Meditation

Ask questions related to your individual process or life in the experience of yourself and mind - pertaining to thoughts, emotions, feelings, behaviours, habits etc. This thread is dedicated to those who'd like to understand more about the inner-workings of your own mind and then effects of this on your life and relationships.
Paul Lombardo

Meditation

Postby Paul Lombardo » 25 Sep 2019, 17:39

I've heard in a number of interviews on Eqafe that meditation is not desirable. Bernard made a video called Real Meditation. Can I meditate if I want? I mean laying down shutting my eyes and breathing is basically meditation. I wasn't clear on why meditation was not desirable in the interviews. Will there be consequences if I meditate? What is Real Meditation? What defines Meditation?

Marlen

Re: Meditation

Postby Marlen » 25 Sep 2019, 19:44

I've heard in a number of interviews on Eqafe that meditation is not desirable. Bernard made a video called Real Meditation. Can I meditate if I want? I mean laying down shutting my eyes and breathing is basically meditation. I wasn't clear on why meditation was not desirable in the interviews. Will there be consequences if I meditate? What is Real Meditation? What defines Meditation?

Hi Paul, whichever you choose to do or not to do should always be your choice - no one can really tell you what you should or shouldn't do. That's where self-responsibility lies within anything, no matter what you may read or get to know about, test things out for yourself.

My understanding of meditation - as most people may do it - is a momentary shut down or 'separation' from the mind to 'shut it up' where for a moment there can be such detachment, a 'special moment' created for it separate from the rest of the day where one then goes into this 'alternate experience' where you are then consciously trying to or aiming to be thoughtless or don't have your mind moving you. There are some that I understand involve some visualizations and so on = all of it sounds more like a creation of the mind where one is not necessarily aware of the physical body.

I've also heard on there being consequences in many levels if practicing meditation - I assume is because of this 'moment of separation' that is created as this time of 'meditation' - however, there can be certain elements of it that can be cool to practice. Like you say, laying down and consciously breathing - not falling asleep, not trying to 'shut down the mind' but being aware of the body and breathing, that sounds like a moment with yourself where you can still see what comes up in your mind, not trying to 'shut it off' or shove it aside, but can simply self forgive whatever comes in your mind as a point of distraction and take a note of it to direct it later on through writing or through getting to sort out whichever is bothering you or coming up as a nuisance or problem.

I remember how the idea then of rather practicing being more aware of the body, of breathing throughout the whole day is then a 'real meditation' in the sense that you are not creating a separate time or moment to 'detach yourself from everything' and go into some kind of 'quietness' which is only real as a mind-experience. Instead, you incorporate your day to day routine, living, responsibilities, attending to what you need to do while integrating more of a physical awareness, which doesn't mean you have to 'not feel anything' - but the other way around, becoming aware of your mind, your physical energetic reactions- positive or negative - so that you can more practice Self-Awareness at a mind and physical level, rather than wanting to 'shut everything down' and 'not feel anything' and just go into this artificial quietness.

As I've mentioned before in other threads, I've been integrating more of a breathing awareness through certain physical exercises or practices that involve an active awareness of breathing along with physical movements, which to me facilitate more this kind of 'real meditation' if you will that doesn't require to only exist while the practice lasts, but can practice integrating that awareness at any moment of your day, which ultimately I'd say is one of the goals in this process, to become more physical - rather than creating a mind experience of quietness or stillness in/through certain kinds or types of meditation.

Let me know if something is not clear.

Gabriel

Re: Meditation

Postby Gabriel » 02 Oct 2019, 21:58

Can I meditate if I want? I mean laying down shutting my eyes and breathing is basically meditation. I wasn't clear on why meditation was not desirable in the interviews.

Hi Paul, if you approach meditation as simply that: laying down and shutting your eyes and breathing - then it can be a way to support yourself with physical awareness: you as breath being here with and as your body breathing - no thoughts, no imagination, no memories, no projections, no visualisations, no daydreaming - simply being here and breathing. And then, if thoughts do come up, you can speak self-forgiveness out loud about the thought. This way you remain the directive principle in and through your meditation.

However, as Marlen explains - this is often not how meditation has been approached at all, with many layers of mental projections and alternate realities being added to the mix (all made up in the head), and this is why this type meditation has often been questioned in the interviews.

Return to “Questions and Perspectives on the Mind and Self”