Spoon Bending metaphor The Matrix

Ask questions related to Desteni Articles and Videos
Arizona

Spoon Bending metaphor The Matrix

Postby Arizona » 17 Feb 2017, 13:49

I think I can put an accurate perspective on this without googling the metaphor for something that suits me that has already been written ..
This post is for fun, because I think it's one of the brain teasers worth looking at.

"Do not try and bend the spoon. That's impossible, instead only try to realize the truth."

The way I've seen this is: For most the spoon represents other people, and these people will only bend if you yourself bend. It's simple until you think about it a little bit more. Where does the line between changing physical aspects of our reality clash with the people around us? This is something that can be answered on an individual basis.

I could take this a little deeper, infusing it with equal to life realizations, but I don't feel I have the elegance to do that in a written format.
Something worth repeating though: It's not about trying to help the people around you. It's about bringing out the best in you to bring out the best in the world, i.e. something akin to paradise.

joe kou

Re: Spoon Bending metaphor The Matrix

Postby joe kou » 17 Feb 2017, 19:41

To really do this contemplation justice, we must here quote the full line from the movie.

Spoon Boy: "Do not try and bend the spoon. That's impossible. Instead only try to realize the truth"

Neo: "What truth?"

Spoon Boy: "There is no spoon. Then you'll see that it is not the spoon that bends, it is only yourself."

This is something that I have reflected deeply upon for many years. As an avid and some may say fanatic watcher of the Matrix trilogy it has not yet ceased to amaze me how much more I see and realize whenever I ponder this brief exchange between Neo and one of the "Potential Chosen Ones".
My take on this has changed and deepened over the years as I walk my process but I will share some of my favorite insights.

The "Spoon" to me is the holographic nature of our reality and existence - wherein that which we accept and allow within and as ourselves is manifested, projected, and holographically reproduced in the external world that we share and experience. Meaning - the "Spoon" is all of the things that we in many ways blindly accept without question as being our reality or being the truth of who and what we are.

When the boy says "there is no spoon" - I think of all the myriad things we accept and allow ourselves to believe as though they were real. Things like jealousy, hatred, love. We experience them. We feel them. We exist as them. But they are NOT in fact real. They are as illusory and fake as the spoon in that boy's hand. One can warp these experiences, change them, even dismiss them entirely by simply changing who we are in relation to them.

A game I would play with myself now and then is whenever I am faced with something that I think I cannot change - something that just seems so real and absolute like when I am angry at someone, or when I really want to go into a particular emotion or feeling, or when I really really want to react towards someone in a particular way, or when I really want to go and sulk in a corner when I'm having a rough time with something - I tell myself "There is no spoon" and then just like Neo instead of trying to deal with whatever I think is so real and unchangeable, I bring my focus and attention back to MYSELF and change who I am - and presto the experience I was having isn't so real anymore.

Another interesting thing that saw in this scene was how it relates to the interconnectedness of all things. So many times we try to blame the system, or fight the corruption, or riot against the government, or wage war upon our enemies - all of this is only possible from a mentality of separation and accepting the illusion that what we see in others exists within ourselves. The "spoon" here would be all of the things we externalize and blame and point our finger to instead of realizing how we ourselves are part of the creation of everything that is here, one and equal. It is like we go around saying "Why am I waging war upon other people even though we are one and equal? Because spoon!"

This of course applies to self as well - whenever we want to blame our mind for making us feel a certain way, we are accepting the spoon - the lie - that we are somehow separate from what we participate in within our own minds. Yes the thoughts come in an automated way but we are the ones that constantly accept and allow it. Here we play the game of "Why do I allow myself to talk nasty shit about other people inside my own head even though I know it is nasty and spiteful and would never dare to say in the open what I say within my secret self? Because spoon!"

Indeed - there is no spoon. It is never the spoon that bends but only ourselves.

Now - if you REALLY want to go deep and explore the holographic nature of existence you can hear it from Jack in this series at Eqafe - Heart of Matter - Depths of Space and Matter

Return to “Desteni-Material Questions and Perspectives”