My life as a psychiatric patient

Myriam

My life as a psychiatric patient

Post by Myriam »

Hello everyone and thank you for reading my post.

My name is Myriam, I am 31 years old and I live in Canada. I am currently doing the DIP Lite course, presently at the Identifying Feelings section. I am seeking for support from individuals who have lived similar life experiences as me or are knowledgeable about some of the topics I will post here. I have not read all of the subjects on the forum so I apologize if these points have been covered before.

As my post's subject states, I define myself as a psychiatric patient. Between the age of 18 and 30, I have been hospitalized for psychiatric reasons around 15 times, of which at least 5 times were court ordered, so against my will. My hospital stays range between 3 weeks and 5 months for the longest one.

I was diagnosed bipolar at around 20 years old. I have received electroshock therapy 4 times to get me out of a depression and have been on various prescription drugs, including lithium, Zyprexa and Seroquel. Right now I take valproic acid and Abilify daily and I receive an intra muscular injection of Invega Sustena (an anti psychotic) every 6 weeks.

Personally I don't believe in the chemical imbalance theory most psychiatrists swear by, which basically says that the only way to deal with mental issues is classical psychiatry, which mean with medication. In my perspectve, prescription drugs act like a Band Aid that cover up some deep psychological issues in the subconscient. I also think psychiatry is just a huge money making business to control society.

I think that what my goal is by posting some of my personal information on this forum is to get insight on how I should talk to my psychiatrist so that I could convince him to let me live drug free. I know I have a lot of work to do on myself to become a better person, which I intend to do with Destini, I just don't want to live the rest of my life on meds.

Leila

Re: My life as a psychiatric patient

Post by Leila »

Hey Myriam,
I think that what my goal is by posting some of my personal information on this forum is to get insight on how I should talk to my psychiatrist so that I could convince him to let me live drug free. I know I have a lot of work to do on myself to become a better person, which I intend to do with Destini, I just don't want to live the rest of my life on meds.
Considering that you already have quite a substantial mental health history -- I don't think that trying to 'convince' your psychiatrist with information to let you have a drug free treatment is the way to go.
Rather, I would stick to the treatment / drugs given to me and not try and 'fight' it, as your resistance to treatment is more likely to be met with resistance from your team / psychiatrist in 'losening up' your drug treatment, as your resistance can be interpreted to be part of the 'problem' they are trying to treat. Instead of trying to convince your doctor with information, I suggest you take the approach of convincing them by walking as example. I would take the approach of committing myself to a process of change (here you can look at walking the Journey to Life), work on myself and my points, show that I can change who I am and be a walking example of stability in fact. When you are living proof of stability, you are more likely to be taken off of drugs, as you are showing that you can direct yourself and do not require drugs as a bridge of support. Obviously, this is going to be a process which will require dedication and perseverance and you might not immediately get the results that will convince your psychiatrist that you are mentally stable enough to be taken off of drugs. In a way, this is a cool feedback system as you will have to really walk and talk change and stand the test of time to show yourself and others that you have changed. In the end it is not so much about your doctor giving you permission to live drug free, as it is about you gifting yourself with self-change that will allow you to live a drug free life.

Marlen

Post by Marlen »

Hi Myriam, welcome to the forum

Desteni's tools of self support are not meant to be a substitute for psychiatric support, as Leila has mentioned, it is a point of support that you give to yourself in a parallel mode, which means doing the Desteni process with the purpose of getting off of medication is certainly not the way to approach the point of support one can give to oneself through walking the Desteni Process.

Here I suggest you realize that due to the record of medical history in relation to medication, it might be quite difficult to entirely live off drugs right away and only a process wherein you demonstrate through living application your ability to become more mentally and physically stable, can your doctors assess how to diminish the quantity of medication you are taking at the moment. Therefore it is also to realize that at Desteni we encourage each individual to always refer to professional psychological or psychiatric support when their particular condition is requiring so, meaning where only writing, applying self forgiveness, living the corrections is not sufficient to keep yourself stable and in your case is then coming from an already existent medical treatment where you can take on these tools as an aid to learn how to become more self directive and stable in your day to day living.

So, if you want to support using/applying the Desteni tools of self-support as an extra support along with your medical treatment at the moment, it is ok - yet, be careful also of wanting to use the Desteni Process as a way to 'get off drugs' which is something that only the professionals taking care of you can decide upon at the moment.

Therefore, be aware that we in no way promote getting rid of your current professional medical assistance, we only provide assistance and support with the application of the tools shared here and that is it. So, please stick to the indications you have been given from your doctors and you are more than welcome to walk and share your extra support through the tools provided here and through the Desteni Lite Process, which is a cool way to begin working with the basics to assist yourself along with your ongoing medical treatment.

Welcome and here are the Forum Guidelines to become aware of the rules and basics to post here, as well as learning how to research on what has been already share on the topics you're interested in.

Thanks

tormod

Post by tormod »

Hi Myriam.

Welcome to desteni and the forum. Great to have you here!

Writing in itself is a truefound cognitive skill. And self forgivenes and self corrections are precious tools. Use them. We as humans are only programmable by words and sound frequenzies. Write and saying to self - self forgiveness and self - corrections is important. As you might know memories and us self, growing up is a huge topic that me myself is investigating. I have as you experiences with being in psycriatic “care” – the industry of mental health is a huge and complex topic. You have som very good advises here from Leila and Marlen, about stabilizing self in relationto taking drugs. I know that struggle and I have suffered in despair a lot from wanting to be drugs free, but facing the grimm reality of beeing “to fragile”. I write a blog where I include much of that. Schizophrenics journey to life. : http://tormodworks.blogspot.no/ I suggest just to write out everything that is on youre mind. I have cried in despair of how hard it is to for instance look through memories from my child hood. Truth is not pretty.
I suggest to start reading havens journey to life. Link here : http://www.networkedblogs.com/blog/heav ... ey-to-life

And perhaps creations journey to life.
http://creationsjourneytolife.blogspot.com/
A tips of advice is to read loud, while breathing constant, as awareness.

Equality store for self perfectioning is definetly worth a over view, there is a lot of free samples products for download: https://eqafe.com/
And if you are on facebook please hook up with the desteni pages there. There are several different.

Enjoy the links – tormod

Rebecca Dalmas

Post by Rebecca Dalmas »

Cool posts and welcome Myriam.
Just a thought. THe bandaids are keeping Pandora's box contained, so walk and get this box into order and then the bandaids can gently be taken off.

kim amourette

Post by kim amourette »

Very cool support here!

And Hi and Welcome to the forum Myriam!

Cheers, Kim

Kristina

Post by Kristina »

Welcome Myriam - cool to have you here and very cool support/suggestions you have by others to start your self-support process and change.

sylvia

Post by sylvia »

Welcome to the forum Myriam! And really cool that you took the step into Dip-lite, which is in fact a cool first step in a process to gain your responsibility back, that way you will in time direct your own life in an effective way.

You can start sharing your writings here and use the assistance and support that is given on this forum to move forward.

See you around!

sandymac

Post by sandymac »

Hi Myrium

You have received lots of cool support here. I will just add, I had experienced mental illness (I never told anyone) and medicated myself with alcohol and sleeping pills, for a period of about 10-12 years. I quit drinking 9 years ago, with help of a 12 step program but continued the sleeping pills. Through my Desteni participation -over a 2 year period of extensive reading and then DIP/blogging/vlogging/supportive chats with other Destonians -I was able to let go of the sleeping pill addiction as well! You can read my JTL blogs about this here:

Day 49: Can You Break a Sleeping Pill Addiction? http://sandysjourneytolife.wordpress.co ... addiction/

Day 50: How Do You Overcome the Allure of Sleeping Pills? http://sandysjourneytolife.wordpress.co ... tatements/

As well, starting at day 41, I face my alcoholism and use self-forgiveness and a corrective application to let go of the many emotions that plagued me after I quit drinking. Cool, hope this is assisting.

Myriam

Post by Myriam »

Thank you everyone for your comments and support.

Return to “Introduce Yourself”