Dogs :)

CarolineFranks

Dogs :)

Post by CarolineFranks »

Hi All :)

Has anybody read or heard on Desteni about how dogs feel about being desexed?
I asked as we have new dog and I want to do the right thing by her :)

Thx for any comments you might have :)
Caroline.

Anna

Re: Dogs :)

Post by Anna »

Hey Caroline.

We have neutered our two cats for their sake and for ours. The starting-point of doing it is not so much about looking at how the dog feels about it, because probably most animals (including humans) would prefer having their sexual organs intact and be able to bear children if they were able to chose freely. But with pets we are in a situation where they are dependent on us and we are their guardians. As such we have to make the decisions that we see are best for them and for us. Sometimes my cats wants to go out late at night, but if I foresee that it's going to start raining or get very cold, I don't let them out. They might not be satisfied with that, but it's for the best. They aren't capable of knowing that it will be raining in 4 hours so therefore it is up to me to make that decision for them.

With neutering a dog, I suggest looking at what the purpose is. If its a male dog the neutering prevents them from marking and can prevent fights with other male dogs. If it's a female dog the neutering obviously prevents her from bearing children, which in a world that is overrun with unwanted dogs, might be a good idea. Neutering the female also assists with decreasing the 'heat' which is more safe for her and for you.

CarolineFranks

Post by CarolineFranks »

Thank you very much Anna, I feel much better about doing it now :)

Carrie

Post by Carrie »

Really cool support here. Thanks Anna!

Matti Freeman

Post by Matti Freeman »

Such practical points can support in showing how we project how we have defined ourselves through emotions / feelings, onto animals - where there is a morality point that comes in where you'll want to do what is 'right' / 'moral' -- but where that morality is defined as 'what makes someone / something feel good or bad' -- when in common sense, what is 'moral' -- is to do what is best for all / what is practical -- and within that, how we 'feel' about it - that is a point of self responsibility / self honesty to investigate that feeling or emotion and see what judgments / fears / self definitions / beliefs are being projected onto the point through your mind - which is where self forgiveness and self corrective statements and application would then be applied in assisting and supporting yourself to change your relationship to what is here, from that of energy based decisions, to practical decisions based on common sense / what is best for all

CarolineFranks

Post by CarolineFranks »

Thank you Matti.
Every time I read what you wrote the more it makes sence, and can be used in so many other parts in my life :)

sylvia

Post by sylvia »

Cool support!

I've also neutered my cats, we had 2 males and 1 female and the female was always chased by the other house mates. So as soon as they could be neutered we did it to get some peace back for all that were living in the house.

I remember a discussion about this on the old forum where way back Bernard placed the following comment in April 2007:
we spay and neuter all the cats on the farm -- then we add more from the animal shelter--got 5 kittens yesterday -- the cat team is growing -- many more at the shelter

we do the same with the dogs

and I recommend the same for those that do not want children

146 million orphans is proof that we are incapable of existing as parents

CarolineFranks

Post by CarolineFranks »

Thank you very much Sylvia for sharing that :)
The vet has suggested 2 months after her first heat would be the best time.

Cx

CerisePoolman

Post by CerisePoolman »

There are far too many orphaned and unwanted animals, and animals going to homes in which they are mistreated. Best to not contribute to this by allowing the creation of more animals

Return to “Questions and General Discussion about Animals”