Helping someone close to recovery

Share questions, perspectives and relevant material about Body Support here
Arizona

Helping someone close to recovery

Post by Arizona »

So i'm facing a heavy point right now of somebody close to me not understanding how rest works in terms of recovery, won't stop smoking and heavy caffeine, and unhealthy food/drink consumption(physical exertion as well) making the recovery process this loop of their body telling them "Hey let me rest a while". I can think of a few ways of get this across without much friction I just need to commit to doing it and realize that it's important to do it because it just keeps looping for them and at some point i'm responsible for not trying these couple ways I know for recovery.

tormod

Re: Helping someone close to recovery

Post by tormod »

Hey Arizona

With giving support there is only so much you can do. If we overdo it - we turn into a savior complex, and that is not supportive. Where we start to think "I must save this other person". You can only do so much. You can share with the person your suggestions and tips, but there comes a time where you have to back down, and let "nature" play itself out. It sound like you have given your recommendation to this person. Let time show itself.

Michelle

Re: Helping someone close to recovery

Post by Michelle »

Hi Arizona,

Like what Tormod said, there is only so much you can do, and it seems like you did your best. I know it's difficult seeing someone close to you may not listen to you or take their health seriously. I have that with my father - who despite being overweight and in need of recovering from a stroke, is not taking his healing process seriously. And yet, when I would suggest tips and my suggestions, he would not listen to me, due to what I think is old family patterns of the parent not needing to take advice from his own child, that the child doesn't know any better, etc.

It's definitely a difficult situation. My only suggestion is for you to take care of yourself, and be honest in that, if you know you did your best in sharing information to support your loved one, and despite it, they are not listening to you, you did what you could and you can let it go, and focus on you. Your health and process are important.

Return to “Body Support”