Prevent depressions and negative thoughts

Share and ask your moments and experiences in random, unpredictable, sudden moments that happened to you - you'd like to understand. Whether it be during a discussion with someone and not understanding why certain thoughts / behaviours came up in you or another. Not understanding another's facial expression or even your own when looking in the mirror etc. So, this thread is dedicated to the everyday life moments we WONDER about but never ask.
Norbert

Prevent depressions and negative thoughts

Post by Norbert »

As a result that I did yesterday my first step with the creation of my blog and going my 'Journey to Life' I feel much better than the days or weeks before.

Many of us are familiar that sometimes is too much weight on our shoulders.
I can not really breathe, feel happiness only for a short time, have constantly fear of being alone
The DIP lite course made already a lot clearer, so I cant wait for the next assignment that will arrive tomorrow, I was to late with the last one which immediately triggered an inner anger, since I now have to wait more than a day.

I have taken responsibility with my decisions/commitments for myself, but I still fall often in fear/anxiety to get a depression with panic.

Listening to the Destini or other music helps a little, I use this as tools too, also reading the blogs or news here in the forum.

The day should have 48 hours to avoid succumbing to stress, but that is just not possible.

Am I too impatient to realize the progress and allow it permanently? Maybe I'm too selfish, I don't know.

What other options / tools do you use to prevent depression and anxiety? The primary goal for me is to continue further/later in my blog Journey to Life and even attention to the self-correction and self-forgiveness.

Anna

Re: Prevent depressions and negative thoughts

Post by Anna »

Norbert wrote:As a result that I did yesterday my first step with the creation of my blog and going my 'Journey to Life' I feel much better than the days or weeks before.

Many of us are familiar that sometimes is too much weight on our shoulders.
I can not really breathe, feel happiness only for a short time, have constantly fear of being alone
The DIP lite course made already a lot clearer, so I cant wait for the next assignment that will arrive tomorrow, I was to late with the last one which immediately triggered an inner anger, since I now have to wait more than a day.

I have taken responsibility with my decisions/commitments for myself, but I still fall often in fear/anxiety to get a depression with panic.

Listening to the Destini or other music helps a little, I use this as tools too, also reading the blogs or news here in the forum.

The day should have 48 hours to avoid succumbing to stress, but that is just not possible.

Am I too impatient to realize the progress and allow it permanently? Maybe I'm too selfish, I don't know.

What other options / tools do you use to prevent depression and anxiety? The primary goal for me is to continue further/later in my blog Journey to Life and even attention to the self-correction and self-forgiveness.
Hi Norbert.

Very cool that you've started your Journey to Life blog! Glad you're here.

I used to have extensive depressions as well and what has assisted me is to first of all stop participating in the thoughts that the feeling of depression originates from. For me it was thoughts such as: "I'm never going to be good enough" "It's too late for me" "I'm useless." Once I slowly but surely started stopping participation in those thoughts, the feeling of depression also subsided. I applied a lot of self-forgiveness out loud and in writing to bring myself to the realization that the thoughts are not in fact reflecting reality and that I am thus not even seeing reality when I am looking from/as the mind. Something else that has assisted me greatly is to establish a daily routine of writing and specifically doing physical things such as walking or swimming.

With regards to the fear of being alone, this is something you can practice as you are laying yourself to rest at night, where you simply allow yourself to be here and feel your physical body and forgive any thoughts/anxiety that might come up.

Let us know if you'd like further support with this.

Thanks for sharing!

Suggest to open up a thread in the writing yourself to freedom section and in the members blogs section where you can place your writings and blogs.

Also please read through the forum guidelines if you haven't already.

sylvia

Post by sylvia »

Hi Norbert very cool to see you here and yes you took the step of writing yourself to freedom, making a decision like that can take that feeling of weight off of your shoulders as long as you can see that you've been placing the weight there yourself in the first place. So it's the Self-will that will get us through life in the first place and with depression, as Anna said, it's important to figure out where the origin of it started. And with Self-will you can end what you've created.

I've walked depression with my teenage daughter who's got a chronic disease. The point where she was able to see the depression coming was quite a cool point, after lots of practicing and looking inside herself, that way she could stop it at a point where it was still stoppable. Nowadays depression is only a matter of a feeling that she recognizes and therefore sees for what it is, not taking part in it is staying out off depression and entertaining herself with the feeling is taking a ride in the mind.

Depression and feeling alone are feelings that are of a similar origin and therefore can be dismissed as not entertaining the mind. Also what Anna said about going to bed and simply touch or embrace yourself as a physical being, is a great way to ground yourself and being able to handle the thoughts that may appear in such moments when you go through your day before sleeping. And yes writing before you go to bed is also an effective way to not allow thoughts that will make you go into feelings and emotions, to get the weight of it off your shoulders so to speak.

Norbert

Post by Norbert »

Hi Anna and hi Sylvia,
thank you for your quick support, and yes, I'm also glad to be here.
Well, I know also this thoughts "I'm never going to be good enough", "It's too late for me", "I'm useless" especially when I stay too long at home or in the home office. This since I lost my work in the public library end of February.
Alternatively, I go mostly into nature in my free time, take pictures or just read in a book outside. I avoid the city center, and am really not a fan of any nightlife, which does not mean that I'm too serious ... really not
Your suggestion, to apply the self-forgiveness out loud is awesome, I didn't try it until yet and will start today, I've only the experience with crying in words loud.
Something else that has assisted me greatly is to establish a daily routine of writing and specifically doing physical things such as walking or swimming.
For two years I did this in 2008 and 2009 with walking or jogging each evening - also swimming a few times/month. So I recognize now, I can change a lot here again.
Writing in my blog will be a daily routine at a special time, I think, it will be the best in the evening hours.
I'll start also the other exercise at night "simply allow yourself to be here and feel your physical body and forgive any thoughts/anxiety that might come up."
@Sylvia : I'm sure that I'll more understand about these negative thoughts/depressions with the DIP lite course. Currently I'm in the chapter of identifying feelings.

You helped me really.
Thank you again

Anna

Post by Anna »

Cool Norbert.

Let us know how it goes - and if anything comes up - we're here!

sylvia

Post by sylvia »

Yes, Norbert just take it step by step, breath by breath. And whenever you do have questions outside the course simply post them on the forum so that we can assist and support you.

Carrie

Post by Carrie »

Cool Norbert! I saw your Journey To Life blog too - thanks for sharing and walking with us.

Great support here also from Anna and Sylvia. In addition, I have found that I use depression as a way to attempt to control others and/or something in my environment that I want to change that exists outside of myself. As a person in a depression, I found myself playing a character/personality of Depression where I would tell myself that everything is hopeless, I would blame others/events/situations/environments for me changing how I feel or experience myself, and I would take on the physical characteristics of what I defined as how a Depressed Person looks and expresses. So, instead of seeing that it was required for ME to change, I saw that it was others and other things that needed to change. And I did this so that I would not have to change - I mean, if -they- change, then I won't have to.

So when I find myself 'depressed' it assists me to remind myself that I'm attempting to control/change what's outside of me rather than looking at where I am required to change and how I will live that change. Within this, it has assisted me to realize that nothing outside of myself can change who I am or how I experience myself - it is a decision that I make.

For the stress, I suggest to invest in The Atlanteans Parts 97 through 100 on Eqafe. I have found these interviews to be awesome support as I have faced Stress - they explain the origin of stress, how we create stress, and show us how to direct ourselves so that we no longer accept and allow Stress to change who we are in moments when things look overwhelming or 'too much'.

Ann

Post by Ann »

What stopped depression and anxiety for me, is simply not following the thoughts. Following them always lead me to judge myself and feel crap. Instead I see how I can direct the situation and do what I can.
Sometimes it takes time and if something returns I write it out to see what it is connected to. And yes mind constructs help a lot in that. But the main point always has been to stop the thoughts, not giving them power, not seeing them as something of value. So I have not been depressed in years. I do get nervous still, and what I usually do is focus on my breath in those moments. Especially when it is extreme and my hands start going cold and my lips start turning purple (this is my reaction to being very anxious/nervous).

And have patience with myself. Because if you go and think: 'this must end asap, i must stop this soon etc...' then that again is laying pressure on yourself instead of just assisting and supporting yourself as best as you can in that moment, without needing these thoughts about achievement. Certain scenario's that caused me major anxiety took years to get over. It doesn't have to be that long ofcourse, sometimes you can transcend it in a moment, it depends on how extensive it is and how mch you have participated in it, and to how many points it is connected.

Norbert

Post by Norbert »

Thank you also Carrie and Ann for your cool and much helping support.

Its 10:15 am and I used the early morning hours to write, to write for my 7JTL, later I'll post it.

@Anna : Last night before sleeping I'd a good experience with your suggestion, to feel the physical body and use the self-forgiveness in speaking loud the words.
@Ann : Thats also a point, that I've mostly no patience and get in panic or anxiety with fears or judging myself and feel this pressure within my whole body - maybe this is also a fact that I'd the heart attack in April with the high blood pressure ( which is much better now and sometimes to low )

Finally I'll print all your answers as help, so that I can read/see them directly in front of me
Last edited by Norbert on 20 Aug 2013, 10:30, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Questions and Perspectives about Everyday Life Moments”