Materialism, and self interest

Share and ask your moments and experiences in random, unpredictable, sudden moments that happened to you - you'd like to understand. Whether it be during a discussion with someone and not understanding why certain thoughts / behaviours came up in you or another. Not understanding another's facial expression or even your own when looking in the mirror etc. So, this thread is dedicated to the everyday life moments we WONDER about but never ask.
Nicklk1795

Materialism, and self interest

Post by Nicklk1795 »

I was wondering how to depict when it is self interest when lets say looking for a guitar. I have only an acoustic guitar, and am playing electric music recently and would like an electric one, so if I'm browsing for electric guitars and watching reviews for how they sound is it cool?

Andrea Rossouw

Re: Materialism, and self interest

Post by Andrea Rossouw »

Hi Nick,

from a certain perspective you could say that all actions based from within ones own desire and wants and what makes life more comfortable is an interest of self = self-interest. Therefore to look for quality within the product you are buying is not saying that you are acting out of self interest -it is saying - from how I see it - that one is truly interested in purchasing that one item you would like enjoy yourself with and doing it right - purchasing it not according to fear or fear of money or competition - but from the starting point of the product being effective and suiting ones specific need.

The problem within the world and ourselves exists within the sub-patterns of self interest where we purchase to for example fill a gap - where buying the item gives us a certain serf value - where if you could not have it - you would not be the same. You could also look at competition - are you browsing through these reviews to pick the 'better' guitar - so that people will think better of you etc. This is where you are able to use self honesty to look at - am I using the reviews to focus my attention on the quality and specificity of what it is I am buying this product for - or am I looking for a certain product that will change how others or myself perceive me.

Nicklk1795

Post by Nicklk1795 »

Lol I never felt the need to show off my guitars. However I have had the tendency to kind of be like the child who couldn't wait wait for Christmas when it comes with guitars, so its a small energetic feeling with feeling in the ga, which can actually be somewhat negate from truly buying it for e music, and not just straight up the fulfillment of receiving the guitar. So yes is will be something to write bout in my self writing, and I could possibly relate it to my experience when playing music.

Tim Gormley

Post by Tim Gormley »

Hey Nick,

I've had this similar experience when it came to buying this microphone a few months ago. I was all excited and had all of these ideas that I was going to use it everyday and it would make such a big difference to these videos of playing music that I was going to record.

And you know what happened? I've used it like 2 times since I bought it. LOL. Doesn't mean that I won't use it again or it was a waste of money, it just showed that my 'ideas' that were created from my excitedness, were just 'ideas' and didn't really represent reality. So, it's just being aware of whether you're being directed to buy something by an excitedness and the ideas that come with it, or is it a practical purchase.

Really sounds like since you're already playing electric guitar, it makes sense for you to get your own, so you don't always have to borrow others. Happy playing.

sandymac

Post by sandymac »

Hi Nick
I agree with Tim,makes sense for you to make this purchase since you play and do not own an electric guitar now and also makes sense to research various products. Personally, I made a decision in awareness this last year, to only make purchases when I actually NEED the item. I enjoyed buying an electric piano recently and use it almost daily so that is cool. However, a point Sunette shared was, it is still cool to 'look', as in go into a store and look at the items, be it a musical instrument, an article of clothing, new music that has come out, stuff for your home, whatever. That way one doesn't suppress the desire/want to check out what is new/has come onto the market, so one can physically enjoy browsing the store/the products available and educate/inform yourself what's out there. This I have done quite a bit recently and it has worked in that, the want/desire to participate in consumerism for the sake of the energy high/feeling of excitement I receive from buying something new, has lessened and actually has disappeared. So, if I don't need something but want to walk in that store/online and simply check it out, I allow myself to do this.

viktor

Post by viktor »

About a year ago I was in a similar situation as you Nick, and I was also looking to buy a electric guitar.

I realized from the beginning that it was a self-interest point, because buying a new guitar would be something that I did for myself, because I had an interest in playing a new guitar. Though, within this I saw that it was not a mind-driven self-interest point, because in buying a new guitar I could see that I was supporting and enhancing a particular part of my life, and a particular expression of myself; my creative, musical, and expressive abilities/skills/expressions.

Thus, there are various dimensions within the word self-interest, and sometimes a self-interest can be valid, because it supports a point within self and self's process that is physical, and practical. For instance making your life more comfortable would be such a self-interest point, through for example buying a new bed, where you therein support your physical body, and enhance your practical world, and enable you to more effectively relax and revitalize your body. Yet, other times self-interest can be invalid, because it's based on some form of self-destructive desire – for example: promiscuity is a destructive desire, which might lead to harmful diseases, and/or that you compromise relationships in your world.

The primary point to take with you is that it's not about what you do, it's about WHO YOU ARE, within what you do – and here you could thus practice establishing a certain presence of yourself as you consider the purchase you're about to make – and that you create the WHO YOU ARE to be supportive, and effective, so that you're purchase becomes an expression of yourself.

What I did when I actually bought the guitar was that I played with living the words specificity, patience, exactitude – and I did this through looking at various guitars, brands, stores, and I read up on various different guitars, examined their sounds, and I asked myself what it was that I wanted to have – what type of feel I wanted in the guitar, how I wanted to experience the neck of the guitar, the playability of the guitar – and then after I was done with my research – I bought a guitar - and I've been satisfied with it.

So, you can make this purchase a process of self-expansion – and within that also learn something about yourself, and who you are within yourself, how you express yourself, what you prefer and like, and what you don't prefer and like – and what you want to support and enhance in your life and yourself.

Return to “Questions and Perspectives about Everyday Life Moments”