Clothes brand

Ask questions related to your individual process or life in the experience of yourself and mind - pertaining to thoughts, emotions, feelings, behaviours, habits etc. This thread is dedicated to those who'd like to understand more about the inner-workings of your own mind and then effects of this on your life and relationships.
frank

Clothes brand

Postby frank » 16 Oct 2019, 06:35

I don't really know what desteni's perspective is, from what I experience, the brand you wear could influence you.

For instance I put on adidas shirt, then I would feel a kind of suppressed anger, just like Germans are always angry and complain about their environment.

So if it could have a influence on you, then how do I know if it is the right clothes I choose that could lead me to a better way? Is there a universal clothes brand for us as Desteni?

Marlen

Re: Clothes brand

Postby Marlen » 17 Oct 2019, 00:45

Hi Frank,

Well considering this is a genuine concern for you, first thing is to consider that there is nothing and no one that can 'affect' you as such. Meaning, nothing and no one can 'activate' per se any of your experiences or reactions. Things, people, colors, brands, names can 'trigger' reactions in you which is quite different from the 'affecting' you point. So, consider this so as to not go creating prejudices, ideas, opinions about the things, people, colors, words, brands or whatever you see in the world as 'being able to have an effect on you'

For example, you can start with writing self forgiveness on such experience when wearing certain 'name' or brand, so that you can then focus on what is genuinely relevant for example, the comfort of the clothing item, whether it supports you, whether it is uncomfortable based on the fitting, the fabric, whether it allows you to move etc. That to me is how I then approach clothes mostly, how comfortable I feel in the clothes I wear and I also like exploring my relationship to certain colors I wear but it's merely a preference or choice, it's not like 'it gives me something' and If I catch myself creating such idea, then I rather look at how to integrate such expression as part of who I am so that it is not only 'triggered' by certain color or clothing item.

So no, lol, no 'universal brands' - I've rather explored creating my own clothes as well which I've enjoyed doing for over a year now I realize, and that's been satisfying as well to see what it entails to create a clothing item by hand, so that's my way of exploring this. In terms of brands, I only look at brands as having certain reputation of quality, perhaps this was more accurate in the past when things were made with a better quality, but I don't particularly enjoy wearing 'brands' names anywhere on my clothing either, though if I had to, I would not bother either, it's a preference point as well.

Therefore you can look at how to change your approach towards clothes, for example focusing more on how they support you, meaning whether they are comfortable, whether they serve their purpose of protecting your body, whether they also perhaps assist you in certain expressions you are exploring, whether they serve the purpose of having them for particular occasions or contexts like for certain job, sports practice, being around in the house etc. So that's entirely your individuality, your expression, your decision and choices that you see support your body and your expression the most.

That's about all I can say about clothes, and generally also relevant to point out to be aware of not creating of desteni some type of 'rules' or 'guidelines' that we have to live by.... otherwise it sounds like restrictive and limiting into whatever you may decide to live or create of yourself in your life. As long as you consider what's best, what's possible, what's doable and feasible for you to use that's supportive, then that's a cool starting point in relating to clothes for example.

Ok, take care

Gabriel

Postby Gabriel » 18 Oct 2019, 21:56

Hi Frank, the comments Marlen made are very relevant, especially in regards to giving your power away to clothes as something that could influence and control you.

In this sentence for instance:
For instance I put on adidas shirt, then I would feel a kind of suppressed anger, just like Germans are always angry and complain about their environment.

the thing to do would be to investigate a bit further, for instance by asking yourself: okay but what is this supressed anger really about? Did I have experiences as a child in regards to clothing that would influence the way I experience myself towards certain clothes today?

This way you source the experience back to yourself and you start realising it is not so much the clothes 'doing something to you'.

frank

Postby frank » 21 Oct 2019, 05:46

Hi Frank,

Well considering this is a genuine concern for you, first thing is to consider that there is nothing and no one that can 'affect' you as such. Meaning, nothing and no one can 'activate' per se any of your experiences or reactions. Things, people, colors, brands, names can 'trigger' reactions in you which is quite different from the 'affecting' you point. So, consider this so as to not go creating prejudices, ideas, opinions about the things, people, colors, words, brands or whatever you see in the world as 'being able to have an effect on you'

For example, you can start with writing self forgiveness on such experience when wearing certain 'name' or brand, so that you can then focus on what is genuinely relevant for example, the comfort of the clothing item, whether it supports you, whether it is uncomfortable based on the fitting, the fabric, whether it allows you to move etc. That to me is how I then approach clothes mostly, how comfortable I feel in the clothes I wear and I also like exploring my relationship to certain colors I wear but it's merely a preference or choice, it's not like 'it gives me something' and If I catch myself creating such idea, then I rather look at how to integrate such expression as part of who I am so that it is not only 'triggered' by certain color or clothing item.

So no, lol, no 'universal brands' - I've rather explored creating my own clothes as well which I've enjoyed doing for over a year now I realize, and that's been satisfying as well to see what it entails to create a clothing item by hand, so that's my way of exploring this. In terms of brands, I only look at brands as having certain reputation of quality, perhaps this was more accurate in the past when things were made with a better quality, but I don't particularly enjoy wearing 'brands' names anywhere on my clothing either, though if I had to, I would not bother either, it's a preference point as well.

Therefore you can look at how to change your approach towards clothes, for example focusing more on how they support you, meaning whether they are comfortable, whether they serve their purpose of protecting your body, whether they also perhaps assist you in certain expressions you are exploring, whether they serve the purpose of having them for particular occasions or contexts like for certain job, sports practice, being around in the house etc. So that's entirely your individuality, your expression, your decision and choices that you see support your body and your expression the most.

That's about all I can say about clothes, and generally also relevant to point out to be aware of not creating of desteni some type of 'rules' or 'guidelines' that we have to live by.... otherwise it sounds like restrictive and limiting into whatever you may decide to live or create of yourself in your life. As long as you consider what's best, what's possible, what's doable and feasible for you to use that's supportive, then that's a cool starting point in relating to clothes for example.

Ok, take care
So Marlen,

Was what you say could also apply to other things like books?

Sometimes I feel IELTS educational books in my home could generate something that could influence and suppress me and my expressive nature.

Marlen

Postby Marlen » 21 Oct 2019, 17:37

So Marlen,

Was what you say could also apply to other things like books?

Sometimes I feel IELTS educational books in my home could generate something that could influence and suppress me and my expressive nature.

Yep, basically it is to apply that principle of 'investigate all things and keep what's best' from everything and everyone in the world. This is then coming from the realization that nothing and no one can really influence you unless you accept and allow it - meaning unless you participate in thoughts, experiences like emotions, opinions, judgments, beliefs about such thing like a book or a person or a color or piece of clothing 'could influence you' or 'make you do things' that you don't really want to do or experience.

Remember that this is all about self-responsibility and that means understanding that whatever we experience within ourselves, we create it - no thing and no one else can do that 'to us'

Return to “Questions and Perspectives on the Mind and Self”