Sleeping with the infinite moment. At all possible?

Ask questions related to your individual process or life in the experience of yourself and mind - pertaining to thoughts, emotions, feelings, behaviours, habits etc. This thread is dedicated to those who'd like to understand more about the inner-workings of your own mind and then effects of this on your life and relationships.
Paul Lombardo

Sleeping with the infinite moment. At all possible?

Postby Paul Lombardo » 26 Jul 2019, 17:58

So I can do the infinite moment during the day aka four count breath. For those that don't know it is the moment in between the breath the hold moment after inhale and exhale. I tried going to sleep while practicing and I couldn't fully get to sleep. It not easy. Has anyone gone to sleep using the four count breath?

Marlen

Re: Sleeping with the infinite moment. At all possible?

Postby Marlen » 26 Jul 2019, 20:11

Nope, but it makes sense you can't 'easily' go to sleep if trying to focus on remaining aware on staying in the 'in-breath' and keep at it, while you are at the same time trying to place your body to sleep... it's like going opposite ways from my perspective. I would also suggest to not make the breathing point something that is also a 'mind activity' meaning, that it becomes another point of focus that may actually prevent you from, for example, observing your mind, the rest of your body and general experience. That is then something that would defeat the whole purpose of what 'breathing' is supposed to be about.

To me the breathing in and out and making the pause in between is something I do consciously for some time if I am in a disposition to relax my body, or doing some physical movements similar to Tai Chi. But other than that, I don't simply because I would see it as having to focus on 'two things' at the time when it comes to 'being aware of my breath all the time' in that intent or focus, while actually living life and doing the usual things.

My suggestion is: keep it simple, rather ask yourself if there's something you are aiming to 'attain' from say 'being able to stay in that in-between moment with a pause, but to me at this stage doing it with awareness while doing some exercises is still challenging even physically, so I can't really fathom walking my day just 'focusing on breath' - then I would miss out a lot of everything else that I actually need to focus on when it comes to my inner experiences, thoughts, interactions, doings, activities, etc.

That's my two cents.

Some extra support: https://eqafe.com/p/breath-compilation

Gabriel

Postby Gabriel » 02 Aug 2019, 23:25

I fully agree with what Marlen wrote.

Perhaps while resting, you can using breathing as a gentle movement with which you relax yourself and your body.

So, not focusing on the 'structure' of breathing - but making it comfortable for you to rest. You could call it natural breathing.

Andreas Wittmann

Postby Andreas Wittmann » 03 Aug 2019, 09:04

Hi

I agree with Marlens suggestion to keep the point of breathing simple, as it is simple in fact.

Though in regards to your question, in a time where i would focus a lot on breathing and saw it as a main focus point of process, i did go to sleep "breathing", or being aware of and counting my breath, which worked for me and was quite comfortable and enjoyable i have to say. Much like going into a silent/dark state more and more and being "gone" at some point. When i would wake up the next day, usually the first thing i would focus on was breathing and counting my breath.

I could not sustain that for to long though (maybe a few months), which, as noted, is also not the purpose of process. For me, it was or is more in social situations or working, that i would "lose awareness of my breath", when i am focused on "external events". As said before, doing "two things" that are moving in separate directions is kind of hard and also one has to take care to not use breath/breathing to suppress thoughts, feelings and emotions.

Cool discussion however, being more aware of/in/as breath had a lot of benefits for me, like becoming more aware of my mind, of what is present and to stay present instead of automatically drifting of into the mind. Makes me want to pay more attention to my breath again!

tormod

Postby tormod » 05 Aug 2019, 20:25

Greetings Paul

Cool question & debate. For me the bell of regime/dictator rings here. I have how ever found it helpful/needed to walk very close to my breathing for many years - (walking with schizophrenia) - so that what Marlen is writing here is really a wake up call to me. I would like to "loosen up" my breathe regime, because it has been quite strict and .... I have been to hard on myself. I ask myself what could happen - if I loose up on my rigidness - within this - breathe regime ? I have been practicing the 1,2,3,4 regime quite intense. And today - having walked through many larger mind constructs and having done SF on points consistently for over 7 years, I ask myself : what is it that this breathe regime is doing to me ? What is the outcome/consenquences of the constant 1,2,3,4 - breathe ?
Can I dare to loosen it up and be more "free" ? Would those 7 years be in vain ? Would I stand to loose face ? So you can say a pandoras box opens for me here. Literally. I read this post now today and have for a few hours be practicing the more easy going breathe, minding the in and the out breathe only, not counting to 4 but only minding the in & the out. Looking at loosening this also more the coming days. To be more focused at self honesty, self awareness and living words - to be more productive/in activity. So thanks Paul, Marlen, Gabriel and Andreas for the share. Lets keep it real and responsible. I am walking new ground. And I quite enjoy it so far.

Marlen

Postby Marlen » 08 Aug 2019, 16:44

Cool share Tormod, I'd say nothing is really 'lost' in anything that you do for self support. Reading this might have simply opened you up to consider aspects that you may now implement with more ease after all the practice you've had over the years with the four count breath. Taking it 'simple' as in simply testing it out, see how it works for you, what changes and then decide what you'd like to continue living/doing in that regard.

Thanks for sharing

Marlen

Postby Marlen » 08 Aug 2019, 23:34

Also suggest to read this post by Leila on all things related to 'breath/breahing/ four count breath' for further perspectives: https://forum.desteni.org/viewtopic.php ... 775#p69920

Return to “Questions and Perspectives on the Mind and Self”