Underpaid worker

Ask questions to Destonians walking the Process

Underpaid worker

Postby Jin Kazama » 12 Feb 2013, 02:01

Hi,

I am an underpaid worker and my boss still owes me my last wage which he hasn't paid in quite a while. I took a break from work for study leave which he wasn't too happy about. I have not returned to work since because I get treated like rubbish and shouted at and at times verbally abused. :(

I am unsure as to what to do. He does not return my calls.

Any advice?

Jin
Jin Kazama

Re: Underpaid worker

Postby Jin Kazama » 12 Feb 2013, 02:04

I actually only realised afterwards that this is a topic related to EMS which I have only recently come to know about so I decided to post.
Jin Kazama

Postby Marlen » 12 Feb 2013, 04:01

Hi Jin

First point is self responsibility, if you dropped the job without saying anything to your boss and there was no arrangement with regards to payment, then you would have to confront him in person and ask for it or clarify the situation.

If the situation is too abusive, then you would have to go to your local authorities so that they can support you to assess the case - within this, you have to consider your responsibility, your contract and realizing that you must know the conditions for payment, meaning if somehow you decided to take off without a say and your contract stipulates that you only get paid if you work the entire month/ term, then he will be in his right to not pay you, otherwise you'll have to come to an agreement with him directly or through another intermediary like an authority you can consult.

EMS' forum is here: http://equalmoney.org/forum/
Marlen

Postby Juan Pablo » 12 Feb 2013, 13:26

Thanks for the support Marlen -- I totally agree with the perspective and suggestion.
Juan Pablo

Postby maya rote » 12 Feb 2013, 18:24

hey Jin
i agree with marlen, and even though it may be hard to confront him, talking to him, explaining what had happened and asking for your last payment -that may be the most direct and "easy" way to go about it. some employers assume you will not ask for the money and so they don't pay it - in israel it's called the "success system", where if they succeed to screw someone over because the person just lets them - then they simply go ahead and do so, and if they are called on it then they pay.

also, as far as i know, each country has different laws regarding employee rights, in israel there is a support line you can call to receive support in knowing / understanding your rights and how to go about it - so, you must find out what is your local law, and what is the support system, if there is any, to help out employees.
maya rote

Postby Jin Kazama » 17 Feb 2013, 20:44

He has now said that he will pay me next week. Lets see if he pays me and if he pays me in full.
Jin Kazama

Postby Marlen » 17 Feb 2013, 21:48

Cool
Marlen

Postby Juan Pablo » 17 Feb 2013, 22:26

Cool
Juan Pablo

Postby maya rote » 19 Feb 2013, 17:31

cool you spoke with him,