What does NOTHINGNESS mean?

Ask questions related to Desteni Articles, Videos and Recordings. Share the information you have heard / read in your thread and then accordingly ask specific questions pertaining to it. This will allow others who may have similar questions now or in the future to understand the context shared in related material better.
Axel

What does NOTHINGNESS mean?

Post by Axel »

Hi all,

I am in the process of trying to translate some of Bernard's videos into German. However, I am not really sure what the word "NOTHINGNESS", which he often uses, really means. Jean-Paul Sartre places human consciousness, or no-thingness (néant), in opposition to being, or thingness (être). Here it also relates to non-existence (non-being). But I think that is not how the term "nothingness" is being used by Bernard.

In order to not confuse the meaning of it I would like to have a clear picture of what NOTHINGNESS, as he and others here at Desteni use it, really means. Therefore, I would love to hear about everyones take on it. If you will, please explain in your words what it means to you when you hear the word NOTHINGNESS in relation to DESTENI materials.

Thanks a bunch,
Axel

Gabriel

Re: What does NOTHINGNESS mean?

Post by Gabriel »

Cool that you ask this qustion Axel.

When hearing the word Nothingness in the context of Desteni and how Bernard used to use the word,

I define it as: total darkness

And: as a state of not being defined by anything in and of this world.

Gabriel

Post by Gabriel »

Speaking a little bit of German and playing with Google translate, I wonder if Nothingness could be translated as "Nichts-sein" (to be nothing).

sylvia

Post by sylvia »

Hey Axel, nothingness is in my perspective also nicely explained by Osho:
“Nothingness simply means no-thingness. All things have disappeared, and because things have disappeared there is pure consciousness left behind. The mirror is empty of any reflection, but the mirror is there. Consciousness is empty of content, but consciousness is there. When it was full of content, so many things were inside; you could not have known what it is. When the consciousness is full of contents, that’s what we call mind. When consciousness is empty of all contents, that’s what we call no-mind.” ~ Osho.com

To me, in the light of Desteni, nothingness is freeing oneself from all emotions and feelings, as in no longer being defined by it and no longer acting from it, and just be able to be in every breath and take life as it is presented here without being reactive towards life and simply understand it as my own creation and the creation of the whole.

Joao

Post by Joao »

I understand Nothingness as the point of "emptiness" -- where one is "without a thing" inside.

Are you translating the 7 years Journey to life video?

That is the point of removing all that is inside us - fears, justifications, blame, anger, jelousy, resistence, laziness etc..... all this stuff is inside us all the time, and unless we walk a process of removing it, it will determine and influence our behaviour and decisions.... So, the process of writing to get to the point of "Nothingness" - where you become "empty", "silent", nothing moves within you.

The definition of Satre is definitely not the same as Bernard means with nothingness --- even the definition of "consciousness" is very different (pretty much the opposite. Consciouenss is the CON ---- and Life is the actual source (not "consciouness", as the spirituals will say)
It is also not the same as "non-being" -- because you can Be Here (exist) and be "still"/"silent" / "empty"

If you find it helps to come up with a specific term, go for it! A new world requires new words!

tylersr

Post by tylersr »

Joao wrote:
14 Jun 2020, 12:25
So, the process of writing to get to the point of "Nothingness" - where you become "empty", "silent", nothing moves within you.

It is also not the same as "non-being" -- because you can Be Here (exist) and be "still"/"silent" / "empty"
Yes! Great points here, Joao. The more self-forgiveness writing I do, the more "space" I find within my mind, which I would most accurately describe as Silence. Where once the Waters of self were agitated by the contents / structures of the mind consciousness system, there is now a calmness, with not a Ripple moving.

Great that you mentioned writing, as that is the key to regaining this Silence/Nothingness, for that is the tool to remove the system programs which prevent this.

Great support here, All.

Axel

Post by Axel »

Thanks for all the responses. I guess I am getting some kind of an idea what this mysterious nothing-ness might actually mean. However, I am still not very clear about it, because I wonder what the difference between nothingness and emptiness might actually be. An empty mind, consciousness empty/devoid of any content - this I can understand. But nothingness? Does it mean the same as emptiness? Whats the difference, if any?

And yes, I am trying to translate the 7-year-journey-to-life and some other materials (like the 7-journey-to-life for dummies, etc.) to make it more accessible for the german audience that does not understand english too well. So I am quite interested in not messing it up too much and convey the meaning that was intended by the original author. I know about the shortcomings of language and translations in particular, but thanks to all who provided their 2 cents of worth here. Appreciate it :-)

thomaslagrua

Post by thomaslagrua »

Technically speaking, I would say that nothingness was what was in the beginning the sound of silence, sound undefined - nothing but the nature of existence. However, in terms of how Bernard used the word in reference to a state of being or becoming "nothing," I would say that he talking about letting go of all of the definitions that define us to essentially become blank-slates (undefined by anything, not even yourself - as Jack or Veno I think used to suggest). Thus, I guess nothingness would represent the essence of life as the principle of equality, oneness, what is best for all, yet not defined by anything, not even life itself.

Joao

Post by Joao »

The difference between "nothingness" and "emptiness"?
I don't know Alex... I cannot say I have expereinced any of it to absolute completion for an extented period of time, so I can only imagine.

I also do not try to dive "too deep" into concepts that seem to be too far out of my reach for the moment. If I cannot make something practical here and now, then I do not give it too much attention --- I mean, I can entertain a thought and "imagine" something -- but I am still using the mind, so it is not very reliable.

And it is interesting that you say "mysterious nothing-ness" --- when maybe it is not something mysterious at all....

Maybe look at the word this way:

No-Thing (-ness)

Being the point where there is no-thing within oneself moving -- no thoughts, no energy - just "I am Here" as a living presence.

Let's say that we are a paiting, already full of layers of paint that are our thoughts, feelings and emotions.
The process is the removal of all those layers of paint -- because the picture we have created of ourself is not Best-For-All ---- it is only ego and self-interest, limitation, fear....

So, as you remove that picture and you free yourself from that "past" -- eventually you come to the point of "no-thingness" -- where there is no paint, just the "blank canvas" -- an "emptyness".

Then starts the proces of Self-Creation as What's Best for All, as Life, Equal and One.

I hope this can help a bit more!

Marlen

Post by Marlen »

Nothingness is when you are here
and you are the standing of here:
breath is a manifestation of nothingness
it breathes.
That is the purpose and point in relationship to the entire physical
it stands within itself, as itself.
No-thing driving or motivating it but itself and
its position in relationship to the entire physical body.
Thus to stand in and as nothingness
is to find your location in the relationship
to existence as a whole in equality and oneness
where nothing moves you
but your responsibility to your point
and thus to existence as a whole

- Anu

Return to “Questions relating to Specific Desteni Articles / Videos / Recordings”