My process with schizophrenia, a struggle with medicine side effects

Share and ask your moments and experiences in random, unpredictable, sudden moments that happened to you - you'd like to understand. Whether it be during a discussion with someone and not understanding why certain thoughts / behaviours came up in you or another. Not understanding another's facial expression or even your own when looking in the mirror etc. So, this thread is dedicated to the everyday life moments we WONDER about but never ask.
Nicklk1795

My process with schizophrenia, a struggle with medicine side effects

Postby Nicklk1795 » 25 May 2015, 17:05

Hello. It's been probably since July of last year since I've been active in the desteni group, but as some of the members know that I have been dealing with schizophrenia and have been in and out of institutions about 8 times since then. So the good news is that my symptoms have been pretty much flat lined for the majority of the time since January ever since I was put on seroquel. It was very difficult before hand where I would have sort of these psychotic experiences, and would get allot of anxiety and had to really focus on physical experiences with music or with other things to slow down the mental experiences. So all in all I've been doing mentally fine, but haven't really been active with writing, and have been more doing music and hanging out with my girlfriend allot and expanding with those relationships.

Now there's been a new struggle that I've been dealing with, which is the insane amount of weight I put on due to these meds. Before I had a young and healthy metabolism that would usually just allow me to eat normally and keep myself fairly lean and healthy, but now I'm 60 lbs heavier (210 lbs) and have high cholesterol problems, and high blood pressure, and just all in all the inconvenience of being overweight/fat. It doesn't really effect me with how I perceive myself, but I have been trying to lose the weight, but have been having a very difficult time with sticking to a calorie deficit/diet since these meds just increase my hunger.

I would like to ask if there's ways to reprogram the mind to be able to handle these health regiments to lose weight, to where one can prevent themselves from falling off track and remain consistent with their diet. Now I still eat foods I enjoy, but at the same time eat healthy and filling foods, but just all in all my will power still needs to be worked on allot with being able to remain consistent and being able to deal with hunger through the process of losing this weight I gained. Now I don't just focus all of my energy on losing weight, but my doctor says it's really a serious problem that I'm facing and need to continue losing the weight.

Is there anyone on this forum that has been through gaining weight on medicines, or has been through the struggle of losing weight. And also would writing and blogging be a good idea to help myself in the process of losing weight and improving my physical health, while being able to stay on my antipsychotics.

Thank you, cheers !

christine

Re: My process with schizophrenia, a struggle with medicine side effects

Postby christine » 26 May 2015, 19:59

Hi Nick,

Yes, it seems like this medication is having an effect on you physically. So, would be cool to see your blogs and investigation. Thanks for sharing!

Michelle

Postby Michelle » 27 May 2015, 10:29

Hi Nick,-
Is there anyone on this forum that has been through gaining weight on medicines, or has been through the struggle of losing weight. And also would writing and blogging be a good idea to help myself in the process of losing weight and improving my physical health, while being able to stay on my antipsychotics.
From what I read in your message you are still on medication, so what I suggest to limit it I were you: Processed foods and sugar because there are numerous studies that these foods are a factor to high cholesterol/weight gain. Look into a clean/whole foods diet -- eating foods in their whole state (not like eating raw, like raw chicken, but a cooked chicken for example) or foods with 1-5 ingredients in them. I know you said you eat foods you enjoy and are healthy, but some of these foods may have hidden ingredients/chemicals/preservatives which may also screw around with your hormones. So give those a look.

Also practice listening to your body with what it needs and craves. Observe how it reacts/responds to certain foods after you eat it -- whether you become bloated, have a lot of gas, - signs this food may not be best for your body. Make sure you incorporate daily exercise -- even a 30 minute walk should be sufficient.

I highly recommend you start writing, because I've found myself to be more stable when it comes to my relationship around food, and I have been better at making choices to what is supportive for my body than what my ''mind craves.'' Writing will also stabilize you with your schizophrenia. Tormod on the forum has been stabilizing himself through his schizophrenia with consistent writing.

SunetteSpies

Postby SunetteSpies » 01 Jun 2015, 16:23

Hi Nick

To consider when it comes to such experiences with schizophrenia is that the effects of such ‘programs’ of consciousness does not only extend into the mind, but also into the body – which is why, for example, when facing schizophrenia: it’s important to have the support for the body and the mind to be able to support you to in the meantime have a stable as possible inner reality and in so doing - working with what you’re facing most effectively.

Schizophrenia is essentially when personalities of your mind / consciousness starts embodying itself into behaviour all at the same time, so you have for example 2 / 3 different personalities trying to ‘live themselves out’ in the body at the same time causing much inner conflict. Whereas with most people in this world, the personality systems of their mind / consciousness are more ‘controlled’ in the sense that one personality at a time will activate that they will then embody and then live out dependent on where they are / with who they are.

So, the medicinal supports stabilises the personalities in you and the body and so gives you that ‘inner space’ within yourself to stabilise and see your mind / personalities and so the thoughts and emotions more clearly, rather than them being busy / all over the place inside you at the same time.
Therefore, what I would suggest working with is not judging the medications – rather embrace them as a support for yourself, because you are seeing that they are stabilising you. So essentially, with the medications, they are supporting the stabilising of the personalities inside yourself and so you can be equally as ‘stable’ as most people in this world and this also gives you the ‘space’ within yourself to deal with everyday thoughts and emotions.

Thus, if I were you – I would simply realise that the medications are giving you that stability you need to be able to walk your process in understanding your mind and how to direct it most effectively. Therefore, all I’d do is take it day by day – like everyone else walking process really, identify the major thought / reactions patterns you’re dealing with and incorporate the process of writing, forgiveness and self change into everyday life.

Obviously, yes – with medications comes consequences, but physical consequence you can more ‘easily’ correct and support than for example the inner consequence of the mind / consequence that can spiral out of control without the support of the medications. So, take care of the body – support it, really look at implementing a diet of foods / nutrition that will rev up the health of the body, for example research what foods support the heart, organs function, blood flow and look at exercise of course.
Also to consider is that sometimes medications bring out ‘dormant’ problems that’s actually always been there in the body – for example you’ve been struggling with blood pressure / cholesterol that could have already to some degree been there, but with the medications you’re taking, they started flaring up even more. Therefore, I would suggest ‘listening to your body’ see what’s going on inside of it and what you can do to support it through foods and exercise. I mean, I’d even suggest looking at what exercises specifically will cater to supporting the body cause some exercise regimes are calculated and planned to support the body in specific ways.

Overall Nick, I’d say you have an awesome opportunity here to walk a change in your overall mental and physical health with the support of the medications you’re on now – so, look at these dimensions of not reacting to the medications, but realise the support they’re giving, walk the process of understanding your thoughts and emotions as the inner support and then research exercise and nutrition for the physical support.

tormod

Postby tormod » 04 Jun 2015, 20:03

Hi Nick

I just want to provide you with some links to my blogs (They are also on the forum under my name)

I also use exercise everyday (!) a walk to the park or rather gym/swimming.

- to heal my addiction to energies/possession/psychosis.

Also try avoid processed food/white food/white rice/white sugar/white flour.

https://tormodhvgj.wordpress.com/

https://theendofpsychiatry.wordpress.com/

Here is a link to my facebook page : please add me if you like and are on facebook.

https://www.facebook.com/tormod.hvidstengjedrem

Thank for sharing - see you around !

Nicklk1795

Postby Nicklk1795 » 05 Jun 2015, 00:41

Thank you for your response, Michele, sunnete tormod. I have been walking for one hour and 30 minutes every early morning, and currently I eat lean meats, cheese, potatoes, veggies and fruits. I do intermittent fasting which helps me to restrict my calories and helps me be in a deficit so I can lose weight. I probably should start buying organics so that I don't have the processed aspect in my nutrition.

Sunnete I completely understand what you're saying, as I actually discovered that I had schizophrenia through writing, and also from being diagnosed in multiple mental hospitals. The thing with writing is, is that I drove myself insane with writing. When I felt vulnerable to my mental state, I was in high states of fear, and wrote as much as I could, but I got to a point of going into a manic depressive state that I eventually had to stop myself from writing to at least get back to being able to feel content. I guess I just over stressed myself so much with it and trying to control every little aspect of my mind. Once I stopped writing I started feeling more sane over time, and eventually once I started taking seroquel, allot of the junk and mental turmoil was eradicated, or maybe suppressed, and I've actually just been in a chill state of mind, with alittle bit of symptoms here and there, so I've been enjoying my well being.

I'll start writing again though, and probably will focus on things I want to improve on like my mental relationship with food and my health, also my physical appearance since I gained weight, and with my relationship with my girlfriend and family. It will be good to have some direction for a change, but if I start getting to overwhelmed then I'll know when to step back and give myself a break, because I honestly for some reason get over obsessed with anything I do, which actually allot of that obsessive personality has subsided due to the medicines, but I still want to be careful.

Marlen

Postby Marlen » 05 Jun 2015, 02:50

Cool to read you are doing better, Nick

In terms of getting worse through writing... a perspective is that one can in fact add up and create more 'turmoil' when writing without determining a clear solution to the points we right out and actually focusing on applying them in physical reality. By writing things in itself we don't get to sort things out, we have to actually apply what we see/realize through writing in real time, therefore that's a perspective I suggest you consider in terms of going back to writing and as you say: focusing on the practical solutions, the decisions you make to change, your body and mental support points and so make of it an 'aid' to your physical reality, instead of making of writing ' your physical reality'

Keeping things simple is what I suggest for you, come and share with us how this new way of approaching writing goes :)

Thanks for sharing with us

Nicklk1795

Postby Nicklk1795 » 05 Jun 2015, 03:12

Will do marlen, it's great hearing from you as well :)

viktor

Postby viktor » 10 Jun 2015, 11:28

Hi Nick,

As Marlen explained, when writing without taking the point to a conclusion, what happens is that you open up a lot of points that then roam around inside your mind/body, and build/accumulate. That is why I would suggest that when you write, take 1 point, and walk that point to a final conclusion – a corrective action that you're going to live in your physical reality. Another thing to remember is to not use the tools of writing, self-forgiveness and self-corrective statements from within and as a starting point of emotion – thus before engaging in writing – sit down and breathe – and make sure that you're here in your physical body – able to open up the point your facing from a clear starting point.

Return to “Questions and Perspectives about Everyday Life Moments”