kids cartoons

Share and ask your moments and experiences in random, unpredictable, sudden moments that happened to you - you'd like to understand. Whether it be during a discussion with someone and not understanding why certain thoughts / behaviours came up in you or another. Not understanding another's facial expression or even your own when looking in the mirror etc. So, this thread is dedicated to the everyday life moments we WONDER about but never ask.
christos mermigas

kids cartoons

Post by christos mermigas »

I know that television is used as a brainwashing tool.
However, when you are so pre-occupied with the daily chords around the house, eventually you will place the kids in front of the TV at some point to do something or just to spent some time quietly.
I was thinking something cartoon wise but all cartoons nowadays are too violent.
What do you think a kid should watch?
Patrick

Re: kids cartoons

Post by Patrick »

Hi,

my perspective on this would depend on how old the child is. It is true that a lot of the cartoons on TV today feature a lot of violence but on the other hand you would have to say that this also applies to older "classic" cartoons like "Tom and Jerry". I believe the main point to consider here is whether or not the cartoon transports moral values or not.
For example, "Pokemon" contains some violence but it also teaches values such as friendship, endurance and a respect for life. Other popular cartoons I would consider morally questionable such as "Dragonball" (features almost only senseless violence) and also a lot of episodes from the "Simpsons" (which, while hugely popular, feature a lot of stereotypes or role models that are in my opinion not suitable for especially younger kids). So in general I would mainly consider which message/ world view a cartoon transports in judging whether a child should watch it or not.
Anna

Post by Anna »

The thing is: we can't keep children from being introduced and part of this world in all its gory. There aren't virtually any kids tv shows that actually represent common sense or what is best for all. Why? Because tv shows are made (like everything else) in the image and likeness of ourselves, which is currently dominated by market capitalism, self-interest and consumerism. I would suggest to instead of keeping the child away from such tv shows speak to the child about what it is seeing as well as introducing the child to other activities such as cooking, being in nature and reading - activities that are more founded upon practical hereness in the physical rather than escaping into a fantasy world. So I'd say that the 'real problem' here is not as much the kids tv shows as it is the very fact that adults feel the need to and to some extent are 'forced' to park the child in front of the tv because they experience it exhausting to be with the child after a long day at work.

Here what is required is a completely new system, a system where parents are educated on what it means to be a parent as well as learning practical parenting skills for how to communicate and be with a child in a way that is both best for the adult and the child. What is required is a system where parents don't have to come home exhausted and tired and inadvertently teaching their children that 'relaxing' is to escape into a fantasy world. But at the moment this is not something we can do much about, so I'd say: watch the tv with the kid, cook together and realize that they will face this world in any case, with or without us.

The only kinds of movies that I'd suggest refraining from allowing a child to watch are violent movies and horror movies - which to a small child can be movies adults might consider quite harmless (like Cindarella, Dumbo and Bambi from Disney which I had nightmares about as a small child). If the child has strong reactions, the adult can assist the child by speaking about the movie and about the child's reactions as well as providing physical support through assisting the child to stabilize themselves.

I wrote about my own experiences with watching the Disney movie Bambi in this post where I also show how extensively such movies can affect a child - but at the same time the problem is in our general societal systems and in ourselves, where such movies are a mere consequence/outflow of who and what we've accepted ourselves as as a whole.

That's my two cents.
Leila

Post by Leila »

Cool Support Anna!
Marzanna

Post by Marzanna »

Cool !!Anna !!thanks!!
KasperKwan

Post by KasperKwan »

Educate your child before TV educates your child! There are interviews on Eqafe here is the link https://eqafe.com/series/33-parenting-p ... human-race

I was watching TV most of my childhood. I found out that learning math has very similar characteristics to playing video games (another activity that soaked up my time), and what time I placed in doing math was more valuable for the future that expects stuff from me than TV. If a child were introduced to the axioms about basic addition and subtraction, I would reckon that that would interest them: math was created through investigating reality and asking questions about how things exactly worked, and children are generally very curious about their world. A book I found is Mathematics by Serge Lang that demonstrates what math can be rather clearly.
Juan Pablo

Post by Juan Pablo »

Thanks Anna
Carrie

Post by Carrie »

Hi Christos - cool question. I've been working with the TV point for some time.
Anna wrote:The thing is: we can't keep children from being introduced and part of this world in all its gory. There aren't virtually any kids tv shows that actually represent common sense or what is best for all.
I agree with Anna here - we can't isolate children. This is something that I have attempted to do with both of my children is to protect them from what we're seeing in the world and to stand up for them rather than teaching them how to stand - which I am seeing is a multi-layer process. However, the TV assists here because as my child is exposed and shows/acts/communicates about what they/we are seeing on TV, I can direct the points that emerge now as the child grows and develops - note: this is much smoother when the child has a pretty solid vocabulary so that the points can be understood clearly and then directed effectively.

So, I see that TV is a safe tool for showing children what's really going on within and as ourselves and our world without actually placing them in or creating a scenario that could cause them harm. The TV functions like the mind in that it shows us who/what we are, what we've accepted and how we've allowed ourselves and each other to exist.
Anna

Post by Anna »

Very cool perspective Carrie!
Juan Pablo

Post by Juan Pablo »

Cool Carrie

Return to “Questions and Perspectives about Everyday Life Moments”