What is Self Love? And How to Apply it in Process?

Share and ask your moments and experiences in random, unpredictable, sudden moments that happened to you - you'd like to understand. Whether it be during a discussion with someone and not understanding why certain thoughts / behaviours came up in you or another. Not understanding another's facial expression or even your own when looking in the mirror etc. So, this thread is dedicated to the everyday life moments we WONDER about but never ask.
Garbrielle

What is Self Love? And How to Apply it in Process?

Post by Garbrielle »

Hi everyone,

I was wondering how others have lived this principle of self love, loving oneself equal as one would love their neighbor because for me I am able to love my neighbor in a way I am satisfied with in terms of understanding and seeing within my own living how I have done this. But what I am looking at here after doing some writing on this is that I have not actually ever really loved myself, I have been loving my neighbor within the underlying desire of gaining attention from them and so their acceptance and praise. So I was interested in hearing other's perspective's on what self love is to you? And how you have lived it within your process of self honesty and becoming equal and one with what is here.

Thanks,
Garbrielle

YoganBarrientos

Re: What is Self Love? And How to Apply it in Process?

Post by YoganBarrientos »

Hi Gabrielle,
this isn't an answer on what self-love is, but just how I have lived it. Whether that is self-honest or not, I cannot say, but this is how I have lived it.

Love, with this word I always referenced my mother. There is obviously feeling attachment within that, but I see past that and also see the action, because without the action, the feeling would be unwarranted. So if she were to act differently, in a way that was not to my benefit, I would not call that love.

So for me self-love is when I brush my teeth, so I am loving my teeth. And taking care of my teeth allows me to chew and eat solid foods, so that is loving me. The same goes with everything else we humans do. Using the toilet, taking a shower, even sitting silently for a while listening to the sounds, petting the dogs, it all relates back to me. Using the toilet, I relieve my bowels. Taking a shower I remove sweat and dead skin cells. Listening, I become aware of what sounds there are. Petting, brings a sensation to my hands, or chest if I hug them. So it all relates back to me, and I enjoy that. And that constitutes self-love, because it not only includes all these things, and my pets, but also me as well.

So I would say self-love is when I include myself, or self within what I do in the moment.

So that's my answer, whether that is self-honest or not, I am not 100% sure, however as I finish writing it, I would say it is self-honest enough for me.

Anna

Post by Anna »

I agree with Yogan's definition of self-love here as being a physical practical care for self.
I was wondering how others have lived this principle of self love, loving oneself equal as one would love their neighbor because for me I am able to love my neighbor in a way I am satisfied with in terms of understanding and seeing within my own living how I have done this. But what I am looking at here after doing some writing on this is that I have not actually ever really loved myself, I have been loving my neighbor within the underlying desire of gaining attention from them and so their acceptance and praise. So I was interested in hearing other's perspective's on what self love is to you? And how you have lived it within your process of self honesty and becoming equal and one with what is here.
Something to consider here is that we can't love another as ourselves, if we don't love ourselves. That also means that the way we 'love' or treat others can be reflected back to how we 'love' (or don't love) or treat ourselves. And so in this context, you can bring that which you've seen as loving your neighbor back to yourself, in asking yourself: am I giving me attention? Am I accepting me, honoring me? So that which you've looked at getting from others, you can bring back and give to yourself. And so as you give it to yourself, as self-love, you can give it to others.

Terrone28

Post by Terrone28 »

Self-love for me is eating the foods that I want, keeping my body fit, watching the movies that I really enjoy, seeing my girlfriend(it makes me feel happy, satisfied, and loved), and doing what I want to make me feel good whenever I feel the downs in my life. Self-love for me is living life to the fullest, and this includes my love for my family, friends and a special someone, and of course loving God, they are connected with each other.

Maite

Post by Maite »

It's interesting, Terrone - did you notice how much of 'self-love' within your definition includes other people/beings and things? - If all that would not exist, or fall away - where you would have no friends, no girlfriends, no money for food or movies, no faith in any God - what would self-love be then?

Alex27

Post by Alex27 »

Maite wrote:It's interesting, Terrone - did you notice how much of 'self-love' within your definition includes other people/beings and things? - If all that would not exist, or fall away - where you would have no friends, no girlfriends, no money for food or movies, no faith in any God - what would self-love be then?
You have a point. But I think Terrone just live it the way he enjoys life. Well, I'm like him somehow.
And for me, self love is keeping my principles in life flow within me.

Return to “Questions and Perspectives about Everyday Life Moments”