it's stress related, either, as my stress levels have been dropping as I've been working through my stress- and work-related points.
Kim S

Re: Nightmares

Post by Kim S »

Hi Emmi

Have you been writing a lot about fears and anxiety lately? I find when I have been working a specific point if I don't completely cover it at get to the real nitty gritty of it I may have a nightmare type dream about it and then within that I am able to look to see what I am not covering in my writing and often it is because I haven't gone in deep enough and been specific enough. Nightmares are usually fear related. Remember that everyone in the dream represents an aspect of you as a point to be looked at. I had a nightmare about dogs chasing me and I was running and terrified that they would get me. When I opened up the point in my waking life I saw that I was still afraid of being punished by GOD...( DOG backwards) I had confused it and mixed it up in my mind like some kind of code but I knew that this was what it was because I was writing at that time about my fear of letting go of a false god image. See the context here?

Anyway I hope that this helps.

Kim
Kim S

Post by Kim S »

That should say walking a specific point...not working!
Maya

Post by Maya »

Hi Emmi -

We will make EQAFE/YouTube Interview to explain the point.
Emmi

Post by Emmi »

Kim S wrote:Have you been writing a lot about fears and anxiety lately? I find when I have been working a specific point if I don't completely cover it at get to the real nitty gritty of it I may have a nightmare type dream about it and then within that I am able to look to see what I am not covering in my writing and often it is because I haven't gone in deep enough and been specific enough. Nightmares are usually fear related. Remember that everyone in the dream represents an aspect of you as a point to be looked at.
Thanks Kim, this provided some perspective. I'm for example quite fascinated about the gunshot element because guns are very alien to me, and to think it represents an aspect of myself is interesting to look at.
Maya wrote:Hi Emmi -

We will make EQAFE/YouTube Interview to explain the point.
Awesome! I'm looking forward to it.
Kim S

Post by Kim S »

Cool Emmi... and looking forward to the interview also.
Emmi

Post by Emmi »

Actually, I now looked into the gun element and what I found was quite interesting. To me guns are a foreign thing and I have never handled a real one. My father had a special permission to hold a gun in our house, and when I was a child this was accidentally revealed to me once. I'm not sure if my siblings ever knew about this. He taught me that guns are very dangerous and have to be handled with care. I learned to be afraid of guns because they could just accidentally come off and kill.

So what I realized as I looked at these dreams is that a gun represents the potential to do mistakes that cannot be mended - if you pull the trigger, that's it, you can't run and catch the bullet, once you've pulled the trigger you're done and there's no way to undo the action. In a similar way I fear making mistakes because I fear they will have consequences that cannot be undone. This is because I have not fully realized how mistakes and the resulting conflicts are best handled and how solutions are brought about in such situations. Thus I fear taking risks in some areas - I have fired so many bullets already I don't want to cause any more undoable damage - and this is where I miss the fact that I am able to mend even my past mistakes - that they were no bullets in the first place.

What is also interesting is the fact that in these nightmares I get shot, not others - I realize the damage is done onto myself.
Kim S

Post by Kim S »

Emmi - cool realisations - Dreams are so revealiving look forward to reading any blogs that you write about it.
Anna

Post by Anna »

Wow yes - very cool realizations Emmi. Thanks for sharing.
KellyPosey

Post by KellyPosey »

Cool Emmi. Quite fascinating what we uncover when we investigate dreams as ourselves, and how they reflect the relationships that exist within us. Thanks for sharing.

Return to “Dream Discussions”