Foods you miss the most, tastes you remember but will never have again - what can we learn from this? - 07 March 2018

Marlen

Foods you miss the most, tastes you remember but will never have again - what can we learn from this? - 07 March 2018

Postby Marlen » 08 Mar 2018, 01:08

sunettedimensions set the channel topic: Foods you miss the most, tastes you remember but will never have again - what can we learn from these memories? We start 5 after the hour
[12:57 PM]
joekou interesting
lol
i recently started a list of food cravings i had for the snacks i used to get when i was living in the US
[12:59 PM]
sunettedimensions lol
[1:01 PM]
valentin.rozman Hi all :slightly_smiling_face:
[1:02 PM]
carlton Hello
[1:04 PM]
dan Hi all
[1:05 PM]
sunettedimensions set the channel topic: Foods you miss the most, tastes you remember but will never have again - what can we learn from these memories? WE START
dan What about the ol 'never say never' axiom
sunettedimensions Alrighty, so let's first share - looking back, what foods do you miss the most and/or tastes you experienced you know you won't ever be able to experience - but the memories are so fresh, lol it feels like you can still taste it just remembering it!
For me, when I was younger living in Cape Town - my grandmother used to make a Mussel Pot, Mussels we'd collect from the ocean and prepare that very same day - the taste and experience of her mussels, especially because it was home made sauce as well, she had the ingredients and preparation in such a way, I haven't tasted anything close to it (as of yet of course :slightly_smiling_face:
Another one was my mother's Bobotie (a SA delicacy) - even though I've had it plenty of times, the taste of hers - she used to get it really moist and saucy...haven't had anyone prepare it that way (as of yet)
[1:09 PM]
valentin.rozman Hmm, I can not say that I have any of such cravings for the food that I tasted long time ago
tormod I remember a chocolate that is no longer produced to my awareness. it was just caramelic and tasty... BASIC i think it was called. silver paper red writing
sunettedimensions Even though there are many...these two I find I often mention frequently when reminiscing about food
[1:11 PM]
Klavdija Hiti When I was pre-school I be at home and my grandma watch over me when she cook or bake. Maybe I can't be the same pasta with walnuts or cow brain with eggs.
[1:12 PM]
tormod lol cool Klavdija, yea my fathers mother made some awesome potato-balls for dinner - quite unique so
very "own" taste
[1:12 PM]
dan I recall very tasty Italian Meatballs, from my grandmother, handed down through the family-line. I have the recipe, but not sure if I'll ever make them that delicious..
[1:13 PM]
sunettedimensions @joekou you mentioned earlier you had some foods you crave / remember - any you'd like to share?
Klavdija Hiti Or dust who popping in ours mouth, but I find it similar in shops a few years ago, but it was memory.
sunettedimensions Who else, with looking back for a moment - can reflect on such moments and experiences?
joekou yes but for me they are not things i will not ever taste again - they are just incredibly far away in another country lol
for me it is mostly snack foods - chips, cookies, candies, beverages. but there are also some restaurants that i miss - vietnamese, thai, mexican
[1:14 PM]
ingrids I most liked the lasagne and macaroni my mother made quite often when I was young. I haven't eaten it this way in a long time.
[1:14 PM]
anna I don't recall having any such experience.
[1:15 PM]
leilazm I had it where I often would go 'when I get back to Belgium I am so going to eat this and that'
But then it didn't taste anything like in me memory
Or it did but wasn't as fantastic
joekou it isn't just about the foods - it was about the experience of going to those restaurants as well as how i felt when i would treat myself
sunettedimensions Yes, @joekou this brings me to my next point
ingrids She is still here and makes nany nice meals lol but we all started to eat a little bit different and using different ingredients.
*many
leilazm And then since then I kind of dropped the food reminiscing
carlton None that I can think of at the moment, being that I still have the recipes to my most craving,lol
valentin.rozman I remember my grandmother always preparing fish and fries when I visited her but I do not have any much cravings for such food anymore.
anna Oh like that, yes there are danish foods I miss, but it's not like I can't ever eat them again. But yes, like @leilazm says my experience is almost always one of disapointment when I then eat the foods again. yes me too @leilazm
viktorpersson There was a hamburger I really liked that was offered in a restaurant were I grew up
sunettedimensions I realized that, most memories involving food and taste in the above context was with people, moments, timelines
[1:16 PM]
viktorpersson And then Thai food over-all – that is something I miss
sunettedimensions Ah interesting @viktorpersson
tormod sourdough is hitting home (!) thanks @leilazm & @viktorpersson
ingrids Yes @joekou i was also looking at how I experienced these meals back then
sunettedimensions So, with Portalling - I interestingly enough found that the memories, the MOMENTS and the TIMELINES / PERIOD in which they took place ACCENTUATED the remembrance of TASTE
tormod for inspiration
viktorpersson nice @tormod!
[1:17 PM]
joekou yes
sunettedimensions Then, looking at this, I asked myself "why taste?" - why is the remembrance of taste in memories to prominent - not the people, my experience (emotions / feelings) I had in the moment for example
joekou the food was like 'background music' to a period or moment that i enjoyed
[1:18 PM]
sunettedimensions I then tested something:
anna Yes @joekou like music
tormod endorfine ?
sunettedimensions I look at my experience when eating food
anna It is so physical?
sunettedimensions clearing myself of emotions / feelings, my expression here
anna sensual
sunettedimensions I found I experienced the TASTE of the food more :slightly_smiling_face:
The memories and remembrances of food was also of me as a childhood, my being-body connection was closest aligned - I wasn't emotions / feelings when eating, was me, enjoying myself and the food - here
You can look at the TASTE remembrance of your memories as well - the eating, you kinda also have to ask yourself: who was I when eating it in that moment in that space? Was it really about the taste or who I was in that oment without realizing it
[1:21 PM]
joekou lol i remember getting 3am tacos from a fast food place that was open 24 hours a day. i remember pulling in to the drive through window to order my late late night snack after a long day at work. the tacos themselves weren't great tasting - but they were a comfort and a treat to me
sunettedimensions Why do I mostly even now, very seldom have such remembrance - I asked myself, and wit growing into adulthood, that shift of being-body happened more, so much processing of taste would filter through the mind and truly water down the experience and my self experience in it as well
anna Some foods I remember tasting soooo good, because I was so hungry or famished - so it was also that distinct experience of being filled after being so famished.
ingrids Interesting yes
[1:22 PM]
sunettedimensions As @leilazm also mentioned - not remembering the taste then but wanting it now: you'd be different, the food will be different so will be a different experience. The point to do is to recognize the taste and self BACK THEN and yet still allow for the opportunity here to be unique to what it is
[1:23 PM]
anna One point that I often look at is how, when I was a child, food was such a cause of restriction in my life because I had so many 'allergies' and couldn't eat a lot of foods. So it became something that I experienced very much tension towards. I remember these bright blue jelly candies that I desperately wanted because of that beautiful color, But my mom said that it was toxic and bullshit - but that just made me want it even more!
viktorpersson I have looked at that in general, not only with food – I have very distinct experiences of smells, colors, faces from when I was young
sunettedimensions Awww @anna
viktorpersson For example – when I was a kid – each house I visited had its own unique smell – I remember some of them still
sunettedimensions Looking at your life now though, in the present @anna - tastes that stand out for you?
[1:24 PM]
anna Yes @viktorpersson I remember that as well - so distinctly and staircases to apartment buildings that smelled like homemade food
[1:25 PM]
tormod yea house smell right... facinating
sunettedimensions fascinating @viktorpersson - makes you wonder whether you still focus so much on smell just generally, any distinct smells in your commute to work and back, to home, outside that stand out for you - that you take note of that you'd remember as you have childhood memories of smell - or would you say this shifted into the background of your awareness and is "just there"
tormod here in camphill it smells nice from our nature friendly soap(s)
anna lol the taste that stands out right now @sunettedimensions - I'm not sure why, is the taste of pig's fat, the salty, sweet fatness and the wobbly sensation in the mouth. I associate that with comfort and safety somehow.
tormod and food... lol
[1:26 PM]
sunettedimensions Daryn's dad loves that fat as well lol - though he likes it barbequed and crispy
Klavdija Hiti When I was younger I remember that I eat orange, pears and so on, but now I don't eat it. But other story is eat tomato, or not to eat it. When I was younger my parents want that I eat it, but I still hate it. And last year I made and eat first time sauce from fresh tomatoes, maybe this year taste tomato.
sunettedimensions Cool @Klavdija Hiti
viktorpersson It is more in the background now – and I think it is because of what you said about the direct physical experience becoming watered down
[1:27 PM]
anna Another taste that stands out is the taste of mayonaise which I am still undecided whether my body likes. I've been exploring that more. It has this intense acidic flavor of vinegar together with also a fatty creaminess.
[1:27 PM]
sunettedimensions So, this is a cool exercise everyone can take with you - test it out, the experience of self when eating: am I moving in thoughts and emotions or for a moment tasting and experiencing myself, my body with the taste, really FOCUSING on the TASTE as much as we would on smell for example
lol this also made me realise I didn't just TASTE in a long time :slightly_smiling_face: - focusing on the taste itself
[1:28 PM]
anna I also realized that texture is very important as much as taste.
sunettedimensions Ahhh yes, I also enjoy salt and vinegar crisps @anna - I know the taste you speak of, it's almost complicated lol
fred It was a tough point for me - Memories are good, but we are satisfied with what memory brings us always into a alternate reality "Memory Space"(almost like Opium) and don't hv the strength and will - to create with what is Here of something(could be) even Much Greater Experience!! Besides, what's past is gone already, use memory as a reference for future projects r cool but not addicted to living in "Memory Space"
anna The sensation of something in the mouth.
[1:29 PM]
leilazm For me I found that the food in SA was so much different to that in Europe, and it took me about a year to really adapt to the food here. Then when I went back to Europe I expected to eat with ease as I used to but my body reaallly did not like all the foods and wanted the SA foods lol. Even if it tasted really good, I couldnt get myself to eat it.
anna Yes @sunettedimensions because it's contradictory in a way.
viktorpersson hehe @leilazm
leilazm and to also be okay with that, like my body changed, it doesnt want this anymore
viktorpersson I loved wimpys
that is SA food to me
joekou lol
anna Jesus @viktorpersson lol
[1:30 PM]
sunettedimensions Yes @anna - sweet and sour things I also thoroughly enjoy, the complex bursts of opposing yet complimentary flavours lol
anna I will never forever the taste of these incredibly plums I ate in SA. They were red with pink and they tasted sooo sweet but also like flowers. I've never tasted anything like that before!
*forget
lol
I will remember forever
sunettedimensions lol making me feel like one now @anna
there we go @anna now that's a good example! lol
[1:31 PM]
tormod jackfriut - try it if you can find it !
anna haha I had to warm up
tormod jackfruit*
sunettedimensions but also right there was your experience of yourself, YOU in that moment and the plum which was about the taste yes -but what memories ENHANCE the TASTE for is also cause of your being presence in that moment of tasting it
anna Interesting
[1:32 PM]
ingrids @tormod this smelly fruit with great taste right?
anna I was more here yes. Content.
leilazm all I remember about jackfruit was how sticky it was and the massive cleanup afterwards
And Bernards face as he brough it out of the car like ' LOOK WHAT I FOUND YOU GUYS!'
Klavdija Hiti When you eat you probably in peace and quiet and all smells good around you ant this is unique moment, so you want go back in that moment.
leilazm he'd come home with strange finds to test out lol
[1:33 PM]
viktorpersson lol
anna lol I also remember from the farm when Bernard would bring all the cakes home - and I was like: "Is he joking, is this a test?" "am I allowed to eat that?"
tormod yea, smells, big & yellow with big seeds @ingrids
anna And they had these wonderful milk tarts.
tormod *someone had to fetch some cholcolate
[1:34 PM]
ingrids Yes @tormod i eat it as well, nice
[1:34 PM]
tormod lol yeea
[1:35 PM]
fred For me I found memories of food taste stronger is because a bunch of reason: more sensitive taste buds, no need to worry getting old lol, not participating into the society/system yet, not so much of worries only considering playing and playing only, when I/we were small, I/we were more "experience based" instead of "energetic/mind/energy feeling junkie based"
[1:35 PM]
sunettedimensions lol @anna
[1:36 PM]
garbrielle no food memories are coming up for me
anna Why did he do that @sunettedimensions? I've always wondered
sunettedimensions Yes, so @fred you're essentially defining there what we're talking about "being aware / present more when eating accentuates taste" - so @anna cool point you saw there with the word CONTENT
[1:37 PM]
anna Yes lol
sunettedimensions do what @anna?
anna Why did Bernard bring all the cakes home? What I want to know is: WAS IT A TEST??? hahaha
sunettedimensions I also took it one step further and look at the WORDS I expressed as a kid with the food, what words stood out for me and am also now practicing living words / becoming them in the moments of eating
tormod i had a lovely salad in Paris airport with my dad, when returing from SA in January. lol it was quite nice, in the zen/zone
[1:38 PM]
anna Cool
viktorpersson Yes cool
sunettedimensions lol no @anna he always wanted to give, always wanted to make sure there was enough for everyone - more than enough
leilazm cause he could @anna
sunettedimensions He very much focused on this point with us all
anna Awww
sunettedimensions To not have you feel like "there isn't" - so he'd buy lots of everything when he could
the MORE THAN enough
leilazm same with bringing strange fruit, was like sharing that discovery and surprise
[1:39 PM]
anna Yeah I know that deep in my heart - the test thing says more about me. Obviously. lol.
Yes and chicken!
[1:39 PM]
sunettedimensions Sometimes people would initially eat everything at once, the survival instinct kicking in of "fear of losing out missing out not being enough"
over time, that system and program releases
when people realise "there is enough and there will be enough" and people learn to only eat, use and have what is needed
[1:40 PM]
leilazm yes thats what I went into, as food was very taboo at home in terms of what was availabe and what not
sunettedimensions so he was also supporting that inherent design he found promiment in many people of survival fear instinct and supported with programming that out by ensuring there is enough of everything for everyone
leilazm then at the farm I pigged out and also learnt what foods work for me and which dont
sunettedimensions That was the primary point
[1:41 PM]
anna I remember how you and Bernard would always take last @sunettedimensions, always and I had this incredible strong urge to 'get in there' and 'get mine', and it made quite an impact on me to see you calmly relax and eat when everyone else had gotten theirs.
*Maybe it's not an accurate memory but that's how I remembered it
[1:41 PM]
sunettedimensions Yes, we did do it sometimes :slightly_smiling_face:
think also mostly cause we were so busy talking or dimensions were here I bet lol
So, that "urge" though @anna also an example of that survival instinct fear energy - insteadf of being here the acceptance of enough and for all
[1:42 PM]
leilazm haha now when you make something Sunette really likes you can see her stand while you are cooking in a way that Zak looks at food, like you know she wants it lolol
anna Yes.
LOL @leilazm
sunettedimensions This woild be a cool topic to take for Friday
[1:43 PM]
tormod try sourdough bread though - it is a real gift to the body !
sunettedimensions This "fear of not enough" - survival of the fittest fight that can come out in energy form inside self towards others
anna Yes I worked with it a lot actually - because it made such impact on me to see you guys do this, but man it was strong.
viktorpersson I am one vote for sourdough
tormod lol
sunettedimensions Sourdough for president
viktorpersson lol
anna lolol
carlton Lol
[1:44 PM]
garbrielle i do that now when cooking, wait for everyone to dish up and then eat, learned that from the farm, i liked that point of ensuring all are good and then i eat what's left and this also puts an added point of responsibility to make sure there is enough for all, like a failsafe in a way
sunettedimensions Yes @garbrielle indeed
anna Very cool @garbrielle.
[1:45 PM]
garbrielle is that preprogrammed @sunettedimensions the fear of not enough, i remember it very strong as a child, like this competitive drive to get in and get mine
worked well in sports
[1:46 PM]
sunettedimensions Yes, passed down the generations - it's physical, so something that has to be changed through living action
Klavdija Hiti When I cook I try so much that I'm almost full and not need it more, because I work in restaurant and have only a few minutes for eat or I'm so bussy with cooking that I forgot for eat.
sunettedimensions ensured that drive for competition, inequality, living in and with fear
perpetuating the cycle within and without over and over and over again
So, from this chat - we can take the food and taste relationship point with us and in the meantime everyone can take a lookout for this programming of "not enough" and how the urge drives you in your daily life moments
[1:47 PM]
leilazm I remember how I would with great specificity measure and compare the chocolate desserts in the fridge at home to make sure I get the one with the most -- even though my mom insisted they all got equal amounts of spoon fulls
sunettedimensions lol @leilazm interesting
garbrielle yes makes sense in how it keeps us trapped in survival, didn't realize it was physical interesting
[1:48 PM]
sunettedimensions Yes deeply ingrained @garbrielle very much so
garbrielle lol @leilazm yes same
anna Yes I desperately tried to stop it lol but it's taken me years to work with already - so it makes sense.
viktorpersson Yes
There is not enough - and then we create it by being so obsessed with getting enough
sunettedimensions Yes
Well said @viktorpersson
Alrighty all
[1:50 PM]
anna Yes, I just saw a video of people in Venezuela, a whole group and dogs, digging after food in the middle of the street - and it's not like there's been any nature-made famine there, it's all man-made.
sunettedimensions awesome chat
Thanks so much for joining in, sharing and participating
anna *digging after food in trash
sunettedimensions Appreciate it :slightly_smiling_face:
anna Yes thank you - interesting points opened up.
sunettedimensions Yes @anna for sure
garbrielle yes cool chat, thanks all, interesting points
ingrids Thanks all
viktorpersson Great topic
fred :smile:
anna bye guys
sunettedimensions the consequences of other people's fears spreading out to different parts of the world
[1:51 PM]
tormod thanks all - not enough !
sunettedimensions Bye!
carlton Thanks all bye
Klavdija Hiti Thanks. Bye
[1:52 PM]
joekou i gotta get mine before everyone else gets more than their fair share - so i best take more than my fair share first
garbrielle bye all
anna @sunettedimensions if you have a moment to cross-reference, I have a terrible deep chest cough and have been thinking a lot about dying and death. I feel I can move through it physically (will of course seek help if needed) but I feel changes when I do SF. and like it's coming from deep within the mucus. Can you cross-ref if this is accurate?
garbrielle yes there is the system there Joe Kou,
feared induced
[1:53 PM]
anna Maybe she left
[1:53 PM]
valentin.rozman Thanks all and bye :slightly_smiling_face:

Return to “Public Chats”